“this has to be one of the best Hiltons” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton San Diego Bayfront

Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Ranked #68 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
washington dc
“this has to be one of the best Hiltons”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

I stayed here for five nights for a convention in July '12. I wasn't sure what to expect -- some of my experiences with Hiltons have been kind of mixed -- but the Hilton Bayside turned out to be a really excellent place. I highly recommend it. Guest rooms and bathrooms are nicely furnished and in impeccable shape -- modern but comfortable, with big windows. And no scuffs on the walls or furniture, or stains on the bathroom grout -- the place really looks like new. Rooms are very well soundproofed; there are no weird sounds from the building systems; and the A/C is effective and quiet.

The common spaces are good. The lobby is spacious, airy and busy; the lobby bar has great views of the harbor. There's a Starbucks with lots of outdoor seating on the hotel's ground level, and a yogurt shop, and a decent restaurant, and a sports bar. The hotel has a lot of elevators -- two banks of six or eight apiece -- so you're never waiting long for one. Service staff -- reception desk, restaurant, cleaning staff -- was friendly and professional throughout. I didn't have chance to use the (bayfront) pool or gym, but both seemed to attract a good crowd.

The location is unique and kind of great. The Hilton is the only hotel on the far end of San Diego's huge convention center, along the bayfront, so every room has a clear, open view, even on the low floors. When I first pulled up, I thought the hotel seemed a little isolated, but it's actually a great location. It's right along the bayfront park, just out the hotel's front door -- a beautiful waterfront walk at any time of day, past the marina and up to Seaport Village. And the Hilton is just across (wide) Harbor Drive from Petco Park stadium and the Gaslamp Quarter and its dozens of restaurants and bars. But unlike the other hotels that are literally right in the middle of the Gaslamp Quater, if you're staying at the Hilton you can walk back across the street to your hotel and quickly get away from all the noise and crowds and traffic. The Hilton has a huge hotel garage, with in-and-out self-parking for $27 a day, which seems reasonable for SD and is pretty much a worthwhile investment since you'll want a car to get around the city, irrespective of where you stay.

Rooms looking out the front ("bay/city view") seem to cost about $30 p/n more than comparable rooms looking out back ("bridge view"). All the rooms have bright open views, and the cheaper bridge view is actually kind of interesting -- you can see part of the bay, and the bridge to Coronado, and the mountains off in the distance, and the train tracks for the light rail in the foreground. I was perfectly happy with the back view, but if seeing palms and yachts is a must for you, then splurge on the bay view rooms.

So, this is a city Hilton, which means it's big (30 storeys with about 50 rooms per floor), and pretty busy, and you see a mix of business travellers and romantic getaways and family vacationers all passing through the lobby. There's no minibar in the room, and the linens probably aren't thousand-thread-count, and the only store in the hotel is a sundries shop, not a Gucci boutique. But for what it is -- a big, lively upper-end hotel in a great location on the water, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg -- this is about as good as it gets.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank travelguydc
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you so much for your recent review and for naming us “One of the Best Hiltons”..what an honor. I am ecstatic to learn how much you loved the property and that you appreciated the spacious and modern guestrooms with amazing views of the bay and downtown. I am happy to learn that you loved the location of the property close to all the best shopping, restaurants, and nightlife that San Diego has to offer. Thank you for sharing all your wonderful feedback for our future guests and for letting us know how much you appreciated our staff and the hotel. I hope you come visit us on your next trip to San Diego.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

We are HHonors members so we received a corner room. The view was amazing from the 21st floor . We watches many boats go by and woke to a view of Coronado Island each morning. Room was very comfortable and spacious

The check in was easy and pleasant, bell person was friendly and the transition went quickly.

All I can complain about was the staff in the bar. They are not friendly but not really rude either. Just there to do their job.

The starbuck on site and the breakfast tickets we received for starbucks is a welcome plus. They have many good choices for breakfast, lunch or a snack. I was pleasantly surprised to find greek yogurt.

Room service: Hamburgers were good as well as the Mediterranean Bento box. The heirloom tomato salad was sad . We ordered the sobet for dessert which was dumb as they started melting before we could get to them. They tasted good though

Room Tip: corner rooms have wonderful views
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank smoothcj
Thank you for your recent review and also for your loyalty as a Hilton Honors member. I am pleased to know how much you enjoyed your stay and that you loved your upgraded corner room. I am happy to hear how much you loved the beautiful views from your guestroom and that you appreciated the friendly staff around property. Thank you for sharing your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.
Hartford, New York, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Had the opportunity to attend a convention in San Diego and stayed at the Hilton Bayside. The hotel was excellent as was the staff. But the location of the hotel was absolutely outstanding. Right across the street from the ballpark (which is a great place to see a game). On the other corner from the hotel is the conference center. Just a short walk from the hotel - the historic old city. In addition the hotel is just a few hundred feet from the bay ferry to Catalina Island.

Pool facilities were very good ( pool not very deep).

