“An EXCELLENT second life for a historic apartment building!”

Senate Luxury Suites
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Topeka
St Louis, Missouri
“An EXCELLENT second life for a historic apartment building!”
Reviewed November 12, 2010

After its useful life as an apartment building, someone with vision realized that an attractive, well built, well located building (close to the capitol building and state office buildings) could have a second life as a hotel.
Built during the 1920s when "Tudor" architecture was in fashion it serves visitors to Topeka very well.
It offers a variety of attractive rooms, including a very reasonably priced two bedroom suite. It was completely clean and the bed very comfortable. Breakfast was more than adequate and the beverage upon arrival was welcomed. The enclosed balcony was a treat.
The staff were personable, helpful and friendly.
I will make this my hotel of choice in whenever I return to Topeka!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Travel-4-the-fun-of-
kbadenoch, General Manager at Senate Luxury Suites, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Dear Travel-4-the-fun-of-
Thank you for your review! We strive to be the best lodging experience in Topeka. We look forward to your next stay with us!
Warmest Regards,
Kate Badenoch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Coral Gables, Florida
Reviewed October 25, 2010

If you want your hotel to be next to Cracker Barrel, Wendy's, Chili's or every other chain under the sun, this is not the place for you. ALSO, if you're looking for Ritz-level amenities, you're going to be disappointed. Senate Luxury Suites was built in 1928 and is located 2 blocks from the State Capitol and is as luxurious as you're going to get in Topeka, so adjust your expectations accordingly. Having said that, it's a nice property! The building is beautiful, the rooms are well-appointed and the staff is friendly. If the Senate Suites were an aunt, it'd be the one who wears vintage Chanel and always brings you unusual trinkets from her travels.
The suites all have balconies and mine had a kitchen and bedroom besides. It was clean and comfortable and the flat-screen TVs were brand new. When local friends came by for a pre-dinner cocktail, they were shocked at how lovely the building and my suite was. They called it "Topeka's best-kept secret."
The downstairs bar was not open for my stay, but I didn't really care. They also had laundry facilities and a pool table on the basement level that I didn't take advantage of.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
5 Thank MoxyFem
Dear MoxyFem,
Thank you for your review back in October. I am really glad you took photos of your room and were pleased with your stay! I really like thinking of us as the Aunt who wears vintage Chanel and brings friends and family unusual trinkets from her travels. We hope you stay with us on your next trip to Topeka!
Kindest Regards,
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 13, 2010

I could write about the stale smell that overpowered my senses from the moment I walked in the door, or the "bed" that clearly had not been replaced since the Eisenhower admin, or even the lousy neighborhood. But instead, I'll just report on the dead roach in middle of the floor. Need I say more?

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
kbadenoch, Manager at Senate Luxury Suites, responded to this review, October 28, 2010
Dear Candidfeedback,

I am so sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your recent experience at The Senate Suites. We are in the midst of a complete renovation of our building to improve the facility for our guests. We recently installed Tempur-Pedic Cloud Supreme mattresses in some suites and top of the line Sealy Posturepedic plush mattresses in the rest of the rooms. We are installing flat panel TVs in every room, and also have upgraded the bedding and towels to top quality standards. I am speechless when I hear a dead bug was in your room- this is the first time I had heard anything like this at our hotel. Our pest control company makes routine visits to the hotel to prevent things like this from happening. With a balcony in each room, there is a possibility for bugs to enter if people come and go from their balcony, but the extermination service does a good job of taking care of any pests that might try to enter. I have called them and advised them of your experience. I regret that we were not advised of this issue while you were at the hotel so that we could have made things right before you left. I hope you will try us out again when we have completed our renovations.

Warmest Regards,

The Senate Luxury Suites
900 SW Tyler St
Topeka, KS 66612
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed September 30, 2010

We found this gem when our soccer team booked it for a tournament. Now, it's the only place we will stay. It has an old world charm that is hard to beat. The prices are reasonable, and you are walking distance from a wonderful restaurant. Most of the traffic is on the west side of town which is nice. If you are looking for a suite that normally runs $300.00 per night, this one is not as nice. However, if you like old world charm, this hotel is hard to beat.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank eschatology39143
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Due to the proximity to the capitol building (gorgeous!), my company booked me a room for a night in the senate luxury suites. Maybe in the 20's this place was luxurious, however, it's 2010; I don't think there's anything that can be done to categorize this place as 'luxury.' That said, the architecture is amazing - very unique. The room was quiet, very dark at night, climate controlled rooms (the AC works well), the bathroom was nice (3 out of 5), the breakfast was AWESOME! But, I get overly excited for 'free' meals. Staff was very helpful and competent. The neighborhood isn't the best, however, it's downtown Topeka, I didn't expect much.

Again, great stay, would recommend to all!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Lonleymale
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 6, 2010

Sara greeted us when we checked in and made us feel welcome. It was over 100 degrees and the room was cool. The AC worked great . In fact we had to turn it down.
We did not have a coffepot in our room and within 10 minutes of asking Sara came with china coffee cups, glasses, ice bucket and a large coffee pot.
The hotel was completely booked and after 10 PM we could not hear any noise or the bar downstairs.
The bath gel, shampoo, bar soap, and lotion were organic products from the UK. The scent was soft and clean. The water pressure when showering was strong and stayed hot. There was not the usual hot/cold combination or the little stream of water that does not take the shampoo out of your hair.
Please remember the building use to be an apartment built in the 1920's. The architeture is a real gem. I loved the bronze statues, and all the curved doorways. I also liked the view of the Capitol Building.
Our room opened to our balcony via French Doors.
We had a giant flat screen TV and a comfortable bed. The overstuffed chairs were done in the style of the 1920's.
Breakfast was served on white linen table cloths over round tables. There was lots of room. Breakfast consisted of juices, cereals, melons, oranges, apples, muffins, waffels, variety of cereals and assorted bagels and breads. I have one complaint: I wish the coffee was strong and bold.
We did notice the nice bar downstairs but did not visit . We wanted to stay in our room for the three day stay but had business to do and relatives to visit in the hospital.
We go to Topeka every 6 weeks. We have stayed in many of the hotels in town and this is by far our favorite.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank engineer123
Onaga, Kansas
Reviewed May 17, 2010

Our kids paid for a room @ the Senate Suites for my husband and my wedding anniversary. The outside looked great and charming. The inside was clean and cozy. The suites were spacious. The hotel info said the hotel had a lounge that was open until 10pm on Friday nights. My hubby & I were looking forward to relaxing over a cocktail after dinner. Got back to the hotel @ 8pm and the lounge was closed due to no guests. We were a little irritated over this.
I asked if the hotel had coffee creamer (french vanilla, Irish cream) and they were out. :( We took our dessert from dinner to our suite which had a kitchenette...no silverware. :(
There were no towels in the kitchen. :(
The suite did come with a full size coffee pot though. :)
The televisions were old and the TV in the living room had speaker problems. One of the 2 speakers would go on and off frequently. :(
There were only 2 sets of towels in the bathroom. :( I did ask for more towels and did get them with no problem.
The suite lighting was awful...very dark. :(
The internet (wireless) would not work very well...kept turning off. :(
The parking is across the street and the hotel is not in the best area of Topeka.
All in all we would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple