“A Good place to stay.”

Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Ranked #76 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very fancy place, clean all aroud. Not much for breakfast on the grounds. Starbucks, that was about it. Helpfull staff and excellent service.Sports bar downstairs was roomy and the food was good. Right on the boardwalk so was easy to connect to tourist things.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tony B
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to San Diego. I am pleased to know that you found the hotel clean, comfortable, and inviting, and that you loved our convenient location on the bay, allowing for quick walking access to a variety of tourist destinations in the downtown area. I am sincerely sorry that you would have preferred more breakfast options on property, but in addition to our Starbucks, Vela Restaurant has a delicious and expansive breakfast buffet, complete with a make-your-own omelet station. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to San Diego.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here for the weekend in Jan 2013. Upon check in we were greeted by a very friendly gentleman, Matthew or Christopher I believe, and the thing that stood out about him was that he had listed Disneyland under his name tag as his hometown. This immediately sparked our interest as we love Disneyland and go there all the time, so we were able to have a very pleasant conversation with him while we checked in. Our room was not quite ready, and so we were told we would get a phone call when it was. We were fine with that since we had dinner plans and just needed to freshen up a bit, but we had friends staying at the hotel also, so we just used their room to wash up and headed out. I got a phone call letting us know when our room was ready and also that we did get a view upgrade to compensate us. The room was great! Updated, clean and very spacious. We did have some problems with the air though and could not get the thermostat to go below 72 degrees. My husband likes the room temperature on the cool side, so after one night of realizing it didn’t work, I called the front desk and they immediately sent someone up to look at it. When maintenance arrived he advised they were working on the entire HVAC system and that our side of the hotel was locked in at 72 degrees. I called back down to the front desk and asked if there was anything they could do as it was not our preferred temperature. I was told if they could find a free standing room fan, that they would send it up if that worked for us and I replied, absolutely! 15 minutes later, we had a fan delivered that worked wonderfully for the rest of our stay there!
The Gas Lamp district is a very short walk across the street and we headed over there for breakfast and dinner a few times while we were there. But what we loved most was the lounge downstairs! We were able to meet some of our family from SD there and had a great time! The drink prices are not much different from what you would pay at your typical bar, but having the convenience of a full service bar with a great crowd and atmosphere right downstairs was just awesome! Nobody had to worry about driving home after having a few! There is a frozen yogurt shop that has very reasonable prices and even has movies and games out for the kids to play! There is a Starbucks on site, but the line was always super super long! My husband went to get coffee one day, but refused to go back because of the wait, but you can also experience this at any other free standing Starbucks as well, so it really wasn’t a big deal. The only 2 things that some might not appreciate are the parking and WiFi. Parking is super expensive. I understand that they provide access for the Convention Center events, but there should be some type of discount or validated rates for hotel guest, as we are also spending money at the bar, restaurants and coffee shops there! You also have to pay for the WiFi and it is expensive, which is kind of a bummer, but it would not be a deal breaker for us and we will definitely be staying here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a view upgrade!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your stellar review! It sounds like you had a fantastic stay and that you were able to experience all the hotel has to offer in addition to the surrounding downtown area. I am pleased to know that you loved your upgraded guestroom with beautiful views as well as our Odysea Lounge. I am happy to hear that you and your family were able to enjoy your time together and appreciated the inviting and comfortable space to do so. I sincerely apologize that the parking rate was more than you would have preferred, but our rates are comparable to other hotels and parking facilities in the downtown area. I will relay your feedback to our team for consideration. Also, for future reference, we do offer complimentary wifi in our common areas such as Vela, Odysea, and Starbucks for your convenience. I am so grateful that you had such a wonderful stay and we look forward to seeing you and your family again soon!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here the night before we departed on our cruise to Hawaii. It is a short cab ride to the terminal, valet staff hail the cab for you. We walked along the waterfront, enjoying the scenery, having a beverage at one of the many restaurants along the way in the afternoon. We had a late meal in the sports bar at the hotel, reasonably priced and good on the taste buds. Our room was located on a high floor facing the port so upon waking up could see our ship. We had breakfast at Starbucks located just outside the hotel. Would definitely stay at the Hilton Bayfront again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing to stay with us before departing on your cruise. I am pleased to know that you loved your comfortable accommodations and that you enjoyed our location on the waterfront, perfect for a stroll along the bay. I am delighted to learn that you loved the food at our numerous on-property dining options and that you will definitely be staying with us again on your next visit to San Diego. I hope you had a wonderful time during your cruise!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Standard rooms are a little on the small side, but airy and light. The bayside rooms do have a spectacular view. We didn't think it was worth the rate we were offered when we checked in - an extra $20/night. (We were moved and upgraded because of a malfunction in our first room.)

