“Very nice and comfortable conference hotel”

Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Topeka
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Had a 3 day meeting this week here. Hotel seems very dated from outside but that seems to be the case with many downtown Topeka buildings, but upon entering the hotel is very clean, well maintained and nicely layed out. My room was on the top floor, view of convention center parking lot. Beds very comfortable, clean and nicely done. Spacious king room, great pillow selection and clean bathroom with nice towels. Few cosmetic blemishes here and there but nothing major. TV was easy although out of use one day when they were updating cable system, then all the channels changed numbers. Our meeting rooms were very nice and easily accessible. The food provided for our lunches and dinner was excellent. We were served breakfast in the restaurant and it was buffet, very good, nice selection. Service in restaurant was poor and slow in the morning and went without being served coffee while there so had to ask for take out cup at hostess which she provided (Starbucks) promptly and politely. Not thrilled about Topeka but this hotel is very nice and easily accessible to convention building next door. I would definitely stay here again for business or convention.

Room Tip: Pick room away from elevator as it does ring loudly on each floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
CapitolPlazaGM, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel, and appreciate the find detail in your review. I do apologize about the TV being out of service. We were upgrading our new 37" flat screens with new High Definition Channels. This did require a hardware changout and new programming to all TV's. I have also met with the Restaurant Supervisor and Food and Beverage Director regarding the service in the restaurant that morning. I am very sorry that this experience was not up to our normal level. I do hope that you enjoyed the Starbucks coffee and am happy that you would choose us again. We are working hard everyday to improve our guests experiences. Thanks for being candid with your review.

There are newer reviews for Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was here on business. When you pull in, it doesn't look like much, but inside was nice and well kept. It's an atrium style hotel, and the bar/restaurant is located on the first floor in the center. This makes it a little noisy at night when trying to sleep if a lot of people are being loud at the bar (I was on the 4th floor). The rooms are very nice and clean. Bed was comfortable. Toiletries were average- shampoo is a combo shampoo and conditioner (in case that's a problem for your hair, bring your own). Breakfast is a buffet- it was good but I was disappointed that the offerings were exactly the same both days. Variety would have been nice. They have Starbuck's there. The meeting rooms were nice.

• Stayed: March 2013

Thanks for your feedback regarding your stay with the Capitol Plaza Hotel. We try to insure that the lounge stays at a reasonable level, and we do have a "North Wing" where the lounge cannot be heard and the rooms are normally very quiet in this area.

I have discussed your feedback with the Director of Food and Beverage and he is looking into changing up one hot item daily per your suggestion.

Thanks again for taking the time to give such valuable feedback to us.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I had a comp night awarded due to a malfunction several months ago, and as I had business in Topeka on this trip, decided to use it. Same results: everything but the breakfast buffet was great. Buffet is overpriced and bland. But, you don't have to eat there. The room is just perfect.

1  Thank Dean S
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is a nice hotel and a value for the money. The only thing that I think is lacking is the fitness room. For the size of hotel it is only equipped with four machines and a set of weights. The equipment is relatively new. The room is somewhat small. Other than that, the atmosphere, the bed the room are all excellent!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
CapitolPlazaGM, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

Thank you for your comments. I apologize that the size of the fitness center did not meet your needs. We do have 2 state of the art Treadmills with TV Screens and Ipod inputs, 1 Elliptical with TV screen, 1 Bicycle with TV screen, and 2 full sets of dumbells from 5 to 50lbs. We also have a very nice Bench with incline feature. We also have a set of 3 yoga balls and a matt. Almost all of the equipment is only 2 months old, as the room was totally renovated in November of 2012. I have rarely seen more than 2-3 people using this equipment at any one time. I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel and the atmosphere.

