“Beautiful”

Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Ranked #76 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Very clean. Nice staff. Great location. Awesome pool. Only downer is the price of the room and price of parking. Parking was $27 a night! Other than that I loved it. Walking distance to the gas lamp district.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thank you for your recent review and for choosing to stay with us. I am ecstatic to learn how much you loved your stay and that you found the hotel clean and inviting. I am delighted to know that all of the staff was extremely friendly and accommodating throughout your visit and that you loved our bay side pool. I apologize that the parking fees were higher than you would have liked but our covered parking garage offers our guests safety and convenience at a price comparable to other hotels and parking facilities in the downtown area. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Hilton San Diego Bayfront

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton Bayfront in San Diego for a recent convention. The hotel has a beautiful look and great location, but the restaurant situation was sub-standard. The Vela on the lower "promenade" level would close unannounced, had a limited menu and was very expensive.
The Odysea on the lobby level had terrible service and seemed to be more of a bar than a restaurant. The Sports Bar was ok, but not located inside of the hotel, so guests have to walk around the side of the property to gain access. There are plenty of restaurants in the Gaslamp district, but it can be a very far walk. The streets along the way are filled with homeless people, making it a rather unpleasant walk. Better to stick with a taxi. Not a good hotel for someone traveling alone.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Gail B

Thank you for your candid feedback and for choosing to stay with us. I am pleased to know that you loved the hotel and that you appreciated the convenient location of the hotel situated on the bay and within walking distance of the convention center, Petco Park, and the downtown Gaslamp Quarter with a variety of shops and restaurants. I am sincerely sorry to hear that you were displeased with our dining options on property. I am so embarrassed that you received poor service while dining as that is completely unacceptable. We strive to ensure that all of our guests receive the friendliest and most efficient service while on property. I will be sure to relay all your feedback to our Director of Food & Beverage so that these issues can be addressed with the staff. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I hope you return for a visit again soon.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Really an excellent hotel spoiled by less than 5-star rooms. Great staff, great views, great facilities but the rooms left a lot to be desired. Only basic in-room amenity packs, broken coffee pot, noise from corridors, neighboring rooms and outside, Internet problems, uncomfortable beds. Requested early check-in and was prepared to pay as I was flying in from Japan. Was left to wait in the foyer until after 3pm when I finally pleaded my case again.
However, staff were very attentive and courteous. Overall a pleasant experience but definitely overpriced.

Room Tip: Higher floors available for surcharge. Much better view on the north side.
1  Thank Icarus3619

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am pleased to know that you loved the hotel and that you were impressed with the hotel’s aesthetic. I am pleased to know that you were thoroughly awed with the beautiful views of the bay and downtown. I am delighted to know that you found all the staff very attentive and accommodating during your visit and that you appreciated all the amenities we offer our guests. I sincerely apologize that your guestroom was not what you were expecting and that you would have preferred different accommodations. In the future, please let us know and we will do everything we can to address your concerns and make your stay as comfortable as possible. I am sorry that you had to wait longer than you would have liked to check-in to your room, but we do our best to ensure that all our guest’s rooms are ready upon arrival. Thank you for your feedback and I hope you come back for a visit again soon.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

That is about as far as it goes.
The good points:
This is a newer property, I think someone said 4 years old. It is stunning from the moment you arrive. The 11th tallest building in San Diego and located right on the waterfront. Easy walking access to everything. The rooms are typical Hilton. We stayed in a "Pure" room and I am still not sure why they charge extra for it. The pool is big.
The bad points:
No executive level and no executive lever lounge (important for us Hhonors Diamonds)
The staff is very inattentive and presents an air of "we really don't care about our guests". We had made two separate reservations for the two nights we were there. The person checking us in said he had checked us in for both nights upon our initial arrival. He neglected to tell us that we needed to go back down to the front desk the next day and get our keys activated for the second night. Hence, come 3:00 pm the next day, as we stood outside our room upon our return from a long day of sightseeing, and my son needed to use the bathroom, our key did not work. To make matters worse, it took them 20 minutes to send up security to let us in, (sans new keys), then another 40 minutes to get new keys.
There are conventioneers EVERYWHERE at this hotel! The drinks are way overpriced. I think we paid $13 for one glass of white wine. The entertainment system in the hotel works when it wants to. My kids and I were halfway through a movie one night when it just quit working.
I am not sure I would stay here again. I do like the location. I think knowing what I know now about this particular property, I would see what there convention attendance is and if it was low, I would just lower my expectations and stay again.
If you are a Hilton Hhonors Member, don't expect much here. You are just another guest among hundreds.

