“very nice hotel with beautiful views”

Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Ranked #76 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Glendale, California
“very nice hotel with beautiful views”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed at this hotel the past weekend with some friends. We had 2 rooms reserved. When we checked in the rooms were not ready as we wanted to be on the same floor as our friends so we upgraded our rooms. After a few hours and HHonors desk trying to expedite it still nothing was happening. After 3 hours of waiting we were getting frustrated that we still didn't have a room - it was aftern 4:00 p.m. We had been at this hotel the previous year and we saw at the front desk the same person who had helped us the previous year. His name is Chris and we decided to speak with him. He was just wonderful. He was attentive and listened to our concerns and really worked very hard to come up with a solution. I think he is a great asset to the hotel. He was decisive and came up with a solution very quickly and within 15 minutes we were in our room. After that our stay was wonderful. We had rooms with beauitful views and we really enjoyed our stay. Thank you Chris for taking such good care of us. We should have more people like him. Elizabeth Y.

Room Tip: get a room on the higher floor and ask for the city and bay view rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elizabeth Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed at the Bayfront Hilton during a recent Conference was pleased with the facility and the services. Great Breakfast buffet. The views from the hotel on the bayfront were beautiful and restful. Access to the bay walk was a great feature!

Room Tip: Well appointed, clean, spacious and QUIET!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 15, 2013

What an expensive dump...room smelled like a old bar..complained but nothing happened until I found the source...used cigarette butts in a glass of water in a drawer. I nearly puked and totally ruined by breakfast (which included a $12 coffee -- ordered a cup was sent a carafe). Certainly would avoid this one if you can.

Room Tip: The higher you are -- the better the view of the bay.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank patrick d
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback. I am sincerely sorry and very embarrassed of what you found in your guestroom. I am so sorry that you were inconvenienced and that you were frustrated with the lack of attention to your concerns. This type of customer service is not acceptable and I will be sure to relay your feedback to our Director of Housekeeping. Our housekeeping team does do their best to ensure that every guestroom is in pristine condition for every new guest. I want you to know that we do not allow smoking in our guestrooms, and I am very sorry that this was the impression you received during your stay. I do hope that you will give us another chance and return for a stay in the future. Thank you.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I traveled to San Diego last May for a conference, which was held at the San Diego Hilton right on the waterfront. The hotel is airy, clean and modern feeling. It's got fabulous views of the harbor area. I spent two nights there and found it an excellent experience overall.

Room Tip: Ask for a room up high with a bay view ... I think it's worth it even if you have to pay a sligh...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Irvine, California
Reviewed April 13, 2013

The Hilton San Diego Bay Front is located on Harbor and Park right on the bay and just 5 minutes drive from I-5. It has valet parking as well as self parking. There is a parking fee. So be prepared to pay up for every night you stay there. I self parked and took the elevator to the main level. It’s a short walk. The hotel lobby is beautiful and has 4 checkin counters. When I arrived 3 were available for arriving guests, there was no line and it was a fast and friendly checkin. The guy behind the checkin counter was polite and friendly and assisted me with questions I had about the hotel and surrounding areas. He told me there was a Starbucks on the lower level as well as a Frozen Yogurt place down there. I did see it but didn’t get a chance to eat there. They also have a pool and a restaurant on the lower level. Oh yes, there is a little gift shop on the lower level that has some snacks, drinks and other items you may have forgotten to pack for yourself and the kids. Our corner room was on the 9th floor. Quiet hallway with rooms on either side led us to our room. The room was beautiful with an awesome view of the bay, the convention center and Coronado island. See my pictures of the room. The bathroom was sparkling clean and had multiple towels for use. If you’re staying here and planning on visiting the Gaslamp quarter, its just a short 10 minute walk, leave your car at the hotel, because you have to pay for parking at the Gaslamp Quarter. Another short walk from the Hilton Bay Front is the Sea Port Village, its about a 15 minute walk along the bay. Yup you have to pay for parking at the Seaport Village too, so just walk here and save yourself some money on parking. It’s a beautiful walk along the bay.
Overall I would rate the hotel 5 stars for location, wonderful room, service, quality, professionalism and friendliness of the employees. See my pictures.
Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Get a corner room so you have better views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for much for your glowing review. I am ecstatic to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and that you loved our convenient location on the bay with beautiful views as well as within walking distance to all the downtown area has to offer. I am pleased to learn that all the team members that you encountered were very polite and accommodating and that you appreciated the impeccable service that you received throughout your stay. Thank you for sharing your outstanding review as well as your photos with our future guests. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to San Diego!
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Big unpersonal Hilton-hotel that charges you for everything. Close to Gaslamp quarter and lots of restaurants. Rooms are big, but cleaning could be improved, even if it is ok now. Unpleasant smell and lots of empty champagne and alcoholic-bottles in the corridors that were not cleaned away during our 48 hour stay. Breakfast is great but pricey, and there is construction going on so the pool was not in use in January 2013. Neighbourhood could be better, there is a bridge that needs to be crossed to reach downtown, and there are lots of homeless people staying under this bridge. Might not feel very safe if you are travelling alone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed at this location because we were attending an early morning event near Petco Park; to be honest, I was attracted to this place more for the pedestrian bridge that connects the hotel parking structure to the parking lot/transit station next to Petco (since I'm not really a morning person).

Hotel is relatively new, and compared to other Hiltons that we stayed at, rooms were clean and furnishings were up-to-date. If you are particular on room views, then consider paying extra for a view of the bay; otherwise you could wind up with a view of the convention center or the shipping/train yard. I'm not picky about room views (I'm more bothered by noises, both interior and exterior), so my room had the view of what looked like a shipping yard (no worries about that and my room was pretty quiet too).

As for the hotel, its the only building on its block, so it feels a bit isolated from the rest of the city. The hotel could use a little more amenities like more shops or cheap eateries to make more inviting...

in an nutshell: Good newer location if you are attending the Convention Center, Petco Park or parts of the Gaslamp District. Parking is a bit pricey, but not too outrageous compared to other hotels of similar comparison. The hotel is the only building on its block, which makes it both quiet, but at the same time, a bit isolated.

Side note: so, just to let you know...Hilton tend to charge for upgrades and such at their "destination location" hotels (even for their Reward members).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family