“Getting shabby”
Review of Relax Inn

Relax Inn
Ranked #30 of 33 Hotels in Topeka
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We have stayed at this Motel 6 several times over the last 12 years and it is showing its age. We have never had the dirty rooms others have commented on, but our recent stay started out bad. We arrived at 6:45 PM and already the lobby was closed and I had to stand in the door way, freezing while using the night-check-in window!!!! The numerous signs saying the police were keeping a close watch on the motel and would "investigate" without warning was new and disconcerting.

We also have to pay for internet at this location, which is just plain stupid, especially since it has to be paid for separately!!! Oh, no! can not pay for it along with the room. Extra, extra silly. I also had trouble using the internet, for about a half hour, every time I changed websites, I would have to sign in again. So after awhile, I tried calling the Helpdesk, but could not get through!!!!

This location has been very convenient for us, but we will think twice about staying here any more, especially if it continues to decline.

Room Tip: Stay in KC or Junction City, skip Topeka.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Clemrick
There are newer reviews for Relax Inn

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We checked into our room at about 4 and was refunded and checked out about 15 minutes later. When we got to our room it was clearly dirty. The bathroom toilet wasn't flushed. The shower looked dirty. The bedroom had crumbs on the chair and under the desk. The worst part was when we opened the fridge to put some water bottles in it, it was full of mold. We opened the microwave which was also full of mold. I called the front desk and asked for a new room. I was told that there were no other clean rooms available with two queen beds (seems to be a pretty common room, not sure why there were NO clean ones.) I was also told that the front desk person was the only one on staff and that there was nobody to come clean. We promptly got a refund and found a different hotel. Completely unprofessional and disgusting.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jake4102
Reviewed October 18, 2012

yes the rate is cheap, but thats because u get what u pay for.............. unprofessional, staff, very unkempt, no uniforms, looking like they just rolled out of bed, the housekeeping staff is poorly run, had many issues w/ room cleaning, keeping schedules, manager is imcompetent, he does not like anyone voicing their opinion, he'll just throw you out, guess the truth hurts.................. the rooms are ok lots of broken equip, tv with not all the channels, wifi is not reliable................. DO NOT STAY HERE.....................

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Dominick F
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I checked into this room after midnight completing highway construction. I got to my room and went to take a shower before going to bed. The toilet was full of feces. I tried to flush it and the toilet almost overflowed and would not flush. I called the font desk and the lady offered me a plunger. I complained about this and asked for another room. She stated that they did not have any other rooms available and I could check out and get my money back if I wanted. I got my bags and went down to check out. Suddenly, another room was available! Although this then resolved my problem, their staff did not handle this appropriately and were very rude!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank 304StefanieS
Reviewed August 21, 2012

While we had to stay in Topeka for a few days, I do question the decision to stay at the Motel 6. The host hotel for our event was overbooked, so once again I went to old reliable Motel 6. We were in Topeka for a Dog show and there aren't many hotels that allow dogs, Motel 6 is one of them that does. I made an early reservation, requested first floor. We got there early and were given a third floor room, which smelled so bad we refused it. They changed us to another third floor room. There is no elevator. There was "nothing" available on the first or second floor. Since everywhere else was booked or did not allow dogs, we were stuck. The rooms are old, the beds are old, the furniture is worn and old. The maid service came and remade our beds every day but that was all. I took out our trash and went to the desk daily to get fresh towels, once having to take down the used ones. It was a bit expensive for a Motel 6. The grounds were burned dry due to the drought and there were weeds and stickers. This was the 3rd time we have used this motel and it just never gets better, just more expensive. While we were there some cars (not ours) were broken into and things were stolen. The police were also there for an altercation (again not us). I can say, never again to this Motel 6.

Room Tip: As far as I can tell, there are no good rooms at this Motel 6.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank CecileT456
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Older Motel 6, I actually stayed here the first time I drove to Colorado in 1992. Carpet is newer; otherwise not much has been done. The air conditioning worked great, TV had lots of channels, but you had to pay $3 for internet. Good location, close to lots of restaurants, you can walk to Arby’s, and there are many other eating places within 1 mile. Bathroom was very old, looked like the floor had been laid down multiple times, but lots of counter space at the sink. Beds were OK, nothing special. I asked for a quiet room, but they put me in a 3rd floor room facing Wanamaker, luckily the air conditioning drowned out the road noise. The stairwell near the office is falling down and roped off, the others were OK, but are deteriorating with lots of rust. You can’t beat the price at $31.99, and they only charged 7.8% for tax when it should have been close to 15%. Not really a family motel, but I would probably stay here again if I was in Topeka or passing through. Price and location were very good.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank jjctraveler
Reviewed July 23, 2010

pros;
nice front desk staff
room was clean

cons:
kind of pricey for a motel 6 and for what you get.
having to pay 3 dollars for internet