“An Excellent Choice for San Diego”

Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Ranked #72 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Portland, Oregon
“An Excellent Choice for San Diego”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is our second stay at the Hilton Bayfront San Diego. It is very close to the zoo if you are headed there. It sits right on the bay with spectacular views and is conveniently located next to the convention center and across the street from the Gaslamp district. Now let's get down to what you want to know. The customer service is spectacular, the hotel is beautiful and spotless. The rooms are decorated lovely, very clean and appointed with everything you need. I will say if you are going to the pool, arrive early, seating can be a challenge. This is a great choice for families or if you are on business.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank mama2001
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. I am happy to know that you loved your recent stay and that you appreciated our convenient location close to all the best San Diego has to offer. I am ecstatic to hear that you received impeccable service throughout your stay and that you found your accommodations clean, comfortable, and inviting. Thank you for your feedback and I hope you return for a visit again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newport on Tay Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stayed for four nights to explore the city before moving to La Jolla. Hotel is right at the end of the quayside and is really quiet with lovely views over to Coronado. It is really easy and relatively quick to walk to the Gaslamp District where there are lots of restaurants and shops. Hotel is also right opposite Pecto Park if you are a baseball fan. The trolley tour has a pick up point at the hotel which is really handy and is worth doing. It is also lovely to walk right along the quay and visit Seaport Village, shops there are a bit touristy but some quirky things to buy, also some not too bad restaurants. The hotel is big and quite impersonal, dealing with lots of conventions. Pool and pool area not really big enough for the size of the hotel and was crowded and difficult to get a lounger. Starbucks good option for breakfast.

Room Tip: We were offered the option to upgrade to a room with a bay view at $20. We declined this offer and w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AllyL
Thank you for choosing to stay with us before your move to La Jolla. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your visit and that you appreciated our convenient location on the bay and within walking distance to Petco Park and the lively downtown Gaslamp Quarter. I am delighted to hear that you were impressed with our beautiful views of the bay and that you were happy with the trolley stop just outside the hotel for easy travel to many of San Diego’s most desirable tourist destinations. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and I do hope you return for a staycation once you get settled in your new San Diego home.
East Anglia, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Great location just 5 minutes walk from the Gaslamp. Lots of restaurants and entertainment nearby.
We upgraded to a bay view room and got a wonderful view from the 20th floor.
We strolled along the bayfront to Seaport village and continued to USS Midway. You can also get Hornblower boat tours of San Diego around here.
Pool overlooks the bay (though we had a cargo ship parked just outside for 2 days which took up a little of the view! )
I would have rated a 5 if there weren't Wifi and high parking fees, unfortunately that seems to be the norm for majority of hotels in this area. Oh, and the bathrooms are nice but a little small.
We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sunloverEast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

This is the first time I stayed at this hotel and it was for the San Diego Comic Con. Everything a out this place was great, from the cleanliness of the rooms to the view and scenery (I never ate at the hotel).

I just had two issues with this place: First, because we checked in with three people, instead of two, the hotel charged us 45$ more because of it, we were already paying $295 per night, on top of that.

Second, we had two cars and had to pay $28 for parking, and this is if we came in and out of the structure.

SDCC hotels are already expensive as it is, adding one person and a car to that shouldn't merit raising the prices.

Other than that it was an enjoyable stay... as long as you get the view of the Marina and not where we were at... the shipping and receiving area.

• Stayed July 2013
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful hotel in a great location. The buffet breakfast is great as our kids ate for free. I think it's a bit stingy of Hilton to charge so much for wifi especially when it's complimentary at so many other hotels. Also it is annoying that you do not accrue Hilton Honours points if you book through a 3rd party supplier. What this tells me is that I have to book through the overpriced Hilton website itself to collect points. What's the point?

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank HurleySmith
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with our future guests. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and that you loved our convenient location on the bay with beautiful views and within walking distance to a variety of shops and restaurants in the downtown Gaslamp Quarter. I am pleased to know that you were impressed with our breakfast buffet at Vela and appreciated that your kids ate for free. I sincerely apologize that you would prefer complimentary wifi, but for future reference, we do offer free wifi in all our common areas plus iPads in Odysea Lounge for guest use. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Downey, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Second year in a row came here for the Fourth of July. Like everyone has said location is great and that is the reason I returned this year. You can walk over the pedestrian bridge to Gaslamp, Petco and the Trolley. Short walk to Seaport village and Hornblower and the USS Midway and steps away from the ferry to Coronado.

Good Service: Arrived early and was given early check in. I was asked if I would like to upgrade, I declined but when I was given my room I had a nice corner room with views of the city the bridge as well as the bay and of course the Dole plant. I am a HH member so I do not know if that played a factor so thanks Jorge.

Bad Service. Service at the pool on the Fourth of July was bad and inconsistent. Early on food looked good and was coming out on time. In the evening service was slow and the food did not look like it did during the day. It was awful. We waited over an hour for our food and no one ever came back to check on us. They did not bring silverware and in the end had to walk out without signing my check because NO ONE was able to help us. On the other hand Hotel suits (managers) were more than happy to help, who knows who they were, with gifts prompt food and drinks. Very unacceptable.

Room was nice and clean. Bath tub was clogged but maintenance came right up to fix it. At night the room made same interesting noises. One was what seemed to me water pipes, almost like toilet flushing. Second was this loud clicking/clanking that we had no idea where it was coming from. That we did not report just because we did want to go through the trouble of changing rooms,

Pool. I like the additions they made adding a second hot tube as well as the kids area. Water is heated so even if its cool and breezy outside the pool itself feels warm. The addition of the bar and eating area are also a plus. They tried fixed the security problem from last year, meaning they actually had security this year to check if you are a guest before you enter but agin they fell short. The people they had working seemed more like prison guards rather than security. I do not think the had proper training to deal with all the extra children on the property for the holiday. Also again many suits all over the pool area doing I dont know what. They did keep focusing on the floor around the pool. And there was this one female employee not sure if she was security or a suit but she spent hours just running around like a chicken with no head. She was all over the place.

All in all a nice stay. I am not a frequent traveler so I am easy to please. And the highs of my stay still out weigh the lows.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank FREDLOW1
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Wasn't impress with the quality of food and services provided. Room service - lotion was never replaced (stayed for 4 days!), trash can was not emptied, shower soap disappered?!!! on the second day and never been replaced! The food was HORRIBLE - breakfast looked like left overs from previous day breakfast. It was definitely my last stay with Hilton.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback and for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to San Diego. I am sincerely sorry to hear that your stay was not what you were hoping for and that were some aspects of your visit that were frustrating for you. I want to assure you that it is never our intention to upset or inconvenience any of our guests, and we do our best to ensure that all our guests have the best experience possible each time they visit. I am very sorry that our housekeeping team was not efficient in meeting your needs throughout your stay. I will be sure to relay your feedback to our Director of Housekeeping so that he can address your concerns with the staff. Also, I am very sorry that you did not enjoy our breakfast buffet at Vela, but I assure you that all the food we serve our guests is fresh and cooked to order and we never use leftover food for our buffet. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and I do hope you reconsider choosing to stay with us again in the future.