“Good place to stay”

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Topeka
OK
“Good place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Was in town to judge the Ridgeback Specialty. The hotel was easily accessible off of the interstate. Grounds were well maintained and clean, despite there being a lot of dogs present. Kudos to the dog people for keeping the surrounding area clean. The room was large and comfortable, and clean. The bathroom was clean and well maintained. The biggest complaint I would have is the water was too soft. Whether the water softener was turned up too high or the water is that way naturally, I couldn't say. But it was almost impossible to get the shampoo washed out because the water was too soft. Use soap and shampoo sparingly. The staff was very polite and helpful. We ate at the restaurant in the hotel. The food was good. A bit pricey. Had a great waiter, very polite and attentive.

Room Tip: The rooms were quiet. We were on 4th floor. There was no noise from the road.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
CapitolPlazaGM, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Lurcorsr

Thank you for the kind comments regarding your stay with us. You are very perceptive in regards to the soft water. We had just completed a new soft water installation the week before and the softness of the water was still being adjusted to the proper hardness. Thanks for the positive comments on the restaurant, rooms cleanliness, and our great staff. Hopefully we will see you for the shows next year. Thanks again!

Kevin Smith-GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Marion, Kansas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Hotel was very clean and well-kept. The bar downstairs was very busy when I checked in (which I took as a good sign). My room was on the 7th floor, away from the elevators. I had no problem with noise except for the sirens I heard early in the morning. The room was very clean, decor was nice. Beds were very comfortable with plenty of covers. The pillows were very "squishy" which I am not a fan of, so sleeping was a little difficult due to that. I had breakfast and lunch in one of those conference rooms. Overall I was pleased with the selection and taste. Better than a continental breakfast but nothing fancy. Lunch was surprisingly good. It wasn't very appealing to the eye but tasted very good. The wait staff was excellent and very courteous!

Dear Autumn P,

Thanks for your great comments regarding your stay with us. I am happy that you found the bed comfortable, but am sorry that the pillows were too "squisy" for your taste. I also prefer a "flat" pillow, so my wife makes me take my own.

I am glad that you enjoyed the Banquet meal, and that the staff were attentive.

Thanks again for your great comments.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed here Saturday night, the 19th of October 2013. I checked in in the early afternoon, tired after driving 300 miles. I tried to rest about 5PM but was unable to even after plugging my ears with cotton balls. There were a bunch of kids running up and down the hallway in front of my room (319), screaming, and slamming doors. I kept hoping it would end, but it did not, so I finally called the front desk between 7 and 8 PM. I talked to Dee. Instead of finding another room for me, she said to call the front desk next time it got unbearable. I finally went to bed about 10 PM and the noise from the bar downstairs, with loud talking and laughing coming from people who were enjoying one too many lasted until 1 AM. Finally, I figured I could now get some sleep. About 2 AM I got up to turn the heat on because it was very cold that night. I went through this routine every hour, raising the heat an extra degree each time. About 6 AM I figured it out: there was no heating!!

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor, and make sure the A/C is on or the heater, whichever the time of year may req...
1 Thank Robert A
Dear Mr. Robert A,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us in October.

I apologize that there were kids running around at 5pm. I did speak with Dee and the assumption was that once the kids were all checked into their rooms and their dinner began, that the noise would subside. Our first remedy is not always to have the guest move, as it is an inconvenience for them. Dee did ask that if you were still being disturbed to let her know and she could move you if needed. We do have rooms on the North side of the hotel that are removed from the atrium, and any bar noise. I apologize that we did not offer to move you immediately.

All of our heating and cooling systems were operating that night, according to our computerized logs. If you had mentioned it at checkout, then it would have been input into our system, and corrected if there was a problem. I appreciate you letting us know via Trip Advisor, and hopefully upon checkout.

Thanks again for your comments.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

The Staff Were Super Nice And So Friendly. The Hotel Was Very Clean And When We Asked For More Towels, They Were Very Prompt. I Ordered Room Service Once And It Was Great! The Restaurant Was Very Good And So Were The Staff. The Chef Was Very Friendly And Made The Experience That Much More Enjoyable. I Didn't Use The Fitness Center But Used The Pool. That Was A Cold Cold Indoor Pool. I Used The Hot Tub Instead!! They are a pet friendly hotel so it smelled like dogs in the elevator. The rooms were very clean and free of pet hair. I could hear dogs barking when inside my room. Especially when it was about 8 pm when the owners left. Great timing for putting my kids to bed. Over all, I thought my stay was very welcoming and would go back again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Kansas, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Rooms are a good size. Carpets appear to be loose (trip hazard??) all over the hotel (especially noticeable in the long corridor to get to the conference center). Did not have problems with noise in my room as other reviewers did. Maybe it had something to do with my room placement. Conference food was excellent and the wait staff was AWESOME. Things needed fixed in my room...addressed management and they assured me everything would be taken care of. Very few smiles upon check in but the ladies were pleasant enough. Check out was a breeze. There is no complimentary breakfast but there is a restaurant and a bar in the atrium (I did not utilize either of them due to the expense). Did have WIFI in my room which was nice. Be warned that all shopping and restaurants outside the hotel will require driving quite a ways. There is nothing close by except for Harley Davidson's cafe and Sonic. I agree with the slippery duvet on the bed from the previous viewer. The colors were nice, though and fit well with the room. Stayed here because of a convention...was good enough for that. Will stay across town if I bring my family due to lack of nearby shopping, nearby restaurants, and complimentary breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Prior to moving to Topeka I would always stay in this hotel when I would visit. Now I recommend it to any guests we have come to town. It is incredibly clean, in a quiet location, and the staff is wonderful. The only issue I have with it is that the rooms could use some updating. Try the restaurant inside!

Stayed November 2012
Salina, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had a state convention here for 3 days, complete with catering for several meals, for approximately 600 professionals. No wireless in the conference center!?! Limited wireless access in meeting rooms for presenters only?? You have to walk allllll the way to the hotel lobby to get any access to wireless for email, twitter, etc. which is NOT convenient for attendees. The staff is friendly and the rooms clean, but in this day and age, even lower-budget hotels have wifi everywhere! The caterers were not gluten-free/vegetarian friendly, and we got just an extra scoop of veggies with our rice when we asked for our special meals, along with a poor attitude from our cater waiter. Also, do NOT get a room facing the atrium if you want peace and quiet! I could hear laughing and "lounge music" late into the night, as everything echos upwards due to poor architecture.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
CapitolPlazaGM, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear LibraryGoddess2013,

Thank you attending the KS Library Assocation Conference. Wireless Internet is available in the Conference Center when it is ordered through person in charge of the conference.

We do have 100mb internet service available, which is an extremely large amount of bandwidth.

We do offer free Wi-Fi in the guestrooms and the lobby. We do prepare veggie and gluten free meals upon request, and I apologize that your meal was not satisfactory. I will address the "Attitude" with the server with the Food and Beverage Director. The lounge closes at 11pm, but I am sure alot of the conference attendees were still conversing in the open lobby area, and I apologize that you could hear them. The atrium style hotel and glass elevators were built for safety and security, as well as ambience.

Thank you again for your comments, as we will add these to our conference notes.