“Great hotel in a good location”

Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Ranked #76 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

We stayed only one night here before going on a cruise. the hotel has a very high standard across the board. Comfortable rooms with great views of the bay front if your room faces this side, cannot fault this hotel at all.

• Stayed: November 2012
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your one night in town before your cruise. I am pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay and the hotel. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our future guests and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Hilton San Diego Bayfront

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Had a restful stay at the Hilton Bayfront, which was made possible by the wonderful guest staff. Joshua checked me in and he was professional, accommodating, and just an all around delightful personality. He made sure that I got the perks that my Hilton Loyalty level afforded me. The gentlemen at the guest services desk were equally friendly, retrieving and storing my bags effortlessly to help me manage for a red eye flight. Housekeeping was kind enough to round up a lint brush for me - perhaps they should furnish the rooms with these as this is a business oriented hotel. Also missing from the room, sewing kit, cotton swabs, makeup mirror. My bedside lamp was not operational when I checked in, but the hotel resolved the issue quickly.

The lobby area is one of the best that I've enjoyed in any hotel - lot's of loungers and comfy chairs, quite spots, and outlets to work, play, or relax. There is a Starbucks on the bottom level that stayed pretty busy. The hotel location is excellent and in walking distance to the gaslamp district. It's water location is perfect for runs or strolls along the edge.

My room, although having a great view, was fairly basic, but at the rate, who can complain.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am pleased to know how much you enjoyed your stay and that our staff made it especially memorable for you. I am ecstatic to learn that throughout your stay, all of the staff were friendly and accommodating and made you feel at home. I will be sure to give Joshua special recognition for his outstanding customer service. I am pleased to know that you were impressed with the aesthetic of the property and that you truly enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Booked this hotel last minute through Hilton, and was very happy with the pricing and availability. Was upgraded to a slightly bigger room upon arrival (Hilton Gold), given coupons for free apps/non-alcoholic beverages at the bar, and breakfast at Starbucks (or $10 upgrade to buffet at Vela's, which we used). Internet was strong, and free thanks to status. View was AMAZING in the morning (17th floor corner room), and the room was pretty spacious as well. Loved the all stone shower, and toiletries weren't anything to laugh at either (Peter Thomas Roth). Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The first six floors of the hotel are conference rooms/etc, so you'll have a decent view from ju...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your amazing 5 star review. I am so glad that we were able to accommodate your last minute travel plans at a price that you were impressed with. I am also happy to know that you loved the property and that you appreciated all the perks we offer our HHonors members. Thank you for your loyalty as a HHonors member, we truly appreciate your business. I am delighted to hear how much you loved your beautiful view of the bay and downtown directly from your guestroom. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

I'm in town for a convention, but wanted to spend an extra day relaxing. This hotel was perfect! I really enjoyed three treatments at the spa-massage, facial, and pedicure. The fitness facility is too notch-great equipment and wonderful view. The eucalyptus steam room was also nice. I wish I'd brought my swim suit bc the pool and spa looked very inviting.

The service was wonderful. I arrived very early, but was immediately given a great room. Everyone I've encountered has been friendly. There is a Starbucks and yogurt shop on the lower level of the hotel. My friends and I enjoyed watching the SEC championship at the fox grille.

I ordered room service a few times and the food arrived very quickly and was delicious.

I love the location of this hotel. It's close enough to the gas lamp district, yet far enough away to enjoy quiet nights on the water.

I will definitely return when in the San Diego area again!

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and that you loved our Spa Aquazul. I am pleased to know that you were able to relax during your stay and that you were thoroughly impressed with all the amenities we offer our guests. I am happy to know that you found the service to be impeccable and that you loved our waterfront location. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

It has only been a week since our trip to San Diego over the Thanksgiving holiday and a promise I made myself was to be sure to do a review on Trip Advisor. I am not often that ambitious about doing so but this is a hotel worth trying if you are heading to San Diego. The setting is gorgeous along the San Diego Bay - upgrade to a higher floor and ask to be on the Bayfront. Our view was stunning as we overlooked the Bay, the bridge to Coronado, and the Embarcadero. The hotel staff was absolutely incredible. Who expects that your wait servers would be as sweet and caring as Carmelita who served us in the Vela restaurant twice. Such a wonderful, kind lady who actually took time to make us feel at home. Our bell men and concierge services were equally impressive - always taking time to reach out, assure we had directions, assistance and a few laughs, too. Whoever is managing this hotel has found the right formula... kudos to them for making sure that you have outgoing, friendly employees. Even the FedX shipping clerk was kind and helpful. The hotel food at Vela was delicious... specialty pastries, wonderful breakfast buffet with an omelette chef who cares about his customers and was also engaging and a great chef. We enjoyed sitting outside by the firepit area which is an added bonus on cool evenings when you just want to prolong the wonderful San Diego weather (70 degrees). I can't say enough about this hotel and would recommend it in a heart beat. Go there, walk up to Seaport Village, eat at the wonderful restaurants, tour the USS Midway, take advantage of a Segway tour (we did and that was terrific as well -Another Side of San Diego, go to the Safari Park, La Jolla - especially the hiking at Torrey Pines State Reserve, visit the Zoo, take a harbor cruise) - it will be the best vacation ever.

