“Taking it beyond the mattress......”

Residence Inn Topeka
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Topeka
Columbia, Missouri
“Taking it beyond the mattress......”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The one thing I like about Marriott is consistency of brand and lately, it seems that hotel standards have just been lacking. My husband holds Silver Elite status with Marriott, so we are familiar with the brand and the minor hotels associated with this chain. This property unfortunately doesn't quite live up to the Marriott standards.

The main property itself was clean and within acceptable limits and staff were helpful and responsive to our requests. The property itself has been updated, but there are still much needed areas of improvement. It was an interesting mix of old and dated vs. modern updates, but the overall feel of the room would have been acceptable had it not been for the mattress.

First, let me say that I am a bit obsessive when it comes to hotel bed linens, mattresses, pillows and anything that looks like it might harbor bed bugs or other hygiene issues. I usually will pull the mattress back from the head board and lift it up from the box spring to inspect for any problems. I always inspect under the bedskirt and toss off any bedspreads, decorative pillows and/or blankets that serve no purpose other than to improve the "look" of the room. I also, will lift up mattress covers to physically inspect the mattress.

What I found on this mattress was unacceptable by any standards of cleanliness and certainly not anything a person would sleep on. At the head of the bed, concealed under a clean mattress cover was a brown stain at least 2 1/2 feet in diameter that looked like a person had been murdered there. I am not exaggerating the size of this stain. While it looked like someone had made a concerted attempt to clean the mattress, I cannot imagine housekeeping would permit or allow such a thing to go unnoticed. The dark brown stain was clearly washed out in places, with what looked like might have been an attempt to use bleach. I am hoping that it was simply a red wine stain, but still one cannot help but be unnerved by such a stain.

Management was quick, decisive, and responsive. I took a picture of the stain and showed it to the General Manager, who assured me that the mattress would be removed from the property by noon that day. I certainly hope that it would be. We were comped additional Marriott points, but that didn't exactly instill a sense of confidence in Marriott's standards.

Previous reviewers have cited several other issues with this property, so I will not provide further commentary other than to say that I agree with many of their complaints and issues. The only other complaints I had, were minor compared to the mattress. There was one single hair located on a half empty bottle of shampoo, that I swear housekeeping simply moved from the shower back to the customary position next to the sink. The toiletries are provided by Paul Mitchell and either Paul Mitchell is filling the bottles up half-way or housekeeping is cutting corners. Either way, such a minor thing leaves even the most loyal of Marriott customers wondering what they are going to do next.

Room Tip: Handicap rooms are bigger, but the closet is lower and if you have long clothes then expect them to...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank alskx3
TopekaRI_GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Topeka, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. I apologize we did not provide you with the expereince you expected while stay here at the Residence Inn. I want to assure you that guest satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us and these issues are being addressed. We hope you will try the Residence Inn again the next time you stay in the area.

Wesley Halsey
Topeka Residence Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Initially the room looked great but upon closer inspection the room was not clean. The bed sheets were dirty and the bathroom was not very clean.

I could hear another hotel guest snoring in a different room which made it very hard for me to sleep.

I only stayed for one night. Had my stay been longer I would have moved to a different hotel in the Topeka area.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank nubi78
TopekaRI_GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Topeka, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
I want to thank you for your feedback. I apologize you had a negative experience at our hotel. We value all of our guests' feedback and use it to evaluate what can be done to improve our hotel as well as our staff. I want to assure you that all of these issues have been addressed. We hope, with continued efforts, to improve every stay for our guests. Once again thank you for your feedback about our hotel.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 7, 2011

Sorry to say that our stay was not the best. While the room as nice and suited our needs, the appliances are very low grade and all needed repair except the fridge and the microwave. We asked for towels to be delivered and after a long wait, finally went down to the desk to get them. Breakfast service was inadequate and the food ran low or key items were not available each of the meals we ate there.
And if you are assigned an odd number for your room, your window will face the highway - a tad noisy!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank IndoorCamper
Bangalore
Reviewed June 21, 2011

This is a great place to be in with family. They have breakfast available and free internet facility. They have a parking lot available for the guests. The service is also good with additional benefit of availability of swimming pool.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank singlaricky
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed October 18, 2010

I stayed with my family and the hotel was great. The pool was in great shape and the waffle bar my little ones loved. The room had two different bedrooms and a lot of space. The staff was second to none.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank butterflygirl34
Chicago suburbs
Reviewed September 4, 2010

Stopped here with our kids and needed a suite which was quoted at $185. Ouch. I called the hotel directly and asked for a better rate and was given $96 which is more in line with the quality of this place.

The maintenance is awful. We were given a room that had an extremely poor fiberglass patch job in the bathtub that could cut your feet. Basically, the room should have been shut down until they could have replaced the tub. We brought in our luggage and our kids told us there was a fake frog in the fireplace. It ended up being a real frog. There was a thunderstorm and I realize it may have been blown in from up above, but I would have least thought that there would have been someone on staff who could have removed it. I went to the front desk and they graciously gave us a new room.

The new room was extremely hot and I gave it an hour before I went back to the front desk again. The lady there was very nice and had no problem giving us a THIRD room! We would have stayed in room one if a maintenance person could have removed the frog and would have stayed in room two if they simply could have replaced the a/c filter that kept it from blowing out much air.

Anyway, room three looked like the sheets hadn't been washed so we removed the sheets from room two and went to bed. We lost 2 hours with all of these problems. It appears from our 'tour' of the rooms that some rooms have been upgraded while others are dated. Lots of dings and scratches that normally would be touched up in a hotel of this class.

Breakfast was alright, though not as nice as other Residence Inn properties we stayed at. Front desk personel was friendly, but frankly, a little lazy.

We had a dead car battery the next day and they looked all over for jumper cables that they were suppose to have. I don't blame them, but another indication of not being up to speed with the amenities of most RI's and for some reason rarely having a maintenence person working. The maintenance guy came in as we were eating breakfast and he spent about 20 minutes talking to the front desk staff. We certainly were aware of maintenance needs that he should have been tending to.

There's no way that a suite at this place should be quoted at $185 for a suite. Big city prices and small town service and maintenance.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank yousah
Charleston SC
Reviewed August 8, 2010

It seems all the Residence Inn's I have been staying at latley have just been average to below average especially for a Marriott. I again was disappointed in this one, nothing specific, just not up to par for Marriott

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends