“Authentic Italian and Greek at its best!”
Review of Vanelli's - CLOSED

Vanelli's
Cuisines: Greek, Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We joined a local friend from Tupelo for dinner, and it was one of the best Italian/Greek restaurants I've ever eaten at in the U.S.! The service was phenomenal, and we even got to meet the owner and get some excellent dessert recommendations! I would highly recommend anybody visit this wonderful place if you get the chance.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

The visitor's center at Tupelo recommended Vanelli's as a good place for lunch. They were correct! It was great Greek/Italian food with a real "family" flare for hospitably. There are family pictures and contemporary art mixed thought out the restaurant. We met one of the brothers that manage the restaurant and he made us feel very welcome. Feel free to ask questions about the family pictures and the restaurants history. We were not expecting great Greek food in Tupelo and were pleasantly surprised.

Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

I had an Italian craving and had heard good things. I had the Calzone and it was wonderful. Can't wait to go back and try something else.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Tupelo is not a mecca of fine dining.The town has its share of fast food establishments and they seem to do gangbusters business. And it is no wonder with sit down restaurants like Vanelli's serving sub-standard dining options.

I was in town on business, each time I visited, the billboards and the locals raved about this place. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what everyone sees in this place. It is mediocre at best.

The staff doesn't come across super friendly, they have a take-it-or-leave-it attitude. The menu is an eclectic mix of Greek and Italian fare. None of it nearly as appetizing as the descriptions make them sound.

The excessive use of adjectives to describe their sauces and meats looks better on paper than it tastes on the palate. It is easy to imagine that in its heyday, this restaurant may have delivered on the promises touched upon in their menu, but the glory days seem to have passed this establishment by.

I had the veal, which was overcooked, chewy and flavorless. I opted for side of Angel hair pasta which was covered in an underwhelming meat sauce twas brown and flavorless. There are virtually no spices used in the preparation to give the food an authentic Mediterranean flavor.

Beverages were kept filled, which is a big plus in my book.

Not the worst restaurant ever, not by a long shot, but it was disappointing. It may be the best in Tupelo, and if that is the case, my sympathies to the people that call the town home.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We went in, and failed to get any service for a while (albeit, we were in a room that was filled with a large group that we were with and I think they were overwhelmed), so we decided to just go to the buffet. I think we would have been better off choosing something off the menu. I have had far, far better Italian food many other places. Folks like and recommend this place, but I do think that if there is demand in Tupelo for another Italian restuarant, any place that is decent would do very well to compete with Vanelli's. I love Italian food more than any other type, but this did not float my boat. If you go, stay away from the buffet and try something from the menu, if you can get a server to pay attention to you. I would try to find another place.