“Practical solution”

Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Topeka
Kansas City, Missouri
“Practical solution”
Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

Fairly new but already a bit worn looking. The suites are larger than at Extended stays but smaller than higher end places like Marriott. No wifi so you need a cord. Kitchen has stove which is a plus as well as fridge etc. Most people here are building contractors and long term residents. It seems safe but sometimes it's a bit noisy and I wouldn't say it's necessarily family oriented. Police seem to pass by a lot but I didn't really see any trouble.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank CiaranJohn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Greymouth
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Rhondda - New Zealand.
We found this to be a reasonably priced long term motel, in a good location and very clean. The office staff were friendly and helpful. It was good having a fridge, microwave and cook top, We are from NZ where almost all motels have these. We stayed in a few motels in the U.S. in very hot temperatures and were very dissappointed to find that there was no fridge.
Okay the office closes at 6 pm at night, (but for a weekly cost of around $230 depending on the type of unit one rents) this probably allows the management able to keep the prices low.
Most decent motels cost $85 per night which makes a weekly cost of $595!!
Good cheap, clean accomodation, we will visit again!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rhondda V
Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I won’t be checking in for another week; however, that has not stopped the AWESOME service we have received from Marcie, the manager! She spoke with my wife several times and was given so much information. She has been so accommodating and friendly! You can tell she loves her job and provides the greatest customer service! I can’t wait to check in!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank KWaters19
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 11, 2012

We got locked out of our room (on top of everything else tha's wrong with this place - won't fit in the space provided.) There is no one on the weekend. We were just screwed. We called all the #'s and no one came to help us even though there is an emergency #. RUDE, RUDE, RUDE! Then THEY decided we weren't welcome in the motel. When she came the next day at my request to check the lock, she left after she changed the battery and didn't check it, and so I checked it and was locked out again. Very rude!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank nanci n

Travelers are raving about these Topeka hotels

topeka
Reviewed October 18, 2010

I would not advise to stay at the Value Place Topeka. The office closes at 6 so if you are here working and work past that then it is really inconvenient to speak with someone if you are having any problems or to pay your rent. I worked until 5 and had to rush back each day that rent was due to a long line of people trying to pay before the office closed at 6. Also, the keys are extremely sensitive, there is no telling how many times I had to get a new key because mine was deactivated.
The staff was less than friendly, if you lock yourself out of your room after 6 then they are rude when they have to get you another key and they charge you 10$ after the first time. The walls are paper thin so you can hear people's conversation right in the next room. The water pressure in the shower is very weak. They only clean every 2 weeks and when this happens it is just new towels and linens, they do not vacuum or clean the bathroom.
This was pretty much a disapointing experience that when you are away from home does not help.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank bballgale
topeka kansas
Reviewed August 18, 2010

We've been here for a month waiting for the closing on our house and it has bee wonderful. The staff was friendly and full of smiles and answered every question my kids threw at them. the rooms we're very clean didn't smell of previous guests who cooked in the room. I wish though the internet was stonger though. Each night around nine oclock our signal wouild fade and it would get real slow. The manager got us local information on the school y kids would be sttending and even got us a school supplies list. I got the impression that the entire crew was new to this hotel and they were excellent.My kids wished for a pool and a park to be a little closer but it was a great deal.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank steveegreen
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 10, 2010

I travel extensively and have stayed at Value Place many times. It's very basic accomodations but usually in a good area. The full kitchen is nice.

The location is nice. The mall, Target, Wal-mart and a number of restaurants are only a few blocks away.

I had a few problems while staying here. An internet connection will cost you 10 dollars a week and it's pathetic, like using dial-up only worse. You'll need an ethernet cable and if you don't have one, don't bother.

My room was on the end of the building but the door was broken and would not accept a key card so I had to walk to the front of the property. I could not get my key to work one night and was locked out and could not call anyone since the phone in lobby was broken.

I used the laundry once. One of the washers and a dryer was out of order and the one I used shrieked like a banshee when I started it. You could hear it at the end of the hall. No one complained so I just let it run.

Overall, it's a decent place. They just need to hire a maintenance man.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business