Thanks again,

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Please don't stay at this Hotel, we knew something was wrong when we pulled in. The hotel was located right next to the gun show that we were going to and the parking wasn't even half full. The hotel and rooms were nice for the price. The staff however was incompetent and rude. The buffet the next morning was way over priced for the poor quality of food. Our F-250 was stole right out of the parking lot Saturday night, we later learned that's why no one stays there because gang land is located a few blocks away and things in that area get stolen all the time. When I told the hotel staff about our loss they acted like it never happens. Then I told them we had no were to put our luggage until someone could drive 2 hours to pick us up they said if we stayed past 2:00 pm we would have to pay for another night. We later ask them if they had security or camera's for the parking lot they responded that they only have security and camera's in the back parking lot for employee's cars.

Dear guest,

I apologize that you found the restaurant food "poor quality and overpriced". Our Sunday Brunch buffet is always very crowded and we normally only get rave reviews from hotel and community guests. Ask any local and they will tell you that our Omelette Chef is the best in town. The hotel is not located in "Gangland", and we rarely have security issues. Our security systems are continously being evaluated and upgraded to insure the safety of our guests and Associates. I do appreciate the comments regarding the nice hotel and rooms, and hope that you come back and have a pleasant stay.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The bed was excellent ,but someone needs to control the drunks, doors were slamming and the loud yelling and hollering . From midnight till 2AM no sleep on the 6th floor for us. I am not sure most of them were even staying at the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I apologize for the noise that you encountered on your last stay with us. We do have security that patrols the floors and is documented via an electronic system. I have let our Security Team know of this issue, and it will be addressed. I can only improve the hotel through good feedback from my guests and I once again thank you for your comments.

SIncerely,

Kevin Smith-GM

NEED SOME KIND OF SECURITY TO KEEP DRUNKS IN ORDER.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is not a motel, it's a full service hotel or is supposed to be. They need to work on that. Keep in mind that this was during the week of Christmas and the hotel had very few guests and a minimal staff.

Check-in was quick and trouble free (Saturday). No bellman service was offered or seen.

Hotel: Lobby, pool area, small gym were clean. Bar and restaurant are directly in the middle of the open lobby so they're easy to find.

Room: Instant inspection showed room looked clean but it did need some attention. All the way around the room where the carpet meets the wall (approximately 3 inches) was visibly dusty and in places had hair and small pieces of debris where the upright vacuum doesn't reach. Ditto in the closet and under the desk. Bathroom was clean but not stocked with coffee (which I had to get at the front desk), only had soap and no other amenities, had ample nice quality towels and bed linens. Bed was good quality, pillows were cheap fiber-filled lumps. Nice HDTV. Forced air heat and thermostat worked perfectly.

First morning (Sunday) I had only lukewarm water and it was uncomfortable to shower. Reported to front desk and it was taken care of when I had returned. No problem with hot water during the remainder of my stay. Second day bathroom had coffee, soap was restocked, used coffee mug replaced by one with a huge chunk of stuck on food which was more than visible (2 mugs are provided), no personal amenities appeared, towels replaced, and the bedding was pulled up and not much attention was given to that task. Room obviously not vacuumed. Third day (Monday), returned to room at 5:30 p.m. and room had not been made, the hotel looked like a ghost town with bar and restaurant closed. I reported the unmade room upon leaving and returned to room at 10:30 p.m. and towels had been placed on counter, sink and counter not wiped down, soap replaced, this time I got a bottle of shampoo, comforter pulled up on bedding and that's it. Fourth day (Tuesday-Christmas), returned and room was made up, bathroom was clean, I received some lotion, shampoo, new soaps. Both mugs were clean. Again, comforter pulled up and sheets not smoothed. Floor still not vacuumed but the maid also overlooked the tip left on the nightstand. It was always taken before. Checked out on Wednesday morning.

Although there were not enough guests to warrant keeping the bar open after Saturday night and the restaurant open after Sunday brunch (most were outsiders for the buffet), a notice of this would have been nice. A lot more attention should be placed upon room cleanliness. I paid the same for each night yet my sheets were not changed during my entire four night stay, the floors were not vacuumed, and not much detail was given to my room. This is a fairly large hotel for a city the size of Topeka. For my stay, I'm giving it 3 stars where it really only deserves 2 and a half but I do appreciate the fact they gave most of their staff the holiday off and I understand that plus the lack of guests had an impact. That was also reflected in the price I paid during the holiday.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo