“Very Nice, Could Use Updating”

Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Topeka
“Very Nice, Could Use Updating”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Prior to moving to Topeka I would always stay in this hotel when I would visit. Now I recommend it to any guests we have come to town. It is incredibly clean, in a quiet location, and the staff is wonderful. The only issue I have with it is that the rooms could use some updating. Try the restaurant inside!

Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Salina, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had a state convention here for 3 days, complete with catering for several meals, for approximately 600 professionals. No wireless in the conference center!?! Limited wireless access in meeting rooms for presenters only?? You have to walk allllll the way to the hotel lobby to get any access to wireless for email, twitter, etc. which is NOT convenient for attendees. The staff is friendly and the rooms clean, but in this day and age, even lower-budget hotels have wifi everywhere! The caterers were not gluten-free/vegetarian friendly, and we got just an extra scoop of veggies with our rice when we asked for our special meals, along with a poor attitude from our cater waiter. Also, do NOT get a room facing the atrium if you want peace and quiet! I could hear laughing and "lounge music" late into the night, as everything echos upwards due to poor architecture.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
CapitolPlazaGM, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear LibraryGoddess2013,

Thank you attending the KS Library Assocation Conference. Wireless Internet is available in the Conference Center when it is ordered through person in charge of the conference.

We do have 100mb internet service available, which is an extremely large amount of bandwidth.

We do offer free Wi-Fi in the guestrooms and the lobby. We do prepare veggie and gluten free meals upon request, and I apologize that your meal was not satisfactory. I will address the "Attitude" with the server with the Food and Beverage Director. The lounge closes at 11pm, but I am sure alot of the conference attendees were still conversing in the open lobby area, and I apologize that you could hear them. The atrium style hotel and glass elevators were built for safety and security, as well as ambience.

Thank you again for your comments, as we will add these to our conference notes.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel was pretty regular in looks, the food was just OK. But to make up for it the staff was absolutely wonderful. One of the managers actully drove us to town and came back to pick us up when we were finished site seeing. Everytime I called the desk they were great and instantly responsive. I would go there again because as someone else said, people make the difference.

2 Thank Pam F
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the kind comments regarding your stay with us in October 2013. I am glad that my Management Team took such great care of you, and you enjoyed your stay.

My Staff loves to see these great comments.

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

This hotel may look nice but that is all it has. The beds are EXTREMELY uncomfortable and very hard mattresses. I would also suggest bringing your own pillows if you want comfort. Tried to adjust the air conditioner but heard it come on and room temp stayed the same. They do not offer free coffee in the lobby. Instead, they will direct you to the restaurant to purchase. We were not greeted with smiles upon arrival and when checking out. If you visit Topeka to shop, this is not the location you want. Stay somewhere on the west side closer to Wanamaker. This is also where the restaurants are located. No place decent to eat near this hotel. And not the best side of town.

Room Tip: Not sure what tip Icould give.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Traci C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. I really have not heard many comments on the beds being too hard. We use Serta Presidential Series for our beds, which are used in many high end hotels. These are rotated and flipped upon a schedule to keep them in great shape. The room air conditioner is controlled by a brand new digital controller, and has worked extremely well since we upgraded them. If you had called down to the desk, I could have sent an Engineer up to check it, and if necessary make some adjustments. I do wish to thank you for giving us 5 stars on the cleanliness of the room.

Thanks again for your comments, as they will only help us to get better.

Parsons, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

My wife and I were here for a convention. She teaches a lot of online courses and needs Internet access. We reported a problem with the Internet. Clay, the HEAD of maintenance. came to check out the problem. Then came WIlberto with his bubbly personality and loaded and moved all of our things to another room where the reception was better. Then we had such a wonderful time with Jewels and Sarah in the restaurant. The hotel leaves a plaquard in the room based on "The Stranger within Our Gates." It gives a verbal blessing, but the people, like Clay, Wilberto, Jewels and Sarah make the blessings actually happen.

Dear Zollars,

Thank you so much for the great comments about the staff at the Capitol Plaza Hotel.

I am so happy that Clay, Wilberto, Sarah and Jewels made your stay with us pleasant.

It is refreshing to hear our guests tell us what I already know, that our staff is supurb.

I will post your comments in the hotel breakroom for all to see, and acknowledge the above Associates for their great service attitude.

Thanks again, and please come back soon.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

First of all, this hotel IS NOT located in "gangland" as one previewer has stated. The parking lot is very large and extends around the hotel and several other conference-center type buildings so it's not surprising all the spaces right up front weren't taken. I stayed here for three nights in October 2013 and I was very satisfied and I am very particular. My room was spotlessly clean and nicely appointed and spacious (I had a king-size). There was a flat screen television, a small but nice couch, and a nice-size desk. I don't recall seeing a microwave or refrigerator in the room so you probably have to ask to have one wheeled in. It is true the shower surround is older, obviously of a cheap quality, and yellowed which detracts from the appearance, but it didn't affect the quality of the shower. The complaint about the tepid water, however, from previous reviewers is correct - my shower water really never got hot enough to say it was "hot". Access to the internet was easy and I had good speed, etc. while I was there. I stayed on the seventh floor and did not notice any noise or food smells from the atrium at that level nor did I notice any hall or elevator noise and I was very close to the elevator. Other than the not-so-hot water, my only other complaints were a slippery bed coverlet that refused to stay on the bed and eventually just ended up staying on the floor and a slight tone of frustration from a check-in agent who was fighting with a cranky printer that wouldn't print out receipts. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 724 on the seventh floor and found it to be a quiet floor. I wouldn't exactly...
1 Thank Janet W
Dear Janet,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us.

I am glad that you found the room very clean and well appointed. I apologize that the water was not hot enough, and I will have my Chief Engineer investigate that this morning. We are in the process of adding 2 new Water Softeners, which will help keep the softeners from draining so much hot water. This project should be completed at the end of this week. We do periodically temp out the water to insure that it is between 119 and 124 degrees.

I did not know that the Duvet's were so slippery, and I can understand how they would end up slipping off the bed. I will ask the Executive Housekeeper for ideas on how to prevent that from sliding.

Thanks again for your great comments, and look forward to your next stay with us.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Staff at the hotel were friendly and professional, helpful too. Only concern was carpet by the restaurant as it was potentially a trip hazard. Stretching the carpet tight would solve this issue. Saw this same issue in hallways towards convention center and in convention center also. However, I was glad the pool/hot tub was open till midnight - a nice place to relax after a long day. And the rooms were quiet - you didn't hear the noise from people coming and going, and I was by the elevators! Location wasn't bad - close to the capitol and within driving distance for restaurants, etc. Nothing a gps or hotel staff can't point you too.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business