“Good Hotel, Helpful Staff, Great place to host an event.”

Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Topeka
Nashville, Tennessee
“Good Hotel, Helpful Staff, Great place to host an event.”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I recently sayed here on business with my company which was hosting an event here. The staff was very professional, and well manored. They were also very helpful with directions, and getting me where I needed to go with much ease. I loved the fact they have their own restaurant/ grille, and lounge in the evenings. It's nice after a long day of meetings to not have to leave. Great event space, lots of square feet, great potential for larger events and/or meetings. Beautiful ballrooms!! I laugh at the review, "OK for the 80's," because I did some research while here and the hotel didn't even open until 1998. lol. Anyhow. Nice hotel, great location, right next to the Expocentre, and within minutes of exploring some new attractions as well as the Capitol Building in downtown Topeka. P.S. the pictures on here must be from the winter, because they really do not do this hotel justice. It's very colorful, and nicely landscaped outside. Pretty fountains (inside & out), and another thing, the plants inside are real. Minus the ones in the boxes on the balconys, but really who, if anyone, would want to water plants on the 7th floor, could you imagine the mess of run off water that could create. Maybe it's just me but I thought it was a nice break from limited services, and the typical self service hotels we have seen. Some of the pics I'd seenon here before traveling almost scared me away, and almost made me worry, but are clearly just bad pictures from some cloudy wintery days. Good rating in my book. Suggest it for your next stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
3sacrwd1987, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience with the Capitol Plaza Hotel. I am so glad that you had a positive experience and I thank you for the kind comments.

I was hoping that you could let me know where you found the pictures that you had posted. These are obviously old and very outdated. We have changed our pictures over a few times since then, and I have actually never even seen the ones that you had posted. If you could let me know, I will have them changed on whatever site that you found them on. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention.

Kevin Smith-General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Jackie77
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The rooms are spacious but this hotel must be older. The bathroom was clean enough but older and the bathtub was stained. Water pressure left alot to be desired. I would not hesitate to stay here but look further if you want something special.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Kansas
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stay here for the 5A State Basketball Championships. The venue is right next door. Breakfast is awesome. Rooms are clean. If you are there for something at the ExpoCenter or Washburn. This is the place to stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your nice comments.

We have finally received notice that Hotels.com had repaired their website, and removed the "free breakfast" listing. We have honored this for those guests that were misinformed through Hotels.com and wanted to let you know that this is fixed now.

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention.

Kevin Smith-General Manager
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed July 19, 2011

No complaints. Breakfast was pretty good. Lots of space in the room and everything was clean. They did overbill me and i'm still trying to get that sorted out, but i think the issue may be on my company's end anyhow. Would stay here again if i'm back in Topeka for business.

G Man

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Good curb appeal and the lobby is old fashioned but okay. The rooms are dark dingy and depressing. Faded pictures, old drapes, old furnishings. Bed was comfortable. There is no coffee available in the lobby and the grille didn't have to go cups, everyone was going across the street to the gas station!!!! Pretty pathetic. The in room coffee was awful. There is one washer and one dryer in the laundry room and when we went in the one dryer had been removed for servicing. The "atrium" was actually a ton of old plastic plants stuck in old flower boxes on the balconies. For the money there would be many better places in town.

• Stayed July 2011
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We had a groupon for one night that included a bottle of house wine or two beers and two complimentary breakfast buffets. Check in was easy. The room was okay, but bugs appeared on our carpet while we were getting ready to go. The window on our fourth window room opened, but didn't have a screen, which seems a little dangerous. The breakfast was a standard buffet, fruit, cereal, oatmeal, pastries, biscuits and gravy and sausage. Our second night we reserved the bed and breakfast special online (an annoying feature that you could not get the online price when you called the hotel directly) and I'm guessing since it was a Sunday morning there was an omlet station and waffle maker and carved beef. The first two were good, didn't try the beef so I cannot review.
The pool was a decent size and indoors but not heated. It was 95 the day we got in so it was a nice temperature. The hot tub was broken.
Parking was decent and the location was safe.

• Stayed July 2011
Topeka, KS
Reviewed June 19, 2011

We very much enjoyed hosting our event at the Capitol Plaza. The room was set up as directed, the staff is incredible, and everything went very smoothly. The only reason why I didn't give the highest review was the fact that our hotel bathroom had a couple of water beetles. Other than that, it was great.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business