“Probably Better than Avg because of the food”
Review of South

South
Ranked #12 of 205 Restaurants in Tupelo
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Food was good: I had a salad (strange concoction, but tasted OK. My steak was properly cooked and seasoned and the deserts were more than awesome. Daughter's mahi was dry, everyone else seemed to enjoy their food.
Now the kid waiters, that was different. Grooming is important for everyone and this one needed some tips.

There are newer reviews for South

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Great food and service!! Loved the fried green tomato appetizer! The pecan crusted catfish was delicious!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband & I visited once, & it wasn't too bad(the crab & artichoke soup was wonderful!). BUT...we thought we'd try it again & just took a business associate with us to South,and WERE WE EMBARRASSED!!!! The server showed up looking disheveled & with her shirt filthy dirty in the front, poor posture (slouched the entire time), and took SO LONG attempting to open our wine bottle, that it got VERY uncomfortabe(to the point that I had to stop my husband from offering to open it FOR her!). She proceeded to call all of us "hun" (yeah, I KNOW this is the SOUTH, but I might expect that at a DINER such as Huddle House, certainly NOT at a "finer" restaurant--NOT CLASSY). Oh yes, speaking of wine...when we ordered, she kept shortening what we wanted (as she was writing it down) in a very UNCLASSY way (i.e. our Pinot
Griggio was now just "Pinot". even though there are DIFFERENT types of "pinot", and my White Zinfandel was now just "ZIN"...really?!).
Now to the food....both men got steaks that they were NOT happy with & we took "to go" boxes back for our pets-they loved the fat/gristle! My shrimp & grits came with underdone shrimp and so-so grits with odd sliced tomatoes(??) all over them. I FINALLY couldn't take it anymore (after gritting my teeth every time our waitress came slouching over with her dirty shirt, calling us "hun" & asking if I wanted more "Zin")....when she came over with our "to go" boxes in her hand & actually started to scrape our leftovers into them--ON OUR TABLE--UNBELIEVABLE!!! Talk about UNCLASSY!!! I had to actually say to her-"Would you MIND taking those to that empty table over there? (or how about this-doing what a "classy" rest. does & take our dishes TO THE "BACK OF THE HOUSE"!!). We were SO mortified, in front of this important client. It seemed like we kept apologizing for service, food etc. the entire time there! I have been a server in the past, as have my children (one of which is now a food scientist & chef)---they need to do some re-training of staff.) And speaking of re-training....it would be EXTREMELY helpful if the person (hostess) greeting us at the front door & showing us to our seats (the very 1st time we decided to "give them a try")....was knowledgeable enough to KNOW what the word 'CUISINE" meant when asked "what is your cuisine?"...instead of looking at me as though I was speaking Greek, and asking me "what is THAT?" (as in, what is that STRANGE word you're asking me...."cuisine")..Are you kidding me? You work at a RESTAURANT....learn the lingo for heaven's sake!! (especially if you are working at a NEW restaurant in which people WILL be asking you such a question!!).

2  Thank karen l

Been to South? Share your experiences!