WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka

Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Topeka
Kansas City, Missouri
“Fairly nice, but lacks amenities”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

Nice hotel as far as looks, but lacks basic amenities one would expect of a high end hotel such as this. No fridge or microwave in the rooms. The swimming pool liked like an Olympic sized lap pool on the website. Amazing how a fish eye camera lens can deceive. It was only 4'6" or 5" max depth and was about 50 feet long if that. The water wasn't even very warm for an indoor pool. The city pool I went to two days later that was OUTSIDE was probably warmer.

I had a room this type with two beds because my family joined me. I'm pretty sure they were just double beds - not queen. I have a queen at home and I couldn't believe how cramped I was. Even after they left a day before me and I slept one night by myself in the double bed, I felt like my feet were sticking off the end of the bed. I didn't get that great of a sleep this time.

I've stayed here four times for business because my company pays for it. If I was paying, I would probably try something different. I guess for free I can't complain...too much.

Room Tip: If you don't need two beds, do NOT get them. Get the single room with a king size bed instead.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank nbw791

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

The Capitol Plaza Hotel is going to be a comfortable stay while in Topeka, KS.

Room: The room I had was on a high floor, with a view of the convention center/arena. The way that this hotel is set up is with all rooms looking down into the courtyard or center of the hotel, which is great if you stay on a higher floor but could be louder if you are on a lower floor. The rooms was clean and large, the bathroom was ok, nothing spectacular but no complaints either. The only issue I had with my room was my key card de-magnetized, and having to get get another one is always a pain.

Breakfast: Breakfast is not free, but to tell you the truth it's worth paying for. Probably one of the best breakfasts i've even had at a hotel and for a reasonable cost.

Location: Like I said, it's near the convention center/arena, so I would highly recommend it that is your reason for visiting. It's also close to the Washburn campus. Ultimately, it's Topeka, and getting around the city isn't going to take you long wherever you end up staying.

If I had to go back to the Topeka, Kansas area I would absolutely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor!
Zug, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

Great service, attractive lobby, dining, and bar lounge. Beds are comfortable, and the rooms are large enough to be comfortable. Nice shower, ample closet space, work area for our laptops. We booked a room that did not come with a refrigerator, but upon checking in and requesting one, the staff immediately delivered one to our room. We have stayed in this hotel many times, and always have had a good experience.

Room Tip: Nice hotel bar area, restaurant offers a Sunday brunch. Rooms are comfortable and clean. This is a...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

I was recently at the CPH for a show and our group took full advantage of the many amenities of the CPH. The rooms were very clean and well furnished. The hotel was extremely accommodating to those of us who traveled with pets. There were many cleaning stations set for the pets in the event of an accident and the grounds were wonderful for the dogs to get plenty of exercise. We utilized the meeting rooms and the staff met all of our requests. We also held our banquet and a main event in one of the ball rooms. Everything went perfectly and with everything being in one spot we never had to leave the compound for anything.
The main dining room was a bit understaffed for the volume of visitors and the food was ok. Breakfast was better than dinner. But the prices were a bit high. Fairly typical for hotel restaurants though. I was just expecting the mid west to be a bit more reasonable with prices. They really wanted people to eat off the buffet and seemed a bit put out when you wanted to order from the menu. Lunch had a good variety.
The bar was in a great setting in the center of it all and became a nice place to meet and have a coffee or drink.
Easy trip to KC airport though transportation is a bit steep. But if you share the ride it helps and the drivers the Hotel staff recommends are timely and friendly. Hotel desk staff were very helpful and friendly.
Overall it was a really nice trip.

Room Tip: view is better off the backside of the hotel. Our view was over the entrance so it was of a roof.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Omaha, Nebraska
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,440 helpful votes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

I recently stayed two nights in the Capitol Plaza and had a pretty good experience. Check in was easy and the staff helpful. The room was a king size bed which was pretty comfortable. The rooms was average in size and was clean. The fitness room has cardio and free weights which was nice as many hotels now just have cardio only. Plenty of parking and 3 elevators to bring you from floor to floor. The set up of the hotel is like Embassy Suites in the layout but the rooms are not nearly as big as E.S. Decent amount of food options in the hotel area. I recommend eating at The Blue Moose if you are looking for a good meal in Topeka.

1 Thank AlexanderDelarge
Lawson, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

We stayed at the Capitol Plaza for a three day event at the adjacent Expo Center. The staff was outstanding and helpful. The room was large and well appointed. The elevators were roomy and very fast. Its a bit pricy, but you get what you pay for.

Seville, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

The Capitol Plaza Hotel, is one of the nicest places while in Topeka,Kansas for the weekend. Our check-in was very smooth, parking was close & no extra charge! The staff was helpful and the hotel was extremely clean!! The fitness center although not big was clean and had like new equipment, our room was spotless, room service breakfast was very good & well presented. As we drove around Topeka during a rain delay in the racing this hotel looks like the best in town and only about 8 miles west of the Heartland Park Raceway Park. It might be a few dollars more but well worth it!

Room Tip: Higher floors are nice & quiet, the bar & restaurant are in the center atrium and the lower...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends