“If you're in the area, don't miss this!”

Brown v. Board of Education National Historic Site
Ranked #4 of 56 things to do in Topeka
More attraction details
Owner description: The Monroe Elementary School, one of the segregated schools involved in the 1954 Supreme Court decision aimed at ending segregation in public schools, is now a National Historic Site commemorating this landmark ruling.
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This site has taken a difficult time in the nation's history and turned it into an excellent teaching/learning facility. The displays are really interesting and many can be explored in different ways allowing for different levels of interest in any one aspect of the exhibits. There is much of the other history of the civil rights era presented as well. Whether born in this country or not, a better understanding of this piece of American history is available at this site.

1  Thank janetpackard

Reviewed December 26, 2012

The National Park Service operates this historic site. It is in the former Monroe Elementary School that was one of four segregated elementary schools for African American children. I had no idea of what to expect. But I knew I wanted to make time to visit here. It is not far from the capitol, but not really walking distance. There is free parking right in front. I highly recommend visiting this site before you visit the capitol. Then when you get to the capitol and they mention Brown v Board of Education, you will already have some good knowledge of it.

When you come in the entrance doors you will see two signs over head. One for colored and one for white. That is how it used to be. We were greeted by a park service employee who explained about this site. She showed us to the auditorium that had a film that was outstanding. It was shown in different parts. We stayed for the whole thing and learned things that we did not know before. It showed how far we have come, but at times it seems like we are going backwards. Then you can visit the Education and Justice exhibit & The Legacy of Brown v Board of Education gallery.

Learning about our history is so important so we don't keep making the same mistakes. The Brown V Board of Education decision was so important to the civil rights of all of us.

On our 3 week road trip this was one of the highlights. A place I will never forget.

There is not fee for visiting here. Donations are accepted however.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

I do not know what I expected, but I certainly found more than I thought I would.

A simple school building that held so much information on civil rights and in many ways the shaping of our nation. I cannot think of a place that I've been that contained so much information on how our nation changed during this time and the people that shaped it.

Be prepared to read if you should visit. It is not a site that offers a great deal to see, but a great deal to be gained with a little time spent reading the many displays.

Not a must see for me, but not a bad stop as one journeys into Kansas.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

It was powerful and informational. The videos of riots and other information from the era of segregation were extremely interesting. The fact that you are in an old school is interesting. The video playing in the auditorium is a little boring, and the whole exhibit is a tad small. But, overall, it was a great experience and enjoyable.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is a very intersting museum in the old school. We learned a lot here. Allow about an hour or so. The National Park Service always seems to do an excellent job.

1  Thank RKAustin