“Two one-night stays”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tupelo
Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in Tupelo
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Stayed at this HIEx going to and coming from Branson, MO. Positives include VERY comfortable king bed, totally non-smoking/no pets hotel, friendly/helpful staff, refrig and microwave in room, and good location. We also got a very good discount using Priceline. The first night was a bit noisy because we were in the last room on the hall, next to the stairs, and the door going outside. The people in the room next to ours and across the hall were traveling together and continually went from one room to the other for about 3 hrs and let their doors slam shut with each entry/exit. Those using the stairwell and outside doors let those doors slam all evening and the next morning, too. We also heard a lot of talking in the hall. On our return trip, we asked for an upstairs room away from the stairwell and elevator and had a much more peaceful evening.

The breakfast gravy tasted a bit weird, but there was a fairly good selection of others items to choose from.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the stairs and elevator and on an upper floor.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 23, 2011

Stayed one night with my wife on our "Elvis Tour" vacation. Very clean,quiet and professional staff. If I was blind and was taken to this hotel, I could tell, I was in an Holiday Inn!
The road to the property was hard to spot and missed it a couple of times.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2011

My husband and I had to go to Tupelo for the wedding of friends. I chose this property because I am an IHG Priority Club Platinum member and the hotel had such a high rating on TripAdvisor. It is in a wonderful location - a little over 2 miles from the BancorpSouth Arena and less than 10 mins from Barnes Crossing Mall. It is also near several restaurants. However, you have to be careful to not accidentally pass the street where it's located because the hotel is behind another hotel. The person who checked us in, Ms. Pat, was really sweet. However, I wasn't offered a complimentary room upgrade as a platinum member at any time; even when the Saturday morning front desk person told me an upgraded room was available when I asked, I still was not offered one. I didn't have a chance to try breakfast, but I expect the cinnamon rolls were tasty as they always are. We were located near the end of a hall on the third floor and could hear every noise outside of the room. We had a microwave and mini refrigerator in our room. The room looked great, but the bathroom needed to be updated, particularly the bathtub and the area around it. Our commode became clogged; when my husband went to the front desk to request maintenance, he was told that maintenance had left for the day (it was noon) and given a plunger to unclog it himself. After the wedding and reception, around 11:30 that same night, our smoke detector started beeping for no reason and wouldn't stop. I called the front desk; I was told that maintenance was gone for the day and advised to remove the battery. My husband did just that, but the detector kept beeping. He called the front desk again and was asked why it was still beeping. He informed the person that he didn't work in maintenance. About 10 minutes later, we were given the room across the hall where we had the pleasure of still hearing the beeping detector throughout the night and until the next morning. In addition, in that room, the bathroom door wouldn't stay open and the bathtub was rusted at the bottom. So, if I return to Tupelo, I will think twice about staying there, even if it means I miss out on earning Priority Club points.

Room Tip: Bring sturdy ear plugs. I sleep in them due to my husband's snoring, but they failed at blockin...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Storm1908
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Very nice clean hotel with friendly staff. Was also able to walk next door to a very good restaurant (Vanelli's). Good breakfast in the morning. Would definately stay here again!

Room Tip: king size bed, non-smoking
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Everytime I have business in the Tupelo area, I always stay here. It is just a nice hotel all around. I have never had a problem here. The hotel staff is friendly. The guest reception is really nice. The rooms are nice and neat. Breakfast is good. If you must stay in Tupelo then stay at the HIE.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Stayed for 1 night to attend a concert at the BancCorp Arena. Close to food and didn't have to deal with the traffic because the hotel is basically in the parking lot of the Arena. Room was perfect!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mariatusc
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We spent one night in 2 rooms at the Holiday Inn Express. Check-in was very friendly. It took a couple of minutes to find rooms that were ready. We were given two rooms next to each other, the hotel doesn’t have connecting rooms. They were clearly still doing some construction in the hotel (it looked like they were re-doing the exercise room), but it appeared to be almost complete. The room looked and smelled as though it were brand new. The room and bathroom were very clean. The room included a refrigerator. The bathroom had a nightlight, which I like, and a large stall shower. The air conditioning worked very well and was quiet. The hotel overall was very quiet, both inside and outside.

The hotel has a small business center that I used to print a couple of things from the internet. The equipment all worked fine. I wasn’t able to get the wired internet to work, but wireless worked great out by the pool and OK in my room. There was no charge for the wireless internet. The pool is outside behind the hotel, with friendly hardworking staff removing any leaves that may have fallen in. They had a small afternoon reception with beer, soda, water, hot dogs, chips, and popcorn. A nice touch in the afternoon. In the morning they had the standard breakfast buffet, which was good but a little crowded when we visited.

Overall an excellent stay and I would definitely stay here again if I were ever in Tupelo.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family