“Don't stay on an event night or convention!!!”

Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Topeka
Kansas City, Missouri
“Don't stay on an event night or convention!!!”
Reviewed October 2, 2010

Hotel is in great location and right near downtown. Building is nice enough, but needs updating. Right next to convention center so big conventions and concerts are a pain to those business travelers like me. Staff is rude and not helpful. Food and coffee in lounge is overpriced. Elevators are fun. Fountains on side are pretty.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Be careful of this place, the devil is in the details. 1) The bottle of water in the bathroom for sale is $4, for that price the water better come from the fountain of eternal youth. 2) Housecleaning will do a fantastic job of cleaning (stealing) the money right out of your room. 3) Basic ammenities are not included, such as a microwave and refrigerator in each room. But of course, the hotel will provide a mini refrigerator for a $10 dollar charge. 4) The free WiFi is a joke, you'll achieve faster speeds with a dial up modem. 6) Sleeping, I hope you don't plan on getting any because the doors to the rooms have to be slammed in order to be shut. 7) The restaurant and room service are so overpriced you'll need to mortage your house to pay the bill. In short, if you have a strong desire to part with your money this hotel is perfect for you. But, if your like me and like to get a decent value for your money then I suggest going esle where.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed September 10, 2010

This is definitely one of the nicest hotels in Topeka even though it is really nothing special. Customer service is average, everyone is nice and informative but no one really goes out of their way to make you feel especially welcome. We've stayed here 3 times and each time we have waited about ten minutes to check in. The rooms are pretty basic. They are clean but we always have to ask for extra pillows and towels and we always seem to get a room overlooking the roof of the conference center. Although, we have never requested a room with a better view. Capital Plaza is in a great location right next to the Expocenter and not too far from the highway if you need to get to the other side of town. The resturaunt and bar are adequate, my kids like the pool and they do have express check out.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I stayed one night for business. The room was not great and had peeling wallpaper. All of the signs said the lobby bar was open until 11:00 pm. I went to the bar at 10:45 pm and was told it was closed even though there was a man drinking a fresh beer sitting at the bar. The bartender said he was a hotel employee and they were not serving anyone else despite what the signs said. It was very bad service. The shower curtain was closed when I arrived. I opened it in the morning to take a shower and found the tub covered in brown stuff. It was gross. Even in Topeka, Kansas there are better places to stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank jayhawk2000
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 4, 2010

I'm typing this up on the tiny room desk that is nearly 100% consumed by a table lamp and my 15.4" laptop. I'm, "inputting" all this with my hands at shoulder-height as there's a non-adjustable chair with a worn-out seat cushion intended for use with this miniscule desk. That's after I crawled about on my hands and knees to plug my laptop in as, unlike other m/hotels, the portion of the Hammons organization that runs the show here in Topeka has yet to discover how important it is to add computer-friendly amenities - such as readily-accessible AC outlets. I-Net connectivity is via several slow, signal-challenged wireless internet connections, although there are actual hard-wire jacks (could that actually be a DIAL-UP connection?) near floor level, but those have been completely disconnected.
Staying more than a day here? I suggest you hide any spare toiletries as the Housekeeping staff tends to dispose of whatever's in use and doesn't appear to consistently remember to replace them. That is, IF one gets service at all! On one day of my seven-day stay, despite leaving the room around 11:00 AM and not returning until after 5:00 PM, no one serviced my room. Upon returning, I called the Front Desk to complain and was rewarded with a, "So what?" attitude. Anyway, one can expect the cleaning crews to do the bare minimum. Er, if they show up at all. They WILL replace used towels and make ones bed. They will NOT do anything else. I tracked a scrap of paper on the bathroom floor and a blood stain beneath the toilet paper dispenser for my entire 7-day stay. Neither were touched, although both were in plain sight.
Other things to dislike about this overrated-at-three-stars facility include a 27" square RCA TV that features five (!) ESPN channels among the 34 total offerings. Lower rated m/hotels in the area have all replaced these old units with widescreen 32" to 46" LCD or plasma sets (and I should know! This is the fifth h/motel I've been in since having a medical problem that mandates I stay in Topeka until mid-September!) Some towels are threadbare, but, if not totally worn out, all are thin, some bathmats are literally shredding, and both the aforementioned, "desk chair" (quotes intended) and an armchair in the room are completely worn out and impossible to use without using bed pillows to replace the now-flat foam padding. The bed mattress is okay, though - and that's a definite plus. Further, if one is a people-watcher, the Lobby is bound to disappoint. Most of it's taken up by a bar with an attached restaurant (or vice versa) with only two chairs at lobby level that can be utilized for witnessing the comings and goings of the outside world. There is a small gift shop at the southwest end of the lobby, but I understand that's due to close soon.
In terms of convenience, here in Topeka the farther one gets from I-70, the fewer the restaurants, grocery stores, department stores, etc. The Capitol Plaza is quite a ways from the Interstate so unless one is attending an event at the Expocentre next door or conducting business at State Offices a few blocks away, one should avoid the place. Additionally, the hotel parking is occasionally atrocious with the major parking lot tending to fill up rapidly and isn't very convenient to either of the m/hotel's entrances in any case. Plan on walking quite a distance to an entrance on busy nights.
Overall, I believe the appelation, "overrated" is generous. Very little to recommend this place, especially considering it's priced with the best Topeka has to offer, and, yet, offers no amenities other than convenient access to the Expocentre for a reason. No free breakfast buffet, watching a movie on a 27" 4:3 television's no treat, and the staff have either a cavalier attitude toward the guests or they hold them in genuine contempt. Having stayed at Hammons properties in Springfield, MO and Omaha, NE in the past, I can state with some confidence this attitude isn't universal with the chain. The Capitol Plaza could use some new management to go with an extensive refurb.
In short, one can do FAR better for significantly less money - even in Topeka, Kansas!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank mrc050
Kansas
Reviewed April 8, 2010

I booked this room on very short notice on Priceline. Wasn't too sure of the location but we loved it. Right off the interstate and also close to I-70. Very quiet location and the staff was very friendly. The place was spotless and our bed was very comfortable. We did not eat in the restaurant but it looked very nice. We had a wonderful experience. The hotel was a little dated but it did not bother us at all.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 3pugluver
Colorado
Reviewed February 24, 2010

I had stayed in this hotel years ago, so I went back because of the previous experience. I was not dissapointed. The location is perfect for the areas we needed to visit.

Hotel room was clean and roomy. They have free wi-fi (yeah!) too. The room service menu is small, but I'd recommend the angus burger - two people could eat that one meal alone.

Our room was large (two doubles) and had enough space for a family of three (with a crib in the room). Checking in/out was a hassel, the staff took a bit long and the wait was long as they only had one person servicing the registration desk. The room service attendants were very friendly and helpful - though I did not eat at the on-site restaurant, it was usually pretty busy throughout the day.

My only complaint would be the noise at night - though minimal, you do hear it, especially on a weekend stay. All of the rooms face towards the atrium and the noise from the bar area carries all the way up to the 7th floor (where our room was). So at 10pm when we and our 1 yr old were ready for bed - Saturday night's bar crowd kept us up.

Overall, I would go back - I found a great deal online (you can also follow the hotel on twitter and get great deals that way too)...or name your own price.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business