Inside the hotel, you'll find a beautifully designed bar with "artisan" drinks at prices you'd expect for anything advertised as "artisan". "Vela", a restaurant with very fancy prices for moderately fancy food, is located on the lower level. Incredibly, the other venues - a sports bar, a Starbuck's, and a frozen yogurt shop, cannot be accessed from inside the hotel. Even though they are located in the same building, you must exit and walk outside for your morning latte or for a meal. The sports bar does have good food and drink but service is somewhat shaky.

The good highlights:
Real hangers with standard hooks; a full-sized working hair dryer instead of that whiny contraption bolted to the wall in many hotel bathrooms; real cream with the coffee set-up in the room; excellent bell staff; great maid service (leave a tip!). Hotel is next to the convention center and walking distance to good restaurants and shopping.

The not-so-good:
The bed was okay, but not wildly comfortable. Want to watch an in-room movie? A recent release will set you back $20.54 with tax. Gift shop prices are unusually high - pack a snack or head over to Ralph's Grocery (103 G Street) for more reasonable fare.
Hilton is STILL charging for Wifi in the room. This chain doesn't nickel-and-dime you to death - it reaches straight for the greenbacks!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Fascine
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is located right on the bay so you can walk/run along the boardwalk along the
bay . There are lots of shops and restaurants along the way too. Gaslamp Quarter is
just two blocks away for dinner. Ballpark is right across the street. The pool is fabulous.
The kids could have just stayed at the pool for days and would have been happy. The
hotel is very clean . We enjoyed this hotel very much.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am pleased to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay and that your little ones loved the pool. I am happy to know that you appreciated our convenient location, within walking distance to a variety of shops and restaurants in the downtown area. I am glad that you truly enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Room was small and not furnished well.(think motel 6 here) Very high price to park your car and the internet was an extra $14.00 Ordered a glass of wine and a beer at the pool, charged to the room and found out that was $29.00 I know this is upscale but really!!! Had an altercation with security as I was taking my 3 year old daughter up and down the escalator. After he told me the escalator was not a toy I told him no problem and he responded with " do we understand each other" I told him I was not deaf. Jeez, If I treated my patrons at my business this way I would not be in business long.

Room Tip: choose another hotel that values their guest.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am sincerely sorry that our parking rate is higher than you would have preferred, but our rates are comparable to other hotels and parking facilities in the downtown area. Also, for future reference, we do offer complimentary wifi in our common areas including Vela, Starbucks, and Odysea, if you would prefer. I am very sorry that you felt our security officer was rude, but I can assure you, that was not his intention. Our team works diligently to ensure that all our guests are safe at all times. I apologize that you were insulted and I will be sure to relay your feedback to our team. Thank you for your review and I do hope you reconsider choosing to stay with us again.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I read the reviews and thought this would be a decent Hotel. We had problems from the first moment we checked in. We arrived at 1400 and could not check in. I was told the room was not ready, after waiting 2 hours I went back and was told again no room ready. I had to complain that it’s 1600 and we need a room, finally 1615 we got a room. Nice view of the bay but that was the best thing about it. The first night , my wife found a pretty large blood stain on the mattress. 0800 the next morning I complained and was told it would be taken care of. We went out for the day and got back at 1500 and they didn’t do anything about it. 3 more calls later, I finally got somebody to change it out. All in all for what I paid (250 a night) I wouldn’t stay again. I was very disappointed and expected more from the Hilton. Nobody seemed to care and I felt it was a hassle to receive basic service and a clean room.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you for sharing your review of your experience at our hotel. We sincerely apologize you and your wife did not have a pleasant stay. It is always our goal to provide the best and most timely service to all guests and we regret we did not accomplish this with you. The issue of mattress cleanliness and the speed with which this issue was addressed has been discussed with our housekeeping team and we will be improving this area. Thank you again for your review.