“One of the worst hotels in Topeka” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Topeka
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“One of the worst hotels in Topeka”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

I had booked a room for one night at the Econo Lodge basing my decision on cost, photos, and reviews. However, once we arrived at the hotel, we found out what it was really like. The rooms all open to the outside and the "indoor pool" is located in a completely different building. The outside of the hotel was not clean and the breakfast area was tiny. We didn't even end up staying at the hotel that night because they gave us a key to a room that was already occupied. There are much better hotels in Topeka for about the same cost.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank redheaddragon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Cimarron, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

They bend over and beyond to help any way thay can. They always have the rooms that we need for are large group every year and if we need more rooms they seem to get them for us.

• Stayed March 2011
Augusta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

I was very skeptical about this place until I got there and saw the room. I must say I was quite surprised at the condition of the room It was better than I expected and really clean and comfortable. I was not really happy at first because the first room I looked at was ok but not really to my likeing, I asked for another room and without hesitation, I was very impressed with how the gentleman handle everything and was so courteous and kind. I don't remember his name but thanks so much for all your help and I would recommend my family and friends to stay there if they are in the area.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

After having gone to a couple of the hotels on Wanamaker, I thought I would try this one for a change. First, I immediately realized that this place is closer to the Expo Center. It's just down the road, so directions are literally straightforward. Another pleasant experience was the service. The front-desk clerk was very informative about surrounding attractions and helped with other directions. Lastly, even though rooms are of decent size (could be bigger) the beds were incredible.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

My hubby and our 15 lb dog stayed here on July 9th, 2010 while en route to Iowa from Texas. It was 1:30 a.m. and we wanted an inexpensive, but clean place to sleep for a few hours.

I would not have chosen this motel if we planned on staying any longer than we did. I agree with the other reviewers, the staff was very friendly, even at 1:30 a.m. The room was a bit dingy, but clean, which is the most important to me. Our dog could not stop sniffing the comforter (gross), but I'm sure it was no more dirty than other motels/hotels.

The breakfast selection was nice. Cereal, fresh fruit, bread for toast, pastries, sausage biscuits, waffles, etc... It was more than I expected. Overall, I tend to be picky about where we stay, but in this case we knew we'd be there less than 6 hours. I'd stay again in the same situation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

Four stars?

I use TripAdvisor like it's the Bible for traveling, but on this one, I think its reviewers got it wrong. And I think they got it wrong simply because it's a motel (and it is very much a MOTEL) that's been updated a bit on the inside, they didn't expect that, and the price was right. But make no mistake, this is still nothing more than a nice motel.

Consider the fact that I got a smoking room (and neither I nor my four year old daughter are smokers). Or the fact that it's clearly a home for quite a few migrant workers (and I'm talking about white migrant workers, lest anybody assume that I'm just a racist) who keep there doors open, drink a lot, and talk loudly. Or the fact that the pool desperately needs to be cleaned (I mean literally scrubbed) and repainted. No guys, this is no four star deal. It's a three at the very most.

Thing is, I've paid $55 for a hotel room before. Yeah, it's rare, but it's still possible and means that I can give this motel no more than three stars.

(that said, I will agree that the staff are very helpful and very nice.)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Timothy M
Carlsbad, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

I stayed for two nights and since the motel is very old and I was familiar with the location and needed to be in that basic location, I chose this motel out of necessity. I was pleasantly surprised that it was totally remodeled, my room was spotless, I could not hear my neighbors, everything worked, and even the breakfast was very good. The furnishings in my room were new although there was not a flat screen TV...yet. They even changed the sheets and towels daily rather than reuse them. All in all, I was pretty impressed that this place was in such good condition and well maintained. I also checked out the indoor pool and it was crystal clear. I would stay there again and most likely will.

Stayed April 2010, traveled solo