“Great Experience!”

Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Ranked #76 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had a wonderful family experience at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront. Not only is it in a serene spot right on the bay - the pool has a beautiful view of the bay but it's calm, tranquil and overall quietness at the hotel added to our great experience. The rooms are very clean and appointed nicely with everything you could need. We had a lovely view towards the convention center / bay view. You are within a quick drive to the Zoo and within walking distance to the gaslamp district with great restaurants and shopping. I will say that the daily self-park rate seems excessive but I suppose given it's proximity to the convention center that makes sense. The breakfast buffet is spectacular! The Fox Sports Grill has good food at a reasonable price and it's location close to the hotel is nice. Overall, I would say this was a very nice 3day stay in San Diego. As a side note, the pool area is very nice - it's heated as well for those later in the evening dips... Enjoy!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mama2001
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Thank you so much for your recent 5 star review. I am pleased to know that you and your family loved your stay and that you specifically loved our outdoor heated pool that overlooks the bay. I am happy to hear that you appreciated the convenient location of the property close to all the best San Diego has to offer and that you liked all the amenities we offer our guests. I am pleased you had a great 3-day getaway and I hope you come see us again on your next trip to San Diego.

There are newer reviews for Hilton San Diego Bayfront

Reviewed July 9, 2012

2 night stay that was a "dream"! Exceptional guest service from valet, front desk, concierge, Vela Restaurant! Went to the Padres game at Petco Park and loved the convenience of walking over the bridge in a matter of minutes to our seats! Gaslamp District only a few steps away! Beautiful view from our upgraded room (no charge!) overlooking the gorgeous waterfront and Coronado Island. We took a 10 minutes taxi ride to "Old Italy" where they had the Farmer's Market and live music all around. We decided to walk back to the hotel (approx. 3 miles) and walk along the water to enjoy the perfect weather and sites which included the Midway Museum and Seaport Village. Had a great lunch at the "Fish Market" overlooking the San Diego Bay.
We will be visiting again in the next month and plan on staying at the Hilton again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank River Grill M

Thank you so much for your amazing feedback and review. I am so happy to know how much you loved your stay and that you felt as if you were treated like royalty. We all strive to ensure that all of our guests are treated exceptionally well at all times and that they always feel welcome during their visit. I am pleased to know that you loved the convenient location of the property close to Petco Park, especially for attending baseball games, downtown San Diego, and Little Italy. I am excited to hear that you will be back in San Diego again soon and that you will be staying with us…what an honor. We are ecstatic to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 7, 2012

I recently stayed here three days for a business trip and overall was very pleased. The location was great, walking distance to the Gaslamp District, Petco Stadium and a quick drive to Coronado Island. The hotel istself was clean and modern ond had a decent view of the bay. There is a Starbucks, Fox Sports Grill and a bar and spa in the hotel. You have to pay for the internet which is silly, but I allowed the doorman to bring my luggage to my room and he gave me the internet code.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Chynna77

Thank you so much for your recent review. I am pleased to learn how much you loved the hotel and all of the wonderful amenities we offer our guests. I am happy to know that you appreciated our convenient location next to the Gaslamp Quarter, Petco Park and all of the best San Diego has to offer. I am glad you enjoyed the beautiful views of the bay and that you were impressed with how clean and modern the hotel is. Thank you for your feedback and I hope you come see us again on your next trip to San Diego.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

I stayed there for a convention. It was a ten minute walk for my short legs to the convention center, but I'm sure others get there in less time. One warning: the convention center is about .5 mile long and the end closest to the hotel was not being used, plus all of the conference rooms are on the opposite end. I actually think you'd walk less if you stayed across the street on the Gaslamp quarter side at the Gaslamp Hilton. However, then you'd miss the beautiful view of the bay!

The hotel was wonderful. The room was clean and extremely quiet. I never heard any noise other than the occasional click of a door closing. The bed and pillows were excellent, and there was a handy reading light on the headboard. The bath amenities were high quality and the towels were excellent. There was a handy rack in the bath that was very conveniently placed. This was a nice touch compared to most hotels.

I had a lovely view of the bridge, plus an interesting view of how much work goes into having Dole pineapple for sale in the continental US! (The hotel is located next to a working port, and Dole is berthed there.) Small children who are train fans would enjoy seeing the trolley and light rail depot as well. The hotel has 30 floors and I never had to wait long for an elevator due to their incredible system. There are two sets of 6 elevators. One set goes to certain floors and the other set does the rest.

I arrived at 10 a.m. (early flight), and was able to check in and leave my luggage in their storage area. They called my cell phone when my room was ready and it was simple to retrieve my luggage. I used the storage again at checkout (late flight) and once again it was very organized.

The hotel has a large parking garage and it is attached to a walkway that leads to Petco Park and the Gaslamp Quarter. The walkway has a great view of the bay and Coronado Bridge. There are tons of restaurants in the Gaslamp Quarter, so I never ate at the hotel.

This was my first time to travel alone and I never felt nervous in any way even though my room was a long walk from the elevator.

The pool area is incredible. The heated, salt water pool is right next to the bay, there is large screen TV at the far end with seating, and there were 6 cabanas with double chaises that each had their own TVs. I heard another guest say that during the week they rent the cabanas, but I didn't check for myself. The poolside snack bar had great drinks. The hot tub was great, too.

Room Tip: Specify if you don't want to overlook the Dole facility or train depot.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank lovesf48

Thank you so much for your recent review. I am so excited to hear how much you enjoyed the hotel and that you loved our location on the bay and close to all the best San Diego has to offer. I am happy to hear that you appreciated the beautiful views of the bay and downtown and that you were very pleased with your visit. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our future guests. I hope you come visit us again on your next trip to San Diego.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

I am a local from San Diego, a commercial real estate appraiser that has worked the largest and most prestigious hotels in the county and a Hilton Honors Member. So when I write about San Diego and the local hotels, I really know what I am talking about. The hotel looks much better from the outside than the inside. It is a disappointment. The lobby is very nice but the rooms are average to below average for the price of comparable hotel rooms on the bay. They a on the smallish side as well. The valet service was good. But beyond this, I have no real compliments.

Let's begin with the booking. I originally when online to Hilton Honors and used my point to book this reservation. The hotel is on the bay, across for Coronado (a beautiful town on the bay and beach). The booking that I made was for a single king size bed with a view of Port/Coronado view.

When I arrive at the hotel, I get in the Hilton Honor's line, thinking that because I am a member and spend so much in their hotel, that they are going to take care of me. The give me a room about mid way up on the 22nd floor. I arrive at my room and it is a double bed. I look out the window and my view is nothing but railroad tracks, grain silos, large gasoline storage tanks, truck trailers, industrial buildings, lovely "Logan Heights" (the poorest and most violent neighborhood in San Diego) and a tiny bit of the bay and Coronado Bridge. To most guests, this is an insult to their intelligence but to someone from San Diego that really know Coronado, this is spitting in your face.You should see the photo that i took out the window. I attached a photo of my view below.

After calling the desk and having the first clerk tell me that they have not king bed left in any rooms. I then demand the manager, threaten to leave (which I now with that I would have) and she suddenly finds a room. We wait another 45 minutes for them to bring the new room key. I call the manager again to complain and she promptly offers me a free breakfast buffet and I accept. The only problem was that she never had the coupon delivered.

The comedy of error continued. Upon arriving at our new room, after having used the bathroom, the toilet clogs up. It takes another 45 minutes for the janitor to arrive and unstop the drain.

By this time, I am livid. I am at a new hotel, on the bay in San Diego and have wasted my first two and one half hours just messing around with the front desk, management and the janitor just trying to get the right room and plumbing fixed almost missing our dinner reservations. On top of that, I was lied to by the manager that never provided us with what was promised.

There are many hotels on San Diego's lovely bay, most with views far superior to the Port/Coronado view (don't insult my intelligence). Maybe its because I am a local and know what a real view is, maybe it is because i am an appraiser and really know the price and values for similar rooms in the area or maybe it was because as a customer, I felt ripped off. What ever the case, I would not recommend this hotel under any circumstances. It's fraudulent advertising, rude management and poor service did not make be feel like a "Hilton Honors Member" but rather like a "Hilton Dis-Honors Member".

By the way, I did follow up with a complaint to another manager about not getting my breakfast buffet certificate. She followed through and got me one. However, when I went to the buffet, I waited another 30 minutes to be seated, yet the place was nearly empty. And when I requested a table with a view, the hostess rolled her eyes at me like I was a pain in the butt and refused to give my a table right by the window, even though there were an number of them open at the time.

This trip was supposed to be a getaway for me and the wife. Thanks for the memories Hilton!!! NOT

Room Tip: Yeah, don't go to this hotel at all but if you do get sucked into it do not get the Port/Coronad...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dan W

I am sincerely sorry for your experience. I am embarrassed that you felt as if our hotel was not up to your standards and that you and your wife did not get the memorable experience you were looking for. I want to thank you for your loyalty as a Hilton Honors member and let you know that your business is important to us. I would like to discuss your experience further. Please email me at katie.ellison@hiton.com. Thank you.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton Bayfront for a quick one-day business trip. Overall, a very nice experience.
Pros: Location is near the Convention Center, and has a sky bridge to the gas lamp area and Petco field. Staff was wonderful and truly seemed to care. They have Enterprise rental car on premesis which made my car return a breeze. The room was great - all the amenities. Starbucks on the property. I had a small meal at the Sports Bar which was very good and reasonably priced.

cons: Parking is outrageous at $27/day. Internet is $13.95/day. I don't mean to be picky, but these charges add up quickly.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rick2041

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your short stay with us. I am also glad to hear you took advantage of our on-property Enterprise Rent-A-Car. If you travel often on business I suggest becoming a HHonors member, Gold and Diamond level members get free in-room internet! I’d love to welcome you back anytime and hopefully you can stay a longer and really soak up San Diego.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I thought I was booking the Gaslamp Hilton when I made this reservation. This Hilton is a few extra blocks to make it to the the Gaslamp Quarter, but it's location right on the water is beautiful. It's a bit more secluded but still extremely close to the convention center and city. I'm glad I stayed here as its always fun to find a new, nice hotel, but I'd likely book the Gaslamp Hilton or Solamar next time.

• Stayed: June 2012

I’m glad you were pleasantly surprised when you ended up here coincidentally; sounds like fate to me! Of course, we love our sister hotels so it’s nice to hear when our guests do to. Even if you don’t stay with us next time, please feel free to come by and have a drink in Odysea and enjoy our amazing views! Thanks for sharing your review. I hope to see you again soon!