“Great with groups”

Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Topeka
Topeka, KS
“Great with groups”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We held our annual youth tour banquet at this venue. We had over 100 people there, most of them teens. The staff was great in setting up our registration area, having our rooms ready, and setting up everything for our banquet just as we had requested. The students and adults both very much enjoyed the Italian buffet we served for supper. Very professional staff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I had a hard time with this trip coming to the hotel. I have stayed here before, and it has always been wonderful. But this time I not only had to wait to get into my room, but when I was in my room it was lacking to say the least. Not stocked on anything (shampoo, soap etc) and the bed was poorly made.

I realized the restaurant was closing so I hightailed it down to the lounge where the bartender was very lovely and took my order promptly. She stayed and talked with me about all sorts of things. I must admit, I "vented" if you will, about my room and situation... Somehow I felt much better afterwards and she then suggested something light but delicious to eat, and I must say, I was going to write a poor review if it weren't for her wonderful customer service and attention to detail. I'm sure I will be returning. Thank you.

• Stayed May 2013
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I love odd designs...if they work...but this set-up had all the downsides and none of the upsides. The hotel rooms and food were fine (like when your wife says everything is "fine") but most of the rooms face a central courtyard zone that houses the bar and restaurant that amplifies the cacaphony of sounds and seemed to focus odd smells so that you would wake up dreaming that a turnip wrapped in sardines on fire was chasing you. Great service on check and and check-out was appreciated but felt like a Hail Mary Pass at that point.

Room Tip: Ask for one that faces south and not the "courtyard"...if there are any
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
CapitolPlazaGM, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Mr. Peter O,

Thank you for the comments regarding your stay with us. I apologize that the design of the building (atrium style hotel) did not suit your needs. We actually have an entire North Wing that does not face the Atrium. The South side rooms do face into the atrium. Mr. John Q. Hammons began designing this style of atrium hotel, to insure a safe and pleasing environment for his guests. The glass elevator and open hallways help to keep our guests safe and secure. I know that during busy times the restaurant smells can waft up at certain times of the day.

Thanks again for the comments, and if you decide to stay with us again, please ask for a room in the North Wing.

SIncerely,

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Nice place seems to be on newer side of things. Close to government buildings Downton. Only complaint - bed only had a bed sheet and bed spread - forcing you to use bed spread while sleeping. Bathroom clean with good water pressure. Room was quiet and spacious.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Roundfrog,

Thank you for the comments regarding your recent stay. I am so happy that you found our accomodations comfortable and our location convenient.

I apologize about your bed missing a sheet. That is obviously not the way our beds are supposed to be made, and I have addressed this with the Executive Housekeeper.

Thanks again, and we hope to see you soon.

Moundville
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We attended a dog show at the arena. The location of the hotel was excellent for our purpose. The room was clean, the beds very comfortable. Housekeeping staff couldn't have been more courteous. The front desk staff were not overly friendly or helpful, but they did their job. Saturday night my girls (both 12) and I went to the Waters Edge Lounge to get a bite to eat. We were the only people in the lounge and service was abysmal. The server took 5 minutes to acknowledge us. When she came to the table she tossed down one coaster asked what I would like to drink. I chose tea and she left to get it without a glance at the girls. When she came back 10 minutes later with the tea she asked the girls what they wanted to drink. When she brought their sodas she gave methe bill. I told her we wanted something to eat. She retrieved her order pad and took our order. One of the girls chose sliders without the accompanying pickle or dressing and my other girl chose sliders as well. When their order came both orders were plain. I called the server back to ask her to correct the order. We finally got the correct food, ate and hightailed it out of there. Just a dismal experience. We go to the Plaza Hotel twice a year for the dog shows and have always enjoyed ourselves. We won't go back to the lounge.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank janet n
Dear Janet N,

Thank you for the comments regarding your recent stay at the Capitol Plaza Hotel.

I am glad that our location of the hotel met your needs and that the room was clean and comfy.

I have had discussions with the Food and Beverage Manager regarding the service that day in the lounge. We take all comments very seriously, research and document our findings. Where we need re-training, we take the opportunity to insure that all of our Associates are re-trained, not just one. I believe that this issue will not happen to anyone again.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to write your comments, and hope to see you come back to us for another dog show. We just finished up with the Keeshonds!!! What a great group.

Thanks again,

Washingon, Kansas, United States
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed one night for a business meeting and found all services to be very good. The hotel is very well maintained and all staff nice and pleasant. The rooms were nice and my room was very quiet. The meeting rooms were nice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear RSchottel,

Thank you so much for your kind comments!

I hope to see you on your next stay.

We appreciate your continued business!!

Saint George, Kansas
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Attended an event at the arena. Couldn't have asked for better location. Hotel is well maintained. Only downside is it is a drive to any fast food restaurants or restaurants in general. There is an onsite bar & restaurant but pretty pricey. Also there is no free breakfast option that many other hotels offer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Cnn30,

Thank you for kind comments regarding your stay in May. I am glad that you enjoyed our location and comments about the hotel being well maintained. I am always looking to improve items here and we just completed our new LG 37" flat screens, new fitness center, HD Channels, and as of next week 100MB of bandwidth internet speed!!!

There are some great restaurants less than 2 miles away either downtown Topeka, or up Topeka Blvd. A Sonic fast food restaurant is almost directly behind the hotel and Expo center. We also have packages which include a complimentary breakfast.

Thanks again for your comments and hope to see you again soon.

Sincererly,