“Get Off of the Beaten Path”

Natchez Trace Parkway
Ranked #2 of 24 things to do in Tupelo
More attraction details
Owner description: This 444-mile parkway follows a Native American footpath from Natchez, MS to Nashville, TN.
Lincoln, Nebraska
136 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Get Off of the Beaten Path”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

We stopped at the Tupelo Visitor's Center and spent some time on the Trace with plans to visit again on our return trip from Florida. We enjoyed the film and exhibits in the visitor's center. There are numerous overlooks and pullouts. I've been on the Blue Ridge Parkway before and this experience is just as wonderful. My next review will highlight the trip from Vicksburg to Tupelo.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Jim B

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“ARGGGG!!! Why no picnic shelters.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

This was our third trip down the trace. We've been from Memphis to Tupelo, Memphis to Jackson and this time Tupelo to Jackson.

I wish every state had one of these to drive thru as I can't stand the crazies on the highways and just enjoy hitting the cruise button and then not touching the brake for 5 hours.

We saw a lot of turkeys this time. We previously had seen foxes and deer. Really interesting to see the tornado damage between Jackson and Natchez. Going to have to research this more.

ONE THING!!!!! We travel with a cooler, cold meat, chips and pudding to eat for lunch. Well this time it was sprinkling rain all day long and so what looks like a large park was Rocky Springs about an hour south of Jackson. Well it did have multiple picnic areas, tent and rv camping but NO PICNIC SHELTER so we had to eat in the car. In fact we did not see a single picnic shelter south of the visitor center in Tupelo.

ARGGGGGG.....

1 Thank DaPappaTravel
Horsham, United Kingdom
88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 371 helpful votes
“What a revelation, brilliant, fabulous, beautiful - Loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

In truth, I had never heard of it, so will forever be indebted to a kind man who (at the Vicksburg Battlefield site) strongly commended we take a diversion and drive a part of this road.

We did.

Joined the Parkway around Hwy 27's intersection (Utica direction) and headed South to Natchez - about 60 miles, so only a small stretch of the 440 miles of the whole thing.

A tree & wild flower lined road, with NO Trucks, No Traffic Lights, Roundabouts, Cross-roads, Fastfood Outlets, Petrol/Gas Stations or Motels/Hotels with nothing to see but wildlife, birds and the beautiful greenery of Spring - wow, wow, and thrice wow.

Very little traffic, and, everyone observing the speed limit - a real treat. I saw a Sandhill Crane and was able, with there being no traffic, to turn around a view it properly.

We stopped 2/3 times and went for a walk down some of the Trails that were so heaving used by the Indians around 800 years ago.

Did take some Video and will try to add that when I get around to editing it etc

I could wax lyrical, but will refrain - Just do it. It is amazing.

I will do the whole thing one day, stopping en route at the Off-Parkway Establishments, that are sign posted. The whole road (Parkway) at 440 miles will take several days (or 10 -11 hours straight). A leisurely pace is our preferred.

We did our stretch in 2 - 3 hours, including stops.

Visited April 2013
5 Thank Safariholic
Ball, Louisiana
159 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 301 helpful votes
“Beautiful drive, lots of wildlife, plenty of abandoned places”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

We only drove the Mississippi section this trip, we will drive the northern half later. It took us a few hours and we did stop at each stop. We went to see fall leaves and the foliage was beautiful! ( I will attach some pics) We saw tons of wildlife (4 whitetail deer, 1 bobcat, and then assorted squirrels and birds). We did not mind the 50 mph speed limit.
*******There were several stops with bathrooms which were appreciated.
****** If you are looking for abandoned ruins, you have to park and get out and walk. They cannot be seen from the road. It is an easy, short walk. One major stop with ruins is Rocky Springs, which has an old church still standing (which may be entered). Rocky Springs stop also has a very old, beautiful cemetery. Another stop with ruins is the old girl's school.
******There is also a waterfall, which cannot be viewed from the road. Just park and walk down to it. I will include photos of all of these things. The Natchez Trace is not a museum or an amusement park. Do not go "to it" expecting to be dazzled. It is excellent for nature lovers and for history lovers. If you do not care for nature or history, you will not enjoy it. I have loved going ever since I was a child and I cannot wait to finish the northern half of the trail.
****Go to the website before your trip and print out a map which will let you know which stops are ahead and at what mile marker.
*****No businesses on the trace so fill up with gas and get snacks before you start. (It is very easy to leave the trace should you need to though, so don't worry.)

8 Thank Seven7777
Minnesota
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 291 helpful votes
“Beautiful quiet and relax full drive.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

The Natchez Trace Parkway is a fine example of our national park system. Retrace the steps of early native Americans and 18th and 19th century Americans who used this route to travel from the banks of the Mississippi to Middle Tennessee. The speed limit varies between 40 and 50 mph so plan on making this a destination, not a highway to get from point A to Point B. There are numerous stops and the park service brochure will explain what you can do or see at each stop. Numerous short hikes and photo ops abound and I'd highly recommend this parkway for those willing to give it just time!

The downside is the road is often used by locals as a shortcut and they tend to speed and tailgate in sections. If I had my druthers, I'd place a toll on the route to curtail folks from using it for such needs and preserve it for those who wish to take the time to enjoy it.

2 Thank BorealForestDweller

Been to Natchez Trace Parkway? Share your experiences!