“Like the bar downstairs”

Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Topeka
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

The hotel was above average. Decent bedding, big room, limited tv channels, friendly service and room service available.

Pros: very clean, nice gym, bar in the middle of hotel with TVs.

Cons: not many nearby restaurants.

I recommend for business meetings

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
CapitolPlazaGM, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear A_Ruizcalderon,

Thanks for the great comments regarding the bedding, big room, friendly service and room service. We continually look at upgrading our TV Channel listings and have increased our HD channels when we installed our new LG TV's. I am happy that you enjoyed our newly renovated fitness center as well.

Thanks for taking the time to make such great comments, and we look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

I stay at the Capital Plaza on business with business (Kansas Association of Realtors); the quality of the stay is consistently excellent. Staff are friendly, responsive, rooms are clean, food is great, and check out is easy. Close to the capitol complex and easy to get in and out of the hotel and parking. I recommend it.

Room Tip: I haven't had a poor location in the 7 years I've been staying there.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear Carol L,

Everyone at the Capitol Plaza Hotel digs the 5 bubble rating that you gave us. Many of my Associates watch the Trip Advisor website and sometimes let me know when comments are received, both good and bad, even before I see them. We love hosting the KAR conference and have alot of fun with the Realtors. Consistency is something that we strive for, and when we miss the mark, we drill down and find out what was the root of the issue. Thanks for calling us consistent. It just reinforces what we try to do every day at the Capitol Plaza Hotel.

Thanks again, and we will see you at the next conference.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

I attended a conference in October of 2013 and spent one night at this hotel. Very nice, the lobby was inviting and very clean. The center of the lobby has a great bar and social area. My room was wonderful, clean and had a pull-out couch which is nice. The conference center is right next door to the hotel and in fact, has an enclosed walk-way that you can take which keeps you from the summer heat and winter cold. Very handy! the restaurant is very nice and is reasonable in their prices.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear "FamilyoffiveMissouri",

Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know of your "5 Bubble" stay.

I am glad that you enjoyed your clean room, lobby bar and social area. The enclosed walkway is great when it is -20 degrees, or 105 degrees. It is quite beautiful to look at the historic Heritage Hall from the confines of the glass "link" area when it is snowing.

As one of 8 kids, I know that your time is valuable and I thank you for the great review.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Stayed at property during Christmas. Upon our arrival, the front desk was helpful, and the facility was clean. Once in our room, it appeared clean and nice. All the staff members I had contact with were nice and helpful. The restaurant and atrium bar was closed for Christmas holiday, but that didn't seem to be a big deal, and actually the property was very nice and quiet. Won't have any regrets about returning here.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Waterpklover,

Great comments are like gold to us at the Capitol Plaza Hotel. Thanks so much for taking the time to brighten our day with the great comments regarding the clean facility, nice and helpful staff members and the quietness of your stay. We would love to have you back. From one "Waterpark lover " to another. I lived not too far from Wisconsin Dells for over 6 years, and hit many Water Parks....!!

Reviewed December 17, 2013

We were there for a company Christmas party so everything was pre-arranged. The ballroom was tastefully decorated. The appetizers delicious and the filet mignon was fabulous but the mashed potatoes were cold. The other selection was a portabello mushroom with mashed potato and veges. I would have been embarrassed to pass it off as a dinner selection. A few cut up mushrooms atop the potato, hardly worth the prices. Breakfast was included, it was a buffet. The food was plentiful but cold and the toaster only toasted the top part of the bread.The rooms were excellent, roomy, clean and plush. However the toilet handle needed to be held down to flush all the way. Everyone was friendly and helpful. I would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 6, 2013

It's Topeka so I didn't expect much since I had been there quite a few years ago. Not much has changed in that particular area of town. I chose this hotel because it was closest 3 star hotel to the family I was visiting. Mistake.

Check in was fine, fast, and easy. That's where everything good ended. My room "looked" nice but upon further inspection, it was dirty. I wore white socks and the bottoms turned brown from the carpet. Dust along the wall, in back of the bed, tables, under the desk. Not a little dust, but a lot of dust. I dropped my change and looked under the bed. A pizza box, a couple of cans of soda, some kleenex, and a lot dirt and other stuff. No dead rats though or even an empty trap.

Bed linens were good, towels were adequate, pillows were from Big Lots or similar....bricks. Coffee maker didn't get hot enough to heat the water so I got tea strength coffee. Skimpy of the soaps, ample shampoo.

Here is where you might want to pay particular attention if you're considering this hotel. It is gawd-awful noisy. It's pet and kid friendly. That means that you WILL hear the kiddies running and screaming down the halls, slamming doors, etc. After 20 minutes of continual noise from these unsupervised runts, I opened my door and asked them where their parents were. They were at the bar right below but it still didn't end. Other kids took their place. Then dogs barking but that wasn't a major annoyance. Management SHOULD have taken care of this kid problem since there is no way they couldn't have heard them with the way the atrium is set up. I did call the front desk and they said they would send up security. Didn't happen or if it did, the guy them candy and told them to continue or make even more noise. Which brings me to the bar in the atrium. You can literally hear the conversations and TV from there. It said on the website that the lounge closes at 10 p.m. Uh, no. It was still going strong, or at least the loud laughing and chatter until 1 a.m. We're not talking about just being able to hear it, we're talking about it being loud enough to penetrate your door and you have to crank up your TV or radio to drown it out. So if you're planning on getting some sleep before 1 a.m., strongly reconsider.

I checked out early and they did want to penalize me for a full night. I told them it wasn't going to happen considering the amount of noise and I offered to show them the filth under the bed. I got my way and I went to the Hyatt Place. It cost about the same and is clean, quiet, much nicer, and you get a free hot breakfast. Trust me, there are so many better choices for the same amount of money and no aggravation.

Room Tip: I think all rooms face the atrium but ask.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank FoxCL
Reviewed November 21, 2013

First stay in October there was a dog convention. Dogs barked all night long. Next trip, my fault I thought I'd give it another shot as it's close to downtown. The room is dusty and there are burn holes in the curtains. I go to plug in my cell phone and dust flies up from behind the night stand. It's cold so I go to grab a blanket from the closet, which looks like it's from the 60's it's that threadbare.

It's now 1145 pm and it's so noisy I can't sleep. I call the front desk about the teenagers laughing and screaming above or beside me. I hear the person knock on their door and ask them to be quiet. Now their slamming their door. Not to mention the people in the bar that are NEVER going to stop laughing and talking.

I'm done, if you want clean and well kept, not to mention quiet...go somewhere else. Don't make my mistake.

• Stayed: November 2013