“Exhausted and desperate for a room”

Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Ranked #74 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Kimball, Michigan
“Exhausted and desperate for a room”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We drove into San Diego and got a nice hotel! The room was quiet - real close to the front door which was super convenient. We needed a roll away cot and got that for our daughter.
The bed was probably the nicest bed EVER in a hotel. The view outside was stunning!

Room Tip: We try to get cheaper hotels on priceline and it worked again for this hotel!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank michigan4me2
, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am ecstatic to learn that you loved the hotel and you appreciated how quiet and spacious your guestroom was. I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your bed and also the breathtaking views of the Bay, Coronado Island, and downtown San Diego. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,121)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
virginia
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I had to write this review after staying in this hotel for one night and then staying 2 nights at the Marriott Marquis, the one right next door from the conference center. I had an opportunity to compare both hotels and they both had their pros and cons.

My husband stayed here from June10-15th for a conference. He was up on floor 23 with the view of the "Dole ship". Though the view was so-so...it was very quiet. He is a very light sleeper and checked in past 11:00pm after a long 3 hour delay from Washington D.C. I called them to let them know that he was still coming and requested that they put him in a quiet room and they did honor that. Though he requested a king size bed, he was given 2 double beds. He didn't mind. When I arrived of course it was small for the two of us. The quietness masked the view after a long flight so that was a big plus for me.
The Pros:
1. The room very clean and new. Typical Hilton with good amenities in the room.I didn't see a refrigerator.
2. Not sure if it was just the high floor but it was quiet...very quiet, didn't hear the trolley or the bell or the train come although it is near the tracks. I think it was because the trolley and the train did not stop in front of the hotel. However, if you were at the Marriott, it was loud because there is a crossing and those trolleys make the noise/bell sound every few minutes...maybe longer but it sure drove me crazy.

Cons:
1.The lobby area did not have greeters like the Marriott did and it took almost 30 minutes to check out.
2. Parking $27 for self-parking
3. Cell phone connection was awful..I couldn't even text to my kids with my droid.
4. Most people seem like they were there for business so why charge $ for internet access from the room. We got a package with Marriott w/$40 food credit+parking+internet access for less than Hilton per night. AT least the connection should have been better..I had to talk to my kids downstairs or out of the hotel till we checked out.

I can't comment on restaurants or the pool because I didn't use the facilities.
Overall, I can see myself here again if it was just my husband and I, we had a king size bed, the we had a better rate than $245 per/night. It could have been because there was a conference but it seems as though there is a conference here every week.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor not facing the city...the bay or even the ship dock is better because it is quie...
1 Thank trixgirl
Healdsburg, California
Reviewed June 17, 2012

What a lovely location and rooms with such spectacular reviews. I watched a container ship full of Dole bananas and pineapples dock this morning next to my room view! It is a gorgeous hotel and I can fault it with nothing. The meeting breakout rooms have access to outdoor balconies and terraces with comfortable, relaxing outdoor seating, the pool is 25 yards long with a lap area and a circular play area - only problem there is that the children take over the pool leaving no room for serious lap swimmers. The hotel could suggest children use the circular part for play. Rooms are reasonably sized and feature large windows with spectacular views. Mine was a direct view from Cornado bridge to Point Loma and the ocean beyond.

Room Tip: Ask for end rooms.
, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear how much you loved the hotel and that you were impressed with the views of the Dole Ships, the bay, and Coronado Island. I am delighted to know that you appreciated all the space for your breakouts as well as the individual balconies for easy access outside to enjoy the amazing San Diego weather. I am pleased you liked the pool as well as your spacious guestroom. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I hope you visit us again soon.
Conception Bay South, Canada
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights and it was perfect. Fast check-in, courteous staff. Rooms are large and clean. We had the city view which was beautiful. We had breakfast and wifi included with the room rate. Had dinner at Vela one night. That was enough. Walk to the Gaslamp for a better meal at a better price. (Chianti would be a good choice). Fox Sports Grill was good for pub food at a reasonable price. Starbucks is always good to have close by.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Canadiantraveller246
, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am happy to hear that you loved the hotel and that you found the staff friendly and courteous throughout your visit. I am glad to know that you loved your spacious guestroom with beautiful views of the bay. I am pleased you enjoyed Fox Sports Grill located on property as well as the Starbucks. Thank you for choosing to stay with us.
Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

Very good hotel. The bar on the first floor is really good, quality. Rooms are very clean. If you park your car other side of the railroad, you can take the bridge which goes to the hotel. You can save 27 dollars a night. there is noting wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Drtolga
, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the hotel and that you loved the bar and your very clean and comfortable guestroom. I am happy to hear that you appreciated our location conveniently located close to Petco Park and the downtown Gaslamp Quarter. I apologize that the parking was more than you would have liked but our covered parking does offer our guests safety and convenience located directly next to the hotel. Thank you for sharing your feedback.
Austin,TX
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I just stayed 4 nights at the Bayfront and it was nice. They room was very comfortable and looked out onto the bay, and city center/GasLight district. Very easy access to PetCo Field for baseball, easy walk to the GasLight district, and nice walks along the bay front.

Parking is $27 a day for self, not much option here unless you can find parking in the city and walk. Lots of access to restaurants and stuff to do. Coronado island is easy by water taxi or a quick 5 minute drive. I thought it was a very nice hotel. Very large pool area also.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a quick lunch while you are there, cross the railroad tracks and hit the Tin...
2 Thank TheNetBuilder
, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased to know how much you enjoyed the hotel and all the wonderful amenities we offer our guests. I am delighted to learn that you found your guestroom comfortable and inviting and you appreciated our convenient location close to Petco Park and Coronado Island. Thank you for choosing to stay with us.
Scotland
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Stayed here for a week and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Rooms are clean and very comfortable. We were on the 25th floor and we had no problems with noise at all. Within walking distance of Gaslamp area and coronado ferry stop nearby. Would have appreciated free wi-fi in rooms. However, apart from that, the hotel met my expectations.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chattyboo
, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review. I am happy to hear how much you enjoyed the hotel and our easily accessible location. I am glad to know that you found your room and the property clean and comfortable. I am delighted that you loved the view and all the amenities we offer our guests. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.