We have stayed at this hotel three times now. Each time has been about the same. First the negative. The style and ammenities are extremely outdated. They are also a good bit shabby. Examples are, the old carpet, the walls are uneven from repair with old wallpaper, the paint in the elevator was amateur at best (lines showing) and the actual brass in them had not been polished in at least a year. There is dust on things that are not used much (plants, tops of pictures and entertainment stands, etc). The room did not have a flat-screen t.v. and there was no fan or heatlamp in the bathroom. It felt like the decor of the rooms and the atrium, excepting nice seats, was from the 1980s.
Ok, I know that is a lot, but here are the positives. The service, each and every time, has been absolutely stellar. They go above and beyond consistently, are always nice and engage the customer at most every opportunity. The FREE hot breakfast buffet is outstanding, though several times a machine was not working quite right or they were out of one thing or another. It still outshines almost every other hotel I've ever stayed at and also the Hampton Inn where I used to work. The workers there were also extremely kind and warm and kept everything tidy and running smoothly. The cleanliness of the hotel was good. Despite dust here and there, the sheets were clean and comfortable, the floors were well-kept and you could tell that corners were not, in general, cut. The pool was nice and heated and while fairly small and unadorned, has three waterfalls that my children really enjoyed.
As far as value, if I had to pay full price, I would not find it worthwhile. It is far too outdated and shabby to be worth $89.00 or more a night. However, I've used both Priceline and their weekly rate to lower the cost considerably and find the rate to be perfect with those discounts. The 'diner' in the hotel is largely overpriced for the quality of the food and easily bypassed by ordering in or driving a few minutes to a local food joint which is less expensive and generally better quality. I have no opinion of Uncle Bo's as I have not been inside it.
Overall, I give the hotel a 3 out of 5. If they focused on maintenence details better and updated the carpet, wallpaper and rooms, it would easily be a 5. That said, the excellent service, free breakfast and good discounts for an in general comfortable stay will keep me coming back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When traveling to Topeka or passing through Kansas, why stay anywhere else when you can stay at a national award winning hotel? The full service Ramada Topeka Downtown Hotel and Convention Center is a Back-to-Back national award winning hotel for Ramada Best of 2010 & 2011. The hotel is conveniently located on Interstate 70 making it a short 15 minute drive to anywhere in the city and only two blocks from the downtown financial district and state Capitol. On weekends, experience some of the best Live blues music in the nation at Uncle Bo's LIVE Blues bar featuring many Grammy nominated and award winning artists. You do your thing, leave the rest of us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Wyndham, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ramada Topeka Downtown Hotel and Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ramada Convention Center, Downtown Topeka Hotel Topeka
- Ramada Hotel Downtown Topeka
- Ramada Topeka
- Topeka Ramada