“Great place to stay”

Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Topeka
san jose, ca
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed August 9, 2010

The Hyatt Place in Topeka is a great hotel. We stayed here for a week while visiting relatives. Most of the staff is super. However, one of the desk clerks was gruff and didn't appear to have many customer service skills. We only approached her two times with normal questions and both times she looked at us through half-opened eyes with a "are you kidding me?" expression on her face. She was a little scary. Everyone else was very pleasant and kind. The hotel is very clean and the breakfast was adequate. They serve biscuits and gravy on the weekdays. But curiously enough, they do not on the weekends. It was a little disappointing. The fruit salad was extremely sour/bitter. Everything else was ok...cereal, bagels, bread, yogurt.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Mountain Time
Reviewed July 31, 2010

After a long day of driving, I stopped off here with my children. The lobby is lovely and the staff very friendly. The first room we got smelled musty and had food all over the floor. The second room had hair in the bathtub. We were given a third room and it had even more food and hair in the bathroom. We finally took one of the rooms and put towels everywhere there had been any hair. I was extremely grossed out, but we were all desperately tired. We left super early the next morning as none of us slept well.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
6 Thank betsyray
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 30, 2010

Second HP stay on our cross-country journey. Exact same hotel/room layout. Main complaint is the breakfast area - very cramped area with a large table in the buffet area. We now get a tray, select our breakfast items, leave the melee buffet/reception area to have a quiet breakfast in our room. Hotel is located passed a round-about(circle)- Americans just need to learn to negotiate them as they ARE safer - entering -one yields, once in, you have the right of way AND use your indicator (blinker) to exit. Anyway, there's a nice pond & paved path to walk & stretch your legs next to the hotel. It's true there's no sign at the lane to the hotel, but hotel is visible from the street. Hotel is conveniently located right off the interstate. Couldn't get across/out of KS in one day,so this was my choice lay-over, and I'd stay here again, if necessary. Large room, large flat screen TV w/video inputs, free WiFi, small fitness area, good A/C, comfy beds, frig, coffee maker and desk in room.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 27, 2010

This was my first stay at a Hyatt property. There is a two lane round-about you need to go through to enter the street leading to the hotel. It is unecessary as the one street leading away from the hotel is a dead-end road with no businesses. 4 times I went through he round about and almost got hit or hit someone. They are very dangerous. A 4 way stop intersection would have been better.

The road to get to the hotel's parking lot is not marked, nor is there a sign for the hotel telling you where to turn in at. The adjacent business center has a sign at the road - but not Hyatt. I turned in here only to assume you had to drive through the business center parking lot to get to the hotel parking lot. There is only 1 entry/exit and this is it.

The hotel itself was wonderful. Staff was courteous. I and several friends (taking up 5 rooms) only stayed one night. The room was clean ( room 313). The only problem was the air conditioner was dripping water on the carpet. I didn't notice it till morning when I got wet feet when I went to open the curtains. There was a little bit of road noise, but it wasn't too bad. I noticed it as I had turned off the Air Conditioner at 2 am so I could sleep.

The pool appeared like it was built on the shaded portion of the building, but I'm not really sure.

The room had small desk & chair, refrigerator, small sink & counter top but no microwave oven. The very small clothes closet is hidden behind a sliding mirrored door to the right of the bathroom vanity. There is no hint that the mirror slides to reveal a closet. The room divider is too close to the one bed, so it might be a problem for those sleeping on the side of the bed near he divider..

Energy efficent bulbs throughout the room so it was rather dim with some of the darker colors in the room. Bathroom was clean.

Overall, I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
USA
Reviewed July 26, 2010

State of the art hotel. Room is huge and TV is bigger, with HD! Bathroom is extremely small. Large sink is outside. Toilet inside is placed too close to the door - pretty much the m.o. of all Hyatt Places. Shower was great! Bed was a blessing, so comfortable. Refrigerator , couch and large desk were in this fatastic suite. The complimentary continental breakfast could have been allot better - but at least the coffee was good. Free newspapers included: Wall Street Journal, USA Today and local Topeka paper. Parking lot was huge with plenty of spots. Close to the State Capital and Brown vs. Board of Ed building.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
St.Louis Mo.
Reviewed July 22, 2010

My bed sheets were not changed. Cleaning was poor and that maid pierced all over the face was a terrible impression

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank sonic2007
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 12, 2010

As mentioned spent a week at Hyatt Place and enjoyed myself. My room featured a 46" plasma TV with access to a few genuine HD channels (HIGHLY unusual!). It also featured a separate conveniently-mounted patch panel that would be useful for the traveler carrying a laptop with HDMI output on its BluRay DVD player. Perfect for extended veg-out sessions...with a couple exceptions. The large sectional in my room was nearly impossible to use for any extended time due to totally worn-out foam on every single one of its bottom cushions. I ended up using both throw pillows for support down there and, even then...
Guess one COULD lounge on the bed, but, again, why? I don't know WHY Hyatt brags about their beds! These things are closer to cotton-covered bricks than quality, cushy mattresses! SO - nix the idea of substituting bed for dead sectional...
Provided wireless internet is slow and signal strength is weak - not a very good solution - especially considering they've run local cable to each room.
WORD - I visited Shatner and originally booked a full 7-day stay. I attempted to renew - in a timely fashion - for another 7 days, but this was declined unless I was willing to pay TWICE the daily rate I'd had! Look, hotel-industry-in-general!. I KNOW you'd rather not accommodate, "us," but, if it's really such a chore, how about simply telling the, "Negotiator" you've made the negative attitude a formal policy and start refusing to accept bids? I KNOW this hotel had openings - I ASKED! Anyway, left a bad taste in my mouth and, in the future, I won't look at Hyatt unless there aren't any alternatives (and, even in the backwater I'm currently visiting, Hyatt, you have LOTS of competition!)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business