“wonderful” 5 of 5 bubbles

Neon Pig Cafe
Ranked #4 of 193 Restaurants in Tupelo
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: I reviewed this restaurant on Yelp and Urban Spoon. I tried to add it to trip advisor the other day, but I didn't hear anything back, and it's not on your site. You can check it out at their Facebook page, Neon Pig Cafe.
Toledo, OH
“wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

went for ribs and found out they did not serve them. I had the best grilled cheese of my life. this place is cool.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank JTTOL

Hustonville, KY
“Okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

We nearly left when we came in. The music was loud and not to our liking. We stayed and did have a good dinner. My smash burger was very good. My husband enjoyed the chicken sandwich on steamed bread. There were several drink choices, including lots of beer. You serve yourself drinks and sides. There weren't a lot of side choices, mostly package chips. It is a small place with a bar for about 12 and about 5 tables. They also sell fresh meats and frozen dinners. It is a little different, not a place to go to enjoy a comfortable sit-down dinner. They did turn the music down after a bit. The choices are limited. I would recommend it if you understand the type of cafe it is and you want a good sandwich. The server was very personable.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ljgordon
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I ate here while in town for a wedding. I heard great reviews by word of mouth and decided to stop here. I can honestly say that this was the best burger I ever had! I highly recommend eating here!

• Visited September 2012
Mesquite, Nevada
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

Stopped in, just driving by, looking for lunch. We are from Mesquite, Nevada, going to Hilton Head, South Carolina.
This was the best "Bun Pork" sandwich I have ever had. My husband had the Special of the day, Smoked Turkey/Bacon Melt. Superb Sandwich.
Don't be afraid to stop at the "strip mall", local is best.
The people were so friendly and cared about customer service, they were Great!

• Visited September 2012
DeKalb County
“My kind of cafe...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

When I walked into The Neon Pig Café in Tupelo earlier this summer and saw several, old Mason jars filled with clean water, fragrant rosemary sprigs and delicately-leaved thyme, I suspected that I had stumbled into my kind of place. A quick look at their hand-lettered menu on the wall, and I was certain. After reading the sign inviting me to choose a beer, I lifted a cold Sprecher Hefe Weiss from the cooler, sat down on a wooden bar stool, ordered a shrimp po’ boy, and waited. Ten minutes later, after watching a young man deftly grill the components of my meal, I knew I’d found someplace special. It was love at first bite.
This cafe is small but mighty, tucked into a strip mall off a main thoroughfare not far from our hotel. As a teacher, I often travel with my husband during the summer when he goes on business trips. His current position takes him mostly to towns in North Carolina, Tennessee, and Mississippi, so I have been searching through new stomping grounds for daily entertainment of late. For me, that usually means locating local historical sites (such as Faulkner’s Rowan Oak in Oxford), finding an inviting independent bookstore, and discovering a restaurant I might never tire of. The Neon Pig Café, although a ten hour drive from us, meets the last criterion. Fortunately for him, my husband gets down to the area on business quite frequently. I, on the other hand, can only view their Facebook page, “like” the daily special, and sigh.
I was born and raised in the Midwest, central Illinois, to be specific. One slice of Oscar Mayer bologna or a thin shmear of “sandwich spread” on soft white bread was Mom’s idea of a decent sandwich (cut diagonally, of course) with a canned peach or pear filled with cottage cheese in a Melmac bowl on the side. We obediently washed it all down with a tumbler of cold, whole milk without a complaint. It WAS the 50”s. As poor college students, however, my boyfriend (now husband) and I discovered a couple of affordable cookbooks on the super sale rack of the campus bookstore, and our love for cooking with flavor began. The folks at The Neon Pig understand flavor and work with quality, local ingredients, and their customers are finding that out and returning.

Tupelo, Mississippi is the birthplace of the peanut-butter-banana-and-bacon-sandwich-loving Elvis whose tiny, shotgun home is the town’s main tourist draw. Its byways are lined with every chain restaurant one might come to expect in a town of their size, but our taste buds craved much more than bland pasta, expensive but generally disappointing steaks, or uninspired burgers. I know we’re not alone in our quest for local, fresh, and REAL food, and more and more of us have seen a vision of the grail at The Neon Pig’s food bar. (Generally, it’s filled with cold beer. )
Another attraction of cafes such as The Neon Pig is that they tend to strive to keep their food interesting by continually concocting new and fresh creations such as a couple of recent Pig specials -- shark tacos and confit pork and rattlesnake bean burritos -- thus avoiding the tedium of a static menu.
Although southern cooking is already a fusion of cultural influences, Mitchell (the main man in front of the grill at The Pig) and Trish, a co-owner, bring it to a new level. Earlier this summer, Mitch put together his own take on pirlau a low-country stew which has strong African influence. He also puts his own riff on pork belly, using contrasting flavors of hoisin and sriracha along with spicy, southern pickles to create a symphony of flavors that pop in your mouth. I highly recommend the belly atop their steamed Asian buns (that didn’t sound quite right), but they also provide lettuce wraps to offer a gluten-free alternative. The peppery, white barbecue sauce atop juicy grilled chicken with its creative accompaniments is the next dish on my bucket list to try (but only if the special isn’t simply too tempting to resist).
I could not close without offering high praise to the Pig’s signature Smash Burger; I have no words, only moaning sounds, that would do it justice. My husband has become a devoted fan of this celestial concoction of high-quality beef, Benton’s bacon, chunks of flavorful cheeses, and other secret ingredients. We never leave town without taking an extra couple patties with us to “smash” and eat back home in Illinois.
The Neon Pig also provides aged steaks, fresh seafood, and a variety of encased meats for those who wish to take the goodness home. These, along with local honey, fresh fruits and vegetables from neighboring orchards and farms, not only grace their ever-changing menu but are available for purchase in small quantities – right next to a cooler full of sweaty bottles of fine craft beers beckoning the thirsty at the end of a long day. The Neon Pig may be small, but it is mighty – mighty fresh, mighty flavorful, and mighty friendly. Although you might hesitate to let the secret out, it’s only fair to spread the good word.

• Visited June 2012