“Good customer service”

Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Ranked #77 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is a nice hotel in a good location for exploring downtown San Diego. It is not in the middle of the Gaslamp District - which makes it quieter - but there is a bridge across Harbor Drive and it is an easy walk. When we arrived the line for check-in was long, but it moved pretty quickly. Our room was standard for a Hilton. My only complaint was the lack of a refridgerator.

I am a firm believer that you find out how good a hotel's customer service is when something goes wrong. I had booked a special rate through Travelzoo that was supposed to include parking, but when I checked in the computer did not reflect that. I had a large group and dinner reservations so could not deal with it then. I emailed customer service the afternoon I got home and had a response before 10:00 the next morning apologizing and advising that my credit card had been credited. Anyone can have something go wrong. Kudos to Hilton for handling it quickly and graciously.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (5,151)

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I'm surprised by the positive reviews this hotel got on customer service. I just returned from a trip booked through a promotion from Travelzoo, using a link to the Hilton website. Parking and internet were both included with the rate. I even paid extra to upgrade my room. To make a long story short, internet didn't work and I practically had to beg for it because front desk refused to look at the HILTON site that I clicked through to book the hotel. I was also put on hold for 15 minutes on the phone without even a word before walking back to front desk to address this issue! Watch out, folks, they will brush you off because you didn't pay $300+ a night there!

Aside from the nice exterior and the fitness facility I will NOT stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback. I am pleased to know that you were impressed with our hotel aesthetic as well as our expansive fitness center. I am sincerely sorry that there were some issues with your internet connection during you stay and that you had to wait on hold for assistance. We never want any of our guests to feel frustrated or annoyed during their time with us, and we try to ensure that all our guest’s needs are met. I want you to know that just because a room is booked on a special promotion deal, does not mean that we treat any guest better than another. All our guests are important to us and all our team members do their best to make sure that every guest is happy. I am sorry that you did not have a more memorable visit.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

There is no mistake this is a purely business/convention trade geared hotel. With its cavernous exhibit hall like lobby it is not cozy or intimate. Spent the weekend with friends, the rooms were fairly spacious and the luxury of two queen beds. The pool outdoor area is under renovation so could not use. There is a Starbucks and yogurt shop on the ground floor. Easy parking with in and out privileges just use your room key, $28 a day. It's next door to convention center but there is nothing immediately next to the hotel. A good 15 minute walk to Seaport Village along the waterfront, a 15 minute walk to Gaslamp quarter along a desolate and lonely path next to trolley line. Overall if your trip is for business at convention center it's a great location, if you want to be in the heart of entertainment and things to do keep in mind the hotel is some distance away and will require walking.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 10, 2013

The Hiltn Bayfront San Diego was very clean, security was excellent, the rooms were spacious and clean. The staff greated me professionally. The rooms were not cleaned until well after lunch, but there was a large convention going on, so I understand they may be somewhat behind. I thorough enjoyed staying at this property. Great view of Petro Stadium, downtown San Diego, Coronado and the Ocean.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a particular view, and they will work to get you into it. I checked in early (no...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the property clean and inviting. I am ecstatic to hear that all the staff you encountered was extremely professional and courteous during your visit and that you loved the beautiful views. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront for a conference. I was greeted and treated like family by every staff member I came in contact with, they always had a smile on. The bed in the room was the most comfortable I've ever slept on, so much so that I have contacted them and am now purchasing my own.
The views are stunning! The Bay, the Historic Downtown area and the Convention Center are within yards of the hotel.
There's a Starbucks (which unfortunatly closes at 6PM) and a frozen yogurt place on the lower level that were also a nice touch. The Hotel Restaurant, Vela, I believe was very good and again our waitress was wonderful.
The only down side I experienced was they seemed understaffed at the Front Desk, my check-in took a while as well as when I just needed to get my room key reprogramed. The Pool area and outdoor patios were under construction, but I did not hear any noise and it was too chilly to swim anyway.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hilton for a conference. What a wonderful experience! The staff was attentive and friendly...from check-in to check-out. The food was great, the rooms clean and talk about an awesome view. What a beautiful property. I will certainly stay there again and recommend to my friends and family. Thank you for making a business trip a pleasure.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Traveling for business and truly enjoyed this hotel. I look forward to the day the pool will be open so we can return for leisure. We stayed on the bayfront view side of the hotel and the views were breath-taking.
The perfect combination of business and pleasure. Able to walk to Petco Park, Gaslamp Quarter, Midway, and the Conference Center.

1  Thank JAT24-7

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you feel our property works for both business and leisure guests that you appreciated our convenient location on the bay and within walking distance to Petco Park, downtown, and the SD Convention Center. You will be happy to know that our pool, Jacuzzi, and kids pool is now open, and The Pool Club-A Siren’s Call is opening April 1st. We look forward to having you back to try out our new backyard. See you soon!