Room Tip: The higher the better. We had room 2429...great view of the waterfront and downtown. Do not let them...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PDX_1st

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the hotel and loved the beautiful views of the bay and downtown. For your reference, our PURE guestrooms are treated with the latest technologies available to enhance your guest experience. In-room filtration systems remove air particles, while surfaces are treated to minimize the growth of bacteria. These hypoallergenic hotel accommodations are nearly 99.9% allergen-free and significantly reduce the impact of potential irritants to you which allows you to rest comfortably, sleep better and awake refreshed so you can enjoy your stay. I sincerely apologize that you felt that the staff were inattentive as this is never our intention. We want all of our guests to feel comfortable and welcome throughout their stay. I apologize for any inconveniences you encountered during your stay and that there was a lack of communication regarding your room key. I am sorry that you would have preferred less convention attendees but since we are directly adjacent to the San Diego Convention Center, we are a perfect hotel to accommodate convention goers. I am sorry that you did not feel special during your stay as that is never our intention. We appreciate your business and your loyalty as a HHonors member. Thank you for providing your feedback and I hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed here on business for a convention. The hotel is very nice, chic, the bar/restaurant is awesome, and breakfast is really cool with a chef cooking omelettes for guests on the fly while you wait.

The room was very spacious and while some views from the hotel are not the best, I had the shipyard of the Dole tractor trailers being loaded onto their giant ship, other views of the bay are nice.

The pool is quite nice, but really just a large lap and wading pool.

All of the catered food by the hotel were absolutely fantastic, and the staff are young and hip.

I took a taxi a couple of locations, but the Gaslamp District is within walking distance so again, a great location.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Bay without the Dole ship in view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your wonderful review and for choosing to stay with us during your visit to San Diego. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and that you loved the convenient location of the property within walking distance of the downtown Gaslamp Quarter with a variety of shops and restaurants. I am delighted to learn that you loved the delicious breakfast buffet offered at our Vela Restaurant and that you were impressed with your spacious and comfortable guestroom. I am glad that you found all the staff very pleasant and accommodating during your stay and that you loved your visit. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Spent 5 nights at this hotel for a conference and although the location is attractive, we had a rather ugly view over a parking lot which I guess we could have avoided paying an extra. However, the discounted rate for our group was already way too high for the service provided. In a hotel charging at least 259 dollars per night, everything should be spotless clean and it was not the case with us. In fact, we had to call guest services and ask for a second round of cleaning as the bathroom floor still had bits of grass that had come off our shoes the night before. This level of service would be unacceptable in any hotel, let alone one that is so pricey. The aircon fan died on us on the second day, but we never got around to telling the hotel, so it was not their fault that it was not fixed. Being on the waterfront can be pleasant especially for people who like a power walk or run by the sea, but otherwise it is not very convenient for restaurants or shopping as the nearest area for that is the Gaslamp quarter, about a 15-20 minutes wall away.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent review and for sharing your candid feedback. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed our location situated on the bay with beautiful views of Coronado Island and downtown. Some of our guestroom views do look out over our neighboring Dole Cargo ship area, but for future reference, if you would prefer to change rooms, please ask our front desk staff and they will do what they can to accommodate you. I sincerely apologize that your room was not cleaned as well as you would have liked and that you had to call guest services to get a second round of cleaning. It is never our intention to inconvenience or frustrate any of our guests during their stay. I will be sure to relay your feedback to our Director of Housekeeping so that your issues can be addressed with the staff. I am sorry that you felt there was not enough dining options, but we do offer three choices on property including Fox Sports Grill, Vela Restaurant, and Odysea Lounge. If you would prefer something different, there are many other dining options directly over the pedestrian sky bridge just a few minute walk from the hotel. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

An excellent Hilton with a beautiful view of the water. Great service, super clean, right near the entrance to the Gas lamp District where you can find any kind of restaurants and bars to sit and people watch downtown. The room rates and valet parking were too high though and really should be adjusted down some. No mini bar or refrigerator in the room which would have been nice to have. Overall, a great place to stay - especially as we did - for a weekend get-away.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear that your weekend getaway was so enjoyable and that you loved your stay. I am pleased to know that you loved the beautiful views of the bay and downtown directly from your guestroom and that you appreciated the convenient location of the hotel within walking distance to the downtown Gaslamp Quarter with a variety of shops and restaurants. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you had a perfect weekend get-away. We look forward to seeing you again soon.