Room Tip: We booked our room (4 days) well in advance and our rate was amazing but you do have to pay for an u...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words and wonderful review. I am ecstatic to hear how much you loved the property and that your Thanksgiving vacation was delightful and memorable. I am pleased to know that you loved your accommodations as well as the stunning views of the bay and Coronado Island. I am overjoyed to learn how impressed you were with the personal and efficient service you received throughout your stay. It is very important to all of us here at the Bayfront to ensure that all our guests are happy and well taken care of while visiting. I will be sure to individually recognize all those employees who helped make your stay so enjoyable and unforgettable. I am delighted to know that you loved the delicious food and all the amenities we offer our guests as well as our convenient location on the bay and within walking distance to many San Diego hotspots. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to San Diego.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

I found it very hard to rate the hotel. I went everywhere from a 1 to 5 on it.

The hotel is very modern. The rooms were immaculate with some great views of the bay. The facilities were very modern. The fitness room and pool were fantastic so certainly on the face of it a great hotel.

My biggest problem was down to my timing.I was there for 5 nights. The nights excluding the weekend were fantastic. However over the weekend there was some form of teen conference which resulted in them taking over the hotel. There were literally hundred of teenagers in and around the hotel. It is all very well having great facilities but not much good if you can't access them because of the crowd. To give an example it took 10 minutes one evening to get from the lobby to our hotel room because of the wait for the lift. Extremely annoying especially after paying so much money for a trouble free stay. Aside from all those issues the parking was very expensive at 36 dollars for valet. Also complementary wifi only existed in the lobby. Charges applied in your room which I thought was cheeky.

In summary I can certainly why there are such good reviews but I don't think I would risk it again. And if you are going to book be sure you know what is going on in the hotel before you do so.

1  Thank euexplorer

Thank you for your recent review and for sharing your feedback with our future guests. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed the modern aesthetic of the property and that you found your accommodations clean and inviting. I am also happy to hear that you were impressed with the stunning views of the bay and Coronado Island as well as all the amenities we offer our guests. I am sincerely sorry that your stay was somewhat frustrating at times due to some of our other guests in house. I apologize that you were inconvenienced at times due the capacity of the hotel during your stay, but we are a very large hotel, accommodating up to 1190 guestrooms and any given time. I am also very sorry that the parking was more than you would have liked, but we do have self-parking available in our conveniently located parking garage for only $27/day. For future reference, we do have free wifi in Starbucks, Vela, Odysea, and Fox Sports Grill for your convenience. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I do hope you come back and visit us again on your next trip to San Diego.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Wow we have a new favorite hotel in San Diego! We got the Corner Bay View Room and well worth the price! Views in all directions! Of course, it helped that the weather was fabulous! The staff couldn't have been more friendly. We asked for an extra desk chair since we both needed to "compute" while there and it was there within 20 minutes. Any questions we had were answered with an "of course" we can help. The restaurants we used were mainly the Fox Sports Grill and the Starbucks. Plenty of places to sit and look at the views whether it was on the terraces above the pool area or the pool. Easy access to the Trolley system so that all of San Diego was accessible. A walk along the waterfront put you in Seaport Village in a timely manner. Being at the Bayfront and right across from the Gaslamp District will allow fun to be had....the Coronado Ferry is also close by. Being an Hilton Honors member gave us some specials that helped with food purchases. Thanks for a great experience while we were there over the Thanksgiving holiday!

Room Tip: Get the Bay View Corner Room if possible! Worth some price difference if need be.
1  Thank cruisingrightalong

Thank you for your wonderful 5 star review and for your loyalty as a HHonors member. I am happy to hear that you had a memorable experience during your holiday vacation and that you were pleased with your stay. I am thrilled to learn that you loved your accommodations, especially the stunning 180* views of the bay, Coronado Island, and downtown directly from your guestroom. I am delighted to hear how friendly and courteous all the staff was during your stay and that they pleasantly met all your needs. I am happy to know that you loved the convenient location of the property situated on the bay and within walking distance of Seaport Village, the convention center, and the Gaslamp Quarter with a variety of shops, restaurants, and nightlife. Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your trip to San Diego and for choosing us as your favorite hotel in San Diego. We look forward to seeing you again soon.