Could not have asked for a better stay.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the bay gives a great view if the bay and the island.
1 Thank Thomas A
Thank you so much for your recent review and for sharing your amazing feedback with our future guests. I agree with you, “Location is Everything” and that is why our property is so fantastic. Not only is the hotel situated right on the bay boasting unobstructed views, but it is in walking distance from the convention center, Petco Park, and downtown San Diego. I am so happy to know how much you appreciated our location. Thank you for your comments and I hope you come visit us again soon!
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had a wonderful family experience at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront. Not only is it in a serene spot right on the bay - the pool has a beautiful view of the bay but it's calm, tranquil and overall quietness at the hotel added to our great experience. The rooms are very clean and appointed nicely with everything you could need. We had a lovely view towards the convention center / bay view. You are within a quick drive to the Zoo and within walking distance to the gaslamp district with great restaurants and shopping. I will say that the daily self-park rate seems excessive but I suppose given it's proximity to the convention center that makes sense. The breakfast buffet is spectacular! The Fox Sports Grill has good food at a reasonable price and it's location close to the hotel is nice. Overall, I would say this was a very nice 3day stay in San Diego. As a side note, the pool area is very nice - it's heated as well for those later in the evening dips... Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mama2001
Thank you so much for your recent 5 star review. I am pleased to know that you and your family loved your stay and that you specifically loved our outdoor heated pool that overlooks the bay. I am happy to hear that you appreciated the convenient location of the property close to all the best San Diego has to offer and that you liked all the amenities we offer our guests. I am pleased you had a great 3-day getaway and I hope you come see us again on your next trip to San Diego.
Santa Ynez, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

2 night stay that was a "dream"! Exceptional guest service from valet, front desk, concierge, Vela Restaurant! Went to the Padres game at Petco Park and loved the convenience of walking over the bridge in a matter of minutes to our seats! Gaslamp District only a few steps away! Beautiful view from our upgraded room (no charge!) overlooking the gorgeous waterfront and Coronado Island. We took a 10 minutes taxi ride to "Old Italy" where they had the Farmer's Market and live music all around. We decided to walk back to the hotel (approx. 3 miles) and walk along the water to enjoy the perfect weather and sites which included the Midway Museum and Seaport Village. Had a great lunch at the "Fish Market" overlooking the San Diego Bay.
We will be visiting again in the next month and plan on staying at the Hilton again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank River Grill M
Thank you so much for your amazing feedback and review. I am so happy to know how much you loved your stay and that you felt as if you were treated like royalty. We all strive to ensure that all of our guests are treated exceptionally well at all times and that they always feel welcome during their visit. I am pleased to know that you loved the convenient location of the property close to Petco Park, especially for attending baseball games, downtown San Diego, and Little Italy. I am excited to hear that you will be back in San Diego again soon and that you will be staying with us…what an honor. We are ecstatic to see you again soon!
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

I recently stayed here three days for a business trip and overall was very pleased. The location was great, walking distance to the Gaslamp District, Petco Stadium and a quick drive to Coronado Island. The hotel istself was clean and modern ond had a decent view of the bay. There is a Starbucks, Fox Sports Grill and a bar and spa in the hotel. You have to pay for the internet which is silly, but I allowed the doorman to bring my luggage to my room and he gave me the internet code.

1 Thank Chynna77
Thank you so much for your recent review. I am pleased to learn how much you loved the hotel and all of the wonderful amenities we offer our guests. I am happy to know that you appreciated our convenient location next to the Gaslamp Quarter, Petco Park and all of the best San Diego has to offer. I am glad you enjoyed the beautiful views of the bay and that you were impressed with how clean and modern the hotel is. Thank you for your feedback and I hope you come see us again on your next trip to San Diego.
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

I stayed there for a convention. It was a ten minute walk for my short legs to the convention center, but I'm sure others get there in less time. One warning: the convention center is about .5 mile long and the end closest to the hotel was not being used, plus all of the conference rooms are on the opposite end. I actually think you'd walk less if you stayed across the street on the Gaslamp quarter side at the Gaslamp Hilton. However, then you'd miss the beautiful view of the bay!

The hotel was wonderful. The room was clean and extremely quiet. I never heard any noise other than the occasional click of a door closing. The bed and pillows were excellent, and there was a handy reading light on the headboard. The bath amenities were high quality and the towels were excellent. There was a handy rack in the bath that was very conveniently placed. This was a nice touch compared to most hotels.

I had a lovely view of the bridge, plus an interesting view of how much work goes into having Dole pineapple for sale in the continental US! (The hotel is located next to a working port, and Dole is berthed there.) Small children who are train fans would enjoy seeing the trolley and light rail depot as well. The hotel has 30 floors and I never had to wait long for an elevator due to their incredible system. There are two sets of 6 elevators. One set goes to certain floors and the other set does the rest.

I arrived at 10 a.m. (early flight), and was able to check in and leave my luggage in their storage area. They called my cell phone when my room was ready and it was simple to retrieve my luggage. I used the storage again at checkout (late flight) and once again it was very organized.

The hotel has a large parking garage and it is attached to a walkway that leads to Petco Park and the Gaslamp Quarter. The walkway has a great view of the bay and Coronado Bridge. There are tons of restaurants in the Gaslamp Quarter, so I never ate at the hotel.

This was my first time to travel alone and I never felt nervous in any way even though my room was a long walk from the elevator.

The pool area is incredible. The heated, salt water pool is right next to the bay, there is large screen TV at the far end with seating, and there were 6 cabanas with double chaises that each had their own TVs. I heard another guest say that during the week they rent the cabanas, but I didn't check for myself. The poolside snack bar had great drinks. The hot tub was great, too.

Room Tip: Specify if you don't want to overlook the Dole facility or train depot.
1 Thank lovesf48
Thank you so much for your recent review. I am so excited to hear how much you enjoyed the hotel and that you loved our location on the bay and close to all the best San Diego has to offer. I am happy to hear that you appreciated the beautiful views of the bay and downtown and that you were very pleased with your visit. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our future guests. I hope you come visit us again on your next trip to San Diego.