“Bayside no benefit”

Ranked #72 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Moorestown, United States
“Bayside no benefit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

Don't let the allure of the bayside location fool you. My room overlooked miles of trucks at a Dole packing facility and the walk to any part of San Diego meant crossing a big pedestrian bridge....68 steps up and then 68 steps down. Yes, after doing this several times a day, I began to count.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Visited in April 2013 for a conference that was in the hotel. Location is great and convenient for quick access to the gas lamp district and also great views of the harbor. Lobby is nice and large with free wifi for hotel guests. Buffet breakfast was tasty and adequate variety of hot and cold food. I had bed and breakfast so it made sense to go for the buffet.
There's direct access via a bridge to the other side of the road where you can access the Trolley system that gets you around town very easily. Enterprise rent a car has its desk inside the hotel making it extremely convenient to pick or drop off a car.
The rooms are not so great but bathrooms large and well maintained. The in room wifi is free for HHonors Gold members but 13$ plus for regular folk which I thought was not just expensive, but the signal kept dropping every few minutes, which was really annoying. All in all a good stay, though certainly not so memorable.

Room Tip: Higher floors, facing the bay are better.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am pleased to know that you were comfortable during your recent stay and that you appreciated our convenient location on the bay and within walking distance of the convention center, Petco Park, and the San Diego Trolley. I am glad to hear that you loved our delicious breakfast buffet at Vela as well as the complementary wifi throughout many areas of the property. I want to thank you for your loyalty as an HHonors member and let you know that we truly appreciate your business as well as your feedback. I do hope you come back to see us again on your next trip to San Diego.
Glendale, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed at this hotel the past weekend with some friends. We had 2 rooms reserved. When we checked in the rooms were not ready as we wanted to be on the same floor as our friends so we upgraded our rooms. After a few hours and HHonors desk trying to expedite it still nothing was happening. After 3 hours of waiting we were getting frustrated that we still didn't have a room - it was aftern 4:00 p.m. We had been at this hotel the previous year and we saw at the front desk the same person who had helped us the previous year. His name is Chris and we decided to speak with him. He was just wonderful. He was attentive and listened to our concerns and really worked very hard to come up with a solution. I think he is a great asset to the hotel. He was decisive and came up with a solution very quickly and within 15 minutes we were in our room. After that our stay was wonderful. We had rooms with beauitful views and we really enjoyed our stay. Thank you Chris for taking such good care of us. We should have more people like him. Elizabeth Y.

Room Tip: get a room on the higher floor and ask for the city and bay view rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elizabeth Y
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed at the Bayfront Hilton during a recent Conference was pleased with the facility and the services. Great Breakfast buffet. The views from the hotel on the bayfront were beautiful and restful. Access to the bay walk was a great feature!

Room Tip: Well appointed, clean, spacious and QUIET!
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

What an expensive dump...room smelled like a old bar..complained but nothing happened until I found the source...used cigarette butts in a glass of water in a drawer. I nearly puked and totally ruined by breakfast (which included a $12 coffee -- ordered a cup was sent a carafe). Certainly would avoid this one if you can.

Room Tip: The higher you are -- the better the view of the bay.
1 Thank patrick d
Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback. I am sincerely sorry and very embarrassed of what you found in your guestroom. I am so sorry that you were inconvenienced and that you were frustrated with the lack of attention to your concerns. This type of customer service is not acceptable and I will be sure to relay your feedback to our Director of Housekeeping. Our housekeeping team does do their best to ensure that every guestroom is in pristine condition for every new guest. I want you to know that we do not allow smoking in our guestrooms, and I am very sorry that this was the impression you received during your stay. I do hope that you will give us another chance and return for a stay in the future. Thank you.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

I traveled to San Diego last May for a conference, which was held at the San Diego Hilton right on the waterfront. The hotel is airy, clean and modern feeling. It's got fabulous views of the harbor area. I spent two nights there and found it an excellent experience overall.

Room Tip: Ask for a room up high with a bay view ... I think it's worth it even if you have to pay a sligh...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Irvine, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

The Hilton San Diego Bay Front is located on Harbor and Park right on the bay and just 5 minutes drive from I-5. It has valet parking as well as self parking. There is a parking fee. So be prepared to pay up for every night you stay there. I self parked and took the elevator to the main level. It’s a short walk. The hotel lobby is beautiful and has 4 checkin counters. When I arrived 3 were available for arriving guests, there was no line and it was a fast and friendly checkin. The guy behind the checkin counter was polite and friendly and assisted me with questions I had about the hotel and surrounding areas. He told me there was a Starbucks on the lower level as well as a Frozen Yogurt place down there. I did see it but didn’t get a chance to eat there. They also have a pool and a restaurant on the lower level. Oh yes, there is a little gift shop on the lower level that has some snacks, drinks and other items you may have forgotten to pack for yourself and the kids. Our corner room was on the 9th floor. Quiet hallway with rooms on either side led us to our room. The room was beautiful with an awesome view of the bay, the convention center and Coronado island. See my pictures of the room. The bathroom was sparkling clean and had multiple towels for use. If you’re staying here and planning on visiting the Gaslamp quarter, its just a short 10 minute walk, leave your car at the hotel, because you have to pay for parking at the Gaslamp Quarter. Another short walk from the Hilton Bay Front is the Sea Port Village, its about a 15 minute walk along the bay. Yup you have to pay for parking at the Seaport Village too, so just walk here and save yourself some money on parking. It’s a beautiful walk along the bay.
Overall I would rate the hotel 5 stars for location, wonderful room, service, quality, professionalism and friendliness of the employees. See my pictures.
Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Get a corner room so you have better views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for much for your glowing review. I am ecstatic to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and that you loved our convenient location on the bay with beautiful views as well as within walking distance to all the downtown area has to offer. I am pleased to learn that all the team members that you encountered were very polite and accommodating and that you appreciated the impeccable service that you received throughout your stay. Thank you for sharing your outstanding review as well as your photos with our future guests. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to San Diego!