“Wonderful Stay”

Ranked #78 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful Stay”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and son were attending a conference in San Diego at this hotel so I went along for the trip. We had reserved a regular room with a bay view, but we were upgraded to a corner room, which had views of the city, bay and sunset. It was worth it for the views! The hotel and room were beautiful and the beds were very comfortable. We slept very well. Our son's room was very nice too, but without all the windows and views.
The pool area was exceptional. It was overlooking the bay and had its own bar and restaurant. I spent every afternoon there and really enjoyed it.
The only hotel restaurant we ate at was the Fox Sports Grill. The food was good, the view of the bay was great and the prices weren't bad for San Diego. They had a nice outdoor sitting area and we had lunch out there one day. On weekends they also serve breakfast.
The location of the hotel was perfect for us. There is a walkway that goes from the hotel to Seaport Village. The walkway goes along the bayfront and on the way to Seaport Village you pass hotels, restaurants, marinas and the convention center. I walked to the end of Seaport Village every morning and it was great! You can get to Seaport Village in about 10 minutes.
The other big plus is if you walk out of the lobby of the hotel and go right you cross a walkway over to Petco Park and the Gaslamp District. We went to the Gaslamp District every night for Happy Hours and dinner. One night we attended a Padres game. It was about a 5 - 10 minute walk to Gaslamp or Petco.
The service at the hotel was great. The day we left I gathered up all the luggage, duffel bags and cooler from our room and our sons room and had it all in our room. The bellhop came up to help and took everything on one cart and then followed us to the lobby, waited with us while we checked out and then loaded everything into one taxi. Excellent service!

Room Tip: Corner rooms on a high floor have great views and are quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for your excellent review and for choosing to visit us while your husband and son attended their conference. I am pleased to know that you loved our convenient location situated right on the bay and within walking distance to all the best dining, shopping, and entertainment that downtown San Diego has to offer. I am delighted to learn that you were impressed with your beautiful accommodations complete with a view of the bay, downtown, and Coronado Island. I am overjoyed to hear that all of the team members that you encountered during your stay were courteous and friendly and that they provided outstanding service throughout your stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to welcoming back you and your family on your next visit to San Diego.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,147)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Raleigh NC
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I am at this hotel right now and will be checking out in an hour. I thought I would reflect on my observations while they are fresh.

The location is great and the view outstanding. Being on the 29th floor, I was impressed by the panoramic view. The lobby is spectacular and is a great place for a conference which I have attended.

The problem was the hours of the restaurants which always seemed to be closed when we wanted to go. Yesterday, both the Odyssey and the Vela were closed around noon time and so we had to dine poolside. The meal of a hotdog and veggie wrap was below par but the price was staggering. After getting the check for the two items plus two teas, I was stunned to see the price. I placed a 15% tip in the tip space and just as I finished signing I noticed a small statement on the receipt saying an 18% gratuity had been added for poolside. This meant I had inadvertently gave the waitress who had only checked on us once, a 33% tip for mediocre service and substandard food. Very disappointing with the total damage $48.

The chairs in the Odyssey and the Vela are very deep and awkward to sit in making it almost impossible to sit in them with your back against the backrest. I did see some normal chairs but where we were seated the two times we dined there, the seating was uncomfortable.

Outside of the poolside event, the food was very good and the other service above average. As a Diamond member with Hilton, I have a pretty high standard for Hlltons and this one was not in line with most.

Rochester, United States
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We spent a week at the hotel in June. The rooms are very nice and bed was very comfortable. The hotel is located within walking distance to many different areas of San Diego (Gaslamp quarter, Seaport village, Petco Park, Coronado ferry service, etc.) A special thanks to Sweet Treats located on the hotel property for delicious frozen yogurt. Overal a great stay, but a couple of minor issues: some TV channels lost signal intermittantly, the pool did not have a depth over 4.5 ft., and check-in was a little slow after arriving at 3am due to a delayed flight, even after I had called ahead to confirm the reservation.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Located very close to the convention centre and the Gaslamp Quarters, the hotel is conveniently placed. The rooms are smallish and the decor dated, but the views across the harbour quite make up for these.
My check in was excellent with only a short wait as I am an HHonor member, though those without the privilege had to queue up.
Concierge services are very efficient, with all questions answered.
The beds are comfortable, toilets adequate and toiletries of an acceptable standard.
The fare in the restaurants is good, with large servings and a very friendly serving staff.
No shortcomings during our stay.

Room Tip: A high floor would help
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DeeBee00
Los Angeles, United States
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I chose this hotel because it was the closest and most convenient access to the Gas Lamp District. The staff was accommodating, the amenities were well kept and on-point and the pool and facilities were amazing. I could not have asked for a better hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for your recent 5 star review and for choosing to stay with us during you visit to the downtown San Diego area. I am delighted to learn that you loved the hotel and that you received impeccable service throughout your stay. I am pleased to know that you loved our brand new pool area complete with our new open-air lounge, The Pool Club. I am grateful to hear that you appreciated our convenient location on the bay, within walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter, perfect for your summer getaway. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This hotel is, indeed, commendable for its spacious lobby with beautiful flowers, rooms with lovely views, and having local shopping, sports and sightseeing within leisure strolling distance. However, all this can be rendered meaningless if they cannot be seen. Excitement to be attending my first National Energy and Utility Affordability Conference had been building over the past months and I finally had kindred spirits with whom to talk on the flight to San Diego and van ride to the hotel. I was in the lobby standing in line to check in when I realized I left my glasses on the airplane. Fortunately, a hotel staff member, Alex Lucero, provided personalized service to not only ensure I understood what I was signing for my stay in the hotel but that I was also connected to appropriate airline staff to retrieve my glasses from the plane before it flew out of the airport and arranged to have them delivered to the hotel. Exceptional!

1 Thank DRegan49
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience. I am pleased to know that you truly enjoyed your visit here at the hotel and that you received amazing customer service from our team. I am ecstatic to learn that Alex was so helpful in arranging to get your glasses from the plane back to you at the hotel before its departure and helped ensure you had a memorable visit with us. I will be sure to give him special recognition for his outstanding customer service. Thank you for your feedback and I do hope you come back for a visit again in the near future.
tx
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

This is my 2nd time to stay in this hotel. The hotel is very nice, clean, modern/contemporary decor. It is directly on the water, hence the name Hilton Bayfront. The only reason I say this is to confirm that it is directly on the water. I have been to hotels that fib about location.
Great view of Coronado!
It is directly next door to the convention center but if you want to walk around downtown I would say its not the best hotel for that.
If you want a great view & clean hotel- this is your place.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your amazing review and for choosing to stay with us again during your recent trip to San Diego. I am so happy to know that you loved your stay and that you found the hotel clean and comfortable and that you truly appreciated our beautiful views of the bay and Coronado Island. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit to San Diego.