“Dirty” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Tupelo
Deerfield Beach, Florida
“Dirty”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2008

Upon arrival, my reservation was for a smoking room, which was corrected graciously. Then it all went downhill. The elevator floor was absolutely filthy. The panel to push buttons for the floor was sticky and grimy. The air vent had “sweaters” of dirty lint that had not been attended to for a length of time.

Upon exiting the elevator, there was trash in the foyer right in the middle of the floor. I know you cannot continuously clean after disrespectful guests. I took pictures and threw away the trash myself.

At this point, I should have turned around and “unchecked” in. I thought surely my room would be different so on I went. Wrong, I was. The bathroom acoustic ceiling had patches across the entire ceiling. Some of the acoustic pieces had fallen in the tub. The floor of the tub was soiled/stained with black blotches.

The bed was not completely made. I called the front desk to advise the pillows did not have pillow cases and they were stacked in the mid-section of the bed. The beds themselves were hap-hazardly made with the bed skirt and bedspread spewing onto the floor.

The floor in the room had not been vacuumed; areas of the carpet may never have been cleaned. The ironing board cover was soiled. The coffee service was just piled on the top of the coffee maker and a sugar packet was already open.

The luggage carts were not moved from the hallway for the 2 days I was there, how could housekeeping work around them?

The south wall of my room was soiled from what looked like mold and the bed side table and desk had dried rings of drink condensation from the previous guest that had not been cleaned.

I had intentions of swimming and I always eat breakfast at the hotel but due to the conditions of the rest of the hotel, I could not bear the thought. The view of the pool from my room showed it needed some maintenance as well.

I have stayed at the Quality Inn in Ennis, Texas and have never had to complain. I will plan differently on my future travels.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Greenville, Mississippi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2008

My daughter and I stayed here one night while we were in town for a swim meet. (We usually stay at Baymont, but it was booked).

The lobby is spacious and nicely appointed. The pool area is also large, but the housekeeping around the pool area left a lot to be desired (the pool itself was clean; it's just that the guests left a lot of trash around and the hotel staff didn't see to its removal).

The staff was very friendly and courteous at check-in. Our room was nice; unlike many hotels, it wasn't unsufferably hot in the room upon entry, so it didn't take long for it to cool down.

The continental breakfast has more to offer than many hotel chains. In addition to the standard fare (cereal, bagels, toast, danish, juice, milk, coffee), it also afforded make your own waffles, biscuits and sausage gravy, instant oatmeal, instant grits, and hard-boiled eggs. Not too shabby.

In all, our stay was a good one . . . and the hotel is not too distant from shopping and eateries.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Jensmien
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2008

When we first walked into our room the bathroom wreaked of mold and the tub had not been cleaned. I went to the front desk and asked for bleach myself to clean the tub. There was roaches present, and when asked if there was a problem they said they have a roach problem especially in the basement. There was mold on the COLD donuts they offer in the morning for breakfast, the carpet was dirty through out the hotel. There was one morning they did not have any towels available, I did not recieve any towels until after noon! On a good note the pool was nice and the front desk employees and management were very nice!

I wouldnt recommend anyone to stay here

• Disliked — Dirty especially the roaches
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank hubbyb9825
N. CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2008

Some things get better with age. Only a few indicators on the exterior might lend to how old the building is, but inside things looked new and very clean. Front desk service was fast and friendly. Our room faced the main road but there was no issue with noise at all, room was just plain quiet. Walking distane to lots of great eating, Shoneys had a fine lunch buffet. Great room for the price!

• Liked — Low cost and quiet.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank FrizzB
Mississippi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2008

The front desk staff was very nice and very helpful. The lobby was beautiful and roomy. There is a nice indoor pool and hot tub HOWEVER - there are no towels at the pool and you have to go to the front desk and request one (be sure to do this prior to going to the pool) . The pool does have a deep end (as well as swallow end) which is about six foot deep.

There is only one elevator and it's very slow. Made me nervous a few times that the door wasn't going to open - thank goodness it did. I recommend that you do not stay on the first level (as my friend did)- it seems dark and gloomy.

My room overlooked the pool which was pretty good. The rooms were nice but, there were places on the ceiling that had fallen off in both the sleeping area and the bathroom. The room was a little dark but, the cable was great with lots of channels. The breakfast bar was wonderful. The location is great. The beds are VERY comfortable with three pillows on each bed.

While no hotel is perfect all in all this was not a bad stay and the price was great.

Stayed May 2008
Tupelo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2008

We stayed here while my husband was here on business. I am a former Convention Service Manager and now I am in the hotel site selection business. I would NOT recomend this hotel to any client. We began with crumbling celing plaster, then the bathroom tub and curtain were extremely moldy. The carpet in the room was filthy to the point where in places our feet would stick to it.. The pool area is unclean with no towels. When we got a roll away bed, they could not even furnish a blanket with it because "they were out of them". I paid $10.00 for a roll away (broken at the bottom of it) and I expect my 7 year old to have a blanket with it. With an injured foot, I had to bring it to the room from the lobby myself. When I got it in the room, it was tied up with a trash bag which was very hard to undo without a knife. The remote control was taped together. Now to the lamps... There was no light by the desk making it hard to work. When I went to move one there, I discovered that there were lamps without any bulbs in them. On the upside, the staff was very friendly and helpful but I still wish I had followed my gut and booked with Hilton Garden.

• Liked — Staff was friendly
  • Disliked — Overall cleanliness and functionality
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Morris, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2008

We chose this hotel over the Sleep Inn and were not displeased. While an older property, it is in good condition. It is a two story building with exterior doors, so be sure you request a room away from the main road. We didn't and were sorry. Otherwise, the room was fine and bed comfortable. Staff was very friendly and the breakfast buffet really was above average. Lots to choose from plus the usual pastries, cereal, etc. The internet service was slow and spotty. In all, except for the road noise, the stay was fine.

• Disliked — Highway noise
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple