“You cannot be serious...”

Ramada Topeka Downtown Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Topeka
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We booked a New Year's Eve package for $250 touted as the greatest party in Topeka. We reserved a King bed but they put us in an apartment room. After what seemed to be a 30 minute walk through a labyrinth of hallways to our room, we were finally at our room. We have stayed at motels and hotels in the US and abroad. This was by far the most depressing hotel experience ever. No King bed....it was barely a full bed and only had one pillow. There was no trashcan in the room or bathroom. The "high-end" TV came with a sticky remote that was worn down. We called to the front desk for more pillows but had to go there to request it again.

Being a native Topekan, I was saddened for future travelers coming to stay here. The buffet food looked and tasted like it was scrapped out of a frozen TV dinner. Overall, this hotel is very outdated and just sad. We checked out by 9pm and continued our New Year's celebration at home.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aaron K
TopekaRamadaGM, General Manager at Ramada Topeka Downtown Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2014

Dear Aaron K,

While I’m happy that you choose to spend New Year’s Eve with us, I’m saddened to hear you were disappointed and left early. We had the biggest and best NYE event the city of Topeka has ever seen and had very few complaints so I apologize that you had a bad experience. I do know that Jared, our Marketing Director, contacted you regarding your issues and I trust he made things right. Thank you for your feedback.

Rodger Fry

Write a ReviewReviews (1,537)

Reviewed December 30, 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Olive W
TopekaRamadaGM, General Manager at Ramada Topeka Downtown Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I'm very impressed with this Ramada. I was greeted by a very friendly man upon check-in and he gave me a view room in the 11th floor tower which had been recently remodeled. This room was much better than on my last stay in April (and I was satisfied then).

I stayed during the Christmas week and it was pretty empty. The restaurant was closed because of the lack of guests but the bar was open and each time I passed, there was never more than one person at the bar. It was nice that they still kept it open which I'm sure was a money loser for them. The hot breakfast buffet was served daily and I went twice during my 4 nights there. The food was very good, hot, and one of the best hot free breakfasts for guests I've had at any hotel in the past few years. However, the total experience is enhanced by the guys that work there. Both Mike and Ted are very accommodating, friendly, have positive attitudes and are blessed with a great sense of humor. You can tell they both like people and their job. It's worth a trip to the breakfast buffet just to interact with them and have a laugh that early in the morning. Kudos to both of them and their hard work and personalities.

As stated in my earlier review, the hotel is spotless as was my room. The housekeeping staff does a great job and maintenance keeps this place in excellent condition. I would see security wandering the place in the evenings each time I returned or would go out. Even the elevators are fast.

I enjoyed my first stay and my original review stands, even the couple of minor negative things I mentioned in it. Overall, I give this hotel a 4 star rating and a 5 star for management. it's difficult to keep an older property in tip top shape and have a great staff. I'll be back. There is no comparison between this hotel and "the other one" close to downtown.

Room Tip: The tower is quieter and newer. I've stayed in the older part and tower, I liked the tower room...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank PugsRmine
TopekaRamadaGM, General Manager at Ramada Topeka Downtown Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Dear PugsRmine,

Thank you so much for staying with us again. I’m happy to hear our staff was friendly at check in and we were able to get you in a nice room in the tower. Our bar is open every day from 5pm-midnight, 365 days a year. Even when the Diner is closed because the hotel isn’t busy, the bar is always open and serving our full Diner menu. I’m glad you stopped in for a drink! I’ll share your comments with Mike and Ted and I know they will be happy to hear them. Thank you so much for such a nice review and positive feedback. We appreciate your loyalty to us when you are in Topeka!

Rodger Fry