“Nice Hotel - Great Location”

Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Topeka
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We had two rooms for two nights ... June 12 and 13 ... for a conference. The conference rate was $79 per night (plus tax) which seemed very appropriate. The rooms are typical of a 3 star hotel with comfortable pillow top beds. My only complaint with the beds was that the fitted sheet did not fit well ... the corners kept popping loose. We also had a problem with the shower being partially clogged and not draining quickly enough (water puddling up to your ankles) the first day. However, we brought it to their attention and they fixed it. We had no problems with it on the second day. Check in and out was quick and easy. The lobby area is very nice. Its location is perfect ... right next to the Kansas Expocentre (Topeka's arena). We were not attending an event there ... but if so, you could walk to it. It is also less than a mile from the Capitol building and downtown.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thank you for the nice comment. I have informed our linen vendor of the issue with the sheets popping off, and we switched to a product with deeper pockets. I am glad that you mentioned the slow draining tub and that my Engineering team repaired it quickly. I hope you come back to beautiful Topeka soon!

Reviewed June 4, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the past 10 years and continue to enjoy the Capital Plaza. I have read several comments about the hotel decor being out-dated. Some people interpret "out-dated" as "falling apart" or "unkept". While this hotel might not have all of the newest colors or furniture that follows the latest trends, the guest rooms and all common areas (lobby, restaurant, pool, fitness room, meeting rooms, etc.) are well-kept and cared for by the many dedicated staff members. The friendly staff, along with the nice hotel environment, make this a great place to stay! If there was one thing that I could change, it would be to have attendants that could assist in unloading the vehicle and helping get things to the guest room. All in all, this is a good place to stay while in town on business or for other events.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Wow, 10 years as a guest, that is amazing. I hope that you have seen at least a few improvements done over the last couple of years....ie; sliding doors on the East Entrance, less big trees in the atrium, modern plants and planters in the hotel, etc. We do work hard to improve the hotel, and have just ordered all new fitness center equipment including treadmills, recumbant bicycles, free weights, mirrors, etc. This area should be completed in the next 4-6 weeks, and we are excited to showcase this state of the art equipment to our guests.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

Loved the motel, itself! room was awesome, comfortable and clean. but when i got home, i found that the hotel had charged the wrong credit card with some unexplained charges. i will call their office on monday morning to see what this is about. but, if you stay here, beware and check your credit card account activity as soon as possible after checking out. i called them about this as soon as i got home (on a saturday night), but the woman who answered the phone informed me that nothing could be done until the accounting person came in on monday morning.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ren b
3sacrwd1987, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2012

Dear Guest,

I understand that you had this situation explained to you yesterday by my Front Office Manager when you called us. The card presented for incidentals was different than the card used at checkout. Anytime a card is presented to us to use for any potential charges, then a "hold" is placed on this card, which is released shortly after you check out. The timing of the release will also depend on your banks policy of holding charges. I hope that you feel comfortable that there were no "Questionable Charges" on your account. Please feel free to contact me with any further questions, or if I can be of any further assistance.

Kevin Smith-GM

Reviewed April 15, 2012

I spend a lot of time traveling and more time in Hotels. Though I have seen more up to date accommodations this hotel provides excellent customer service and clean rooms. The front desk staff are always smiling and friendly providing expedited check in so that I'm not standing around. The wait staff at the grill are exceptional and the food is good. The only thing I can say that this hotel needs are updated televisions in the rooms along with refrigerators. Outside of that I can't think of a better hotel to stay at while in the Capital of Kansas.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 10, 2012

For a hotel that is trying to be upscale, you would think that they would staff their restaurant with a a capable server. We had to send the cook to the backroom where our waitress was hiding out. and we ended up doing much of the set-up on our own. It took 25 minutes to get drinks - and we were the only ones in the place... on a Friday night.
The other problem was the fact that there were no breakfast items offered for guests, unless you wanted to pay $10 for the all-you-can eat buffet. I wrongly assumed that a hotel charging these prices would automatically include some sort of continental breakfast to grab on my way out. I won't make that mistake again.

Room Tip: The rooms are clean. That is about all I can add.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank taw93
3sacrwd1987, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Dear Guest, I apologize that your restaurant service was not a positive experience for you. We strive for great, memorable service, and it seems that this did not happen on this Friday night.

I also apologize that we do not offer a complimentary breakfast with all rates. We do offer packages which include breakfast, and can be very competitive, depending on what dates you are staying. We get many compliments on our full service buffet, and I am sorry that you did not partake in this. Thank you for your comments, they can only make us better. Sincerely, General Manager

Reviewed March 21, 2012

Myself and my coworker stay at the hotel quite often and the only way to explain it is that the staff at the hotel from the front desk to house keeping to the grill is wonderful. We have been there so much they know us by name and treat us like family. The only thing I could ask for is that they seed up their renovations and bring the hotel up to par. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I stayed in the Capital Plaza Hotel for the February Bar Exam. I really enjoyed my stay at the hotel. The service was good, the food was great, and the rooms were spacious enough for last minute studying. The bed was comfortable and the hotel was not loud at all. The staff was helpful in suggesting places to eat and things to see.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business