“best in city”

Ranked #1 of 411 Restaurants in Topeka
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Steps from the Kansas State Capitol Grounds, the once dilapidated historic site at 515 Van Buren St. was transformed by Owner and Chef, Greg Fox, into a fine dining venue. Greg is a native Kansan who is inspired by his roots. He draws from being raised in a family of cooks and bakers—along with his culinary experience in New York City and Nashville—to bring something unexpected, yet familiar, to the table. He and the RowHouse crew serve up dishes made with equal measures of love and finesse—and you can taste it. The Evening prix-fixe "tasting" menu is seasonally driven and changes weekly, it's also available a la carte and able to be tailored around your time and budget. Many of the menu items are made with local ingredients—often from the RowHouse garden. RowHouse strives to create a welcoming experience that cherishes its history and deliciously evolves. We invite you to join us! Beginning November of 2017, RowHouse introduces Lunch, Monday Thru Friday, Seating anytime after 1
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

multi-course chef's tasting menu is well worth it. adequate portion size in small plate format. Exceptional flavors, very unique preparations. Menu changes at least seasonally, if not more often. 3 story old rowhouse, hence the name, steep stairs to 3rd floor may not be good for older folks. Quiet atmosphere. Excellent service by staff who know the dishes very well.
A real gem in a city known for fast food franchises and little else.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (211)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I took my wife here for our 24th wedding anniversary dinner. We have never eaten here before, but heard lots of good things about the restaurant. When I made my reservation, over the phone, I explained we were celebrating our anniversary and requested to be sat in the outside garden section, weather permitting. When my wife and I arrived, we received a friendly greeting and were escorted through the restaurant to the garden area. You actually walk through the kitchen, to get to this area. It was nice, because we got a sneak peak of the wonderful food that was to come. After being sat at our table, which was perfectly situated next to a lovely gurgling fountain. The menu on the table was stamped with Happy Anniversary. Our waitress came over and asked if we had ever dinned with them before. When we said no, she explained our options. The Row House has a chefs menu option, which we chose. When you chose this option, you get a small portion of every item on the menu. I guess I should explain that the menu here changes weekly and is filled with wonderful fresh options. There was a salad and soup followed by the vegetarian entree. Then both protein options came out plated together. The desert plate had three different deserts. My wife enjoyed a couple cocktails with dinner. I opted for one cocktail and a couple different half glasses of wine with my protein courses. This truly was a dinning experience. Our reservation was for 6:30 and we didn’t finish dinner until 8:45. I can’t say enough good things about this restaurant. We will definitely be back.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed September 3, 2019 via mobile

Perfect for a special occasion but makes any occasion special! The menu changes weekly and it is always fresh and delightful! With an emphasis on locally sourced and fresh ingredients the food will feed your belly as well as your soul. And the service is unmatched. Even if the occasion isn’t special you will certainly feel special!

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed July 25, 2019 via mobile

The Row House is, without a doubt, the most creative, most unique and most interesting restaurant I've experienced.
EVERY TIME I'm in Topeka I make sure to make a reservation here. I've driven 2 1/2 hours just to celebrate Valentine's day here and it was worth EVERY MINUTE.
The menu is NEVER the same. EVER. Which is sometimes a bad thing if you find things you absolutely love. Because he will never make it again.
On the plus side, there's something new every time you go that makes your taste buds come alive!!!!
Not only is the food outstanding and delicious the ambiance is unique and cool as well.
You're eating in a REAL row house. So it's comfy, cozy and very fun. Be sure to go early so you can experience sitting in the bar in the basement. That, in itself, is a very unique experience.
This is more than just a restaurant, it's a total experience.
This is a MUST DO!!!!

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed July 3, 2019 via mobile

When you have dinner at the Row House not only is the Food Amazing, the presentation, the experience and the service leave you in awe. Absolutely one of the best restaurants I have been to.

Date of visit: June 2019