“More than expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Brown v. Board of Education National Historic Site

Brown v. Board of Education National Historic Site
Ranked #4 of 43 things to do in Topeka
More attraction details
Owner description: The Monroe Elementary School, one of the segregated schools involved in the 1954 Supreme Court decision aimed at ending segregation in public schools, is now a National Historic Site commemorating this landmark ruling.
Bonney Lake, Washington
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“More than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I do not know what I expected, but I certainly found more than I thought I would.

A simple school building that held so much information on civil rights and in many ways the shaping of our nation. I cannot think of a place that I've been that contained so much information on how our nation changed during this time and the people that shaped it.

Be prepared to read if you should visit. It is not a site that offers a great deal to see, but a great deal to be gained with a little time spent reading the many displays.

Not a must see for me, but not a bad stop as one journeys into Kansas.

Visited August 2012

Fairbury, Nebraska
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

It was powerful and informational. The videos of riots and other information from the era of segregation were extremely interesting. The fact that you are in an old school is interesting. The video playing in the auditorium is a little boring, and the whole exhibit is a tad small. But, overall, it was a great experience and enjoyable.

Visited November 2012
Austin, Texas
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“Don't pass this up”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is a very intersting museum in the old school. We learned a lot here. Allow about an hour or so. The National Park Service always seems to do an excellent job.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank RKAustin
Chapala, Mexico
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 240 helpful votes
“Moving civil rights exhibit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We are educators and THOUGHT that we knew a lot about this case, but we learned a lot more. This free exhibit is interesting for both adults and chldren and leads to further discussion on civil rights. There is a 1/2 hour film and the rest of the visit takes about 40 minutes. Free parking. Open every day.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Barbara W
San Francisco, California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“History...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Loved this museum/school. Another free museum, which is always a plus. When you first get there, you are guided to a short 30 minute film about the civil rights movement. Then you go into different rooms where there are loads of information about the civil rights movement. I wish they had a bigger gift shop, I really wanted to purchase something while I was there but the gift shop is really small with little selection. Besides that, it was great. I love how they turned the school into a museum. Neat idea.

Visited August 2012