“Excellent”
Review of Neon Pig Cafe

Neon Pig Cafe
Ranked #6 of 201 Restaurants in Tupelo
Cuisines: American
Description: I reviewed this restaurant on Yelp and Urban Spoon. I tried to add it to trip advisor the other day, but I didn't hear anything back, and it's not on your site. You can check it out at their Facebook page, Neon Pig Cafe.
Mesquite, Nevada
“Excellent”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Stopped in, just driving by, looking for lunch. We are from Mesquite, Nevada, going to Hilton Head, South Carolina.
This was the best "Bun Pork" sandwich I have ever had. My husband had the Special of the day, Smoked Turkey/Bacon Melt. Superb Sandwich.
Don't be afraid to stop at the "strip mall", local is best.
The people were so friendly and cared about customer service, they were Great!

• Visited September 2012

DeKalb County
“My kind of cafe...”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

When I walked into The Neon Pig Café in Tupelo earlier this summer and saw several, old Mason jars filled with clean water, fragrant rosemary sprigs and delicately-leaved thyme, I suspected that I had stumbled into my kind of place. A quick look at their hand-lettered menu on the wall, and I was certain. After reading the sign inviting me to choose a beer, I lifted a cold Sprecher Hefe Weiss from the cooler, sat down on a wooden bar stool, ordered a shrimp po’ boy, and waited. Ten minutes later, after watching a young man deftly grill the components of my meal, I knew I’d found someplace special. It was love at first bite.
This cafe is small but mighty, tucked into a strip mall off a main thoroughfare not far from our hotel. As a teacher, I often travel with my husband during the summer when he goes on business trips. His current position takes him mostly to towns in North Carolina, Tennessee, and Mississippi, so I have been searching through new stomping grounds for daily entertainment of late. For me, that usually means locating local historical sites (such as Faulkner’s Rowan Oak in Oxford), finding an inviting independent bookstore, and discovering a restaurant I might never tire of. The Neon Pig Café, although a ten hour drive from us, meets the last criterion. Fortunately for him, my husband gets down to the area on business quite frequently. I, on the other hand, can only view their Facebook page, “like” the daily special, and sigh.
I was born and raised in the Midwest, central Illinois, to be specific. One slice of Oscar Mayer bologna or a thin shmear of “sandwich spread” on soft white bread was Mom’s idea of a decent sandwich (cut diagonally, of course) with a canned peach or pear filled with cottage cheese in a Melmac bowl on the side. We obediently washed it all down with a tumbler of cold, whole milk without a complaint. It WAS the 50”s. As poor college students, however, my boyfriend (now husband) and I discovered a couple of affordable cookbooks on the super sale rack of the campus bookstore, and our love for cooking with flavor began. The folks at The Neon Pig understand flavor and work with quality, local ingredients, and their customers are finding that out and returning.

Tupelo, Mississippi is the birthplace of the peanut-butter-banana-and-bacon-sandwich-loving Elvis whose tiny, shotgun home is the town’s main tourist draw. Its byways are lined with every chain restaurant one might come to expect in a town of their size, but our taste buds craved much more than bland pasta, expensive but generally disappointing steaks, or uninspired burgers. I know we’re not alone in our quest for local, fresh, and REAL food, and more and more of us have seen a vision of the grail at The Neon Pig’s food bar. (Generally, it’s filled with cold beer. )
Another attraction of cafes such as The Neon Pig is that they tend to strive to keep their food interesting by continually concocting new and fresh creations such as a couple of recent Pig specials -- shark tacos and confit pork and rattlesnake bean burritos -- thus avoiding the tedium of a static menu.
Although southern cooking is already a fusion of cultural influences, Mitchell (the main man in front of the grill at The Pig) and Trish, a co-owner, bring it to a new level. Earlier this summer, Mitch put together his own take on pirlau a low-country stew which has strong African influence. He also puts his own riff on pork belly, using contrasting flavors of hoisin and sriracha along with spicy, southern pickles to create a symphony of flavors that pop in your mouth. I highly recommend the belly atop their steamed Asian buns (that didn’t sound quite right), but they also provide lettuce wraps to offer a gluten-free alternative. The peppery, white barbecue sauce atop juicy grilled chicken with its creative accompaniments is the next dish on my bucket list to try (but only if the special isn’t simply too tempting to resist).
I could not close without offering high praise to the Pig’s signature Smash Burger; I have no words, only moaning sounds, that would do it justice. My husband has become a devoted fan of this celestial concoction of high-quality beef, Benton’s bacon, chunks of flavorful cheeses, and other secret ingredients. We never leave town without taking an extra couple patties with us to “smash” and eat back home in Illinois.
The Neon Pig also provides aged steaks, fresh seafood, and a variety of encased meats for those who wish to take the goodness home. These, along with local honey, fresh fruits and vegetables from neighboring orchards and farms, not only grace their ever-changing menu but are available for purchase in small quantities – right next to a cooler full of sweaty bottles of fine craft beers beckoning the thirsty at the end of a long day. The Neon Pig may be small, but it is mighty – mighty fresh, mighty flavorful, and mighty friendly. Although you might hesitate to let the secret out, it’s only fair to spread the good word.

• Visited June 2012
5 Thank foodophile
Tupelo, Mississippi
“An eclectic joint with great attitude”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The creativity and outstanding beer selection make this place one of my hometown favorites. You can stop by for a meal or pick up a broad selection of specialty cuts from the butcher counter to take home. A wall of coolers hosts one of the best bottled beer selections in Northeast Mississippi. A go-to selection for lunch or dinner.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank KevinMTate
Tupelo, Mississippi
“Unexpected surprise”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We decided to try this one day - We got salmon and steak cuts one night to grill - EXCELLENT! We went back a couple of weeks later and picked up some SMASH burgers and some bread - Again - FANTASTIC! The gentleman that worked there was super helpful and made some excellent recommendations!

Visited June 2012