“Better Quality than Others” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Topeka
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Better Quality than Others”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

After having gone to a couple of the hotels on Wanamaker, I thought I would try this one for a change. First, I immediately realized that this place is closer to the Expo Center. It's just down the road, so directions are literally straightforward. Another pleasant experience was the service. The front-desk clerk was very informative about surrounding attractions and helped with other directions. Lastly, even though rooms are of decent size (could be bigger) the beds were incredible.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

My hubby and our 15 lb dog stayed here on July 9th, 2010 while en route to Iowa from Texas. It was 1:30 a.m. and we wanted an inexpensive, but clean place to sleep for a few hours.

I would not have chosen this motel if we planned on staying any longer than we did. I agree with the other reviewers, the staff was very friendly, even at 1:30 a.m. The room was a bit dingy, but clean, which is the most important to me. Our dog could not stop sniffing the comforter (gross), but I'm sure it was no more dirty than other motels/hotels.

The breakfast selection was nice. Cereal, fresh fruit, bread for toast, pastries, sausage biscuits, waffles, etc... It was more than I expected. Overall, I tend to be picky about where we stay, but in this case we knew we'd be there less than 6 hours. I'd stay again in the same situation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

Four stars?

I use TripAdvisor like it's the Bible for traveling, but on this one, I think its reviewers got it wrong. And I think they got it wrong simply because it's a motel (and it is very much a MOTEL) that's been updated a bit on the inside, they didn't expect that, and the price was right. But make no mistake, this is still nothing more than a nice motel.

Consider the fact that I got a smoking room (and neither I nor my four year old daughter are smokers). Or the fact that it's clearly a home for quite a few migrant workers (and I'm talking about white migrant workers, lest anybody assume that I'm just a racist) who keep there doors open, drink a lot, and talk loudly. Or the fact that the pool desperately needs to be cleaned (I mean literally scrubbed) and repainted. No guys, this is no four star deal. It's a three at the very most.

Thing is, I've paid $55 for a hotel room before. Yeah, it's rare, but it's still possible and means that I can give this motel no more than three stars.

(that said, I will agree that the staff are very helpful and very nice.)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Timothy M
Carlsbad, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

I stayed for two nights and since the motel is very old and I was familiar with the location and needed to be in that basic location, I chose this motel out of necessity. I was pleasantly surprised that it was totally remodeled, my room was spotless, I could not hear my neighbors, everything worked, and even the breakfast was very good. The furnishings in my room were new although there was not a flat screen TV...yet. They even changed the sheets and towels daily rather than reuse them. All in all, I was pretty impressed that this place was in such good condition and well maintained. I also checked out the indoor pool and it was crystal clear. I would stay there again and most likely will.

Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

While scrolling through the numerous hotel search websites, I found that this motel was ranked high, and for a good reason it should be. I found myself trapped in a blizzard and felt the warm comfort that this motel had to offer during the chilly weather. The staff was very welcoming and they had beautiful christmas decorations in the lobby. The place looked elegant and i was hoping the room would be too. Sure enough I walked into a warm room with the temperature already set and found a nice flat screen tv for my viewing pleasure. The morning I had to say was the best. The breakfast room features my all time favorite of fresh waffles and sausage biscuits. I would have to say the next time I am in the Topeka area I am choosing the econo lodge again!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelerXpress
Mentor
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

We stayed in what appeared to be an older room in the one level older part of the complex. The room seemed clean with the exception of a stain on the bedspread. The parking lot was full of giant pickup trucks and SUVs and I felt like I was one of the only women staying there (must have been a gun show in town). The room was kinda dumpy, with electrical conduits on the walls and a power strip with 4 things plugged into it (fridge, TV, lamp, etc.). The countertop in the bath sink area was granite, which is nice in the right type of room, but in this room it looked out of place and was a waste of good granite. It was convenient to the highway, but it was a so-so part of town.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Sandusky, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

The good: hotel itself was okay. Old buildings, but updated rooms. Relatively clean, very nice flat screen TV and nice AC/heat unit. Clean sheets. $58/night so cheap.

The bad: Noise. Police sirens up and down at least 3 different times. Car alarm, yelling in pakring lot, could hear video game in room above me. Lots of loud trucks, cars up and down the main street. Some sketchy looking cars. AC unit made a weird vibrating noise periodically.

I wouldn't advise staying here, unless you can tolerate noise. The hotel and staff otherwise were decent considering the price.

• Stayed February 2009