“great story behind the gathering of these cars”

Tupelo Automobile Museum
Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Tupelo
Woodway, TX
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“great story behind the gathering of these cars”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

We went to the museum on the same day that we toured the birthplace of Elvis. It is a huge building, featuring vehicles from 1899 to now, They were featuring Corvettes when we were there.
My husband is more of a car fan than I am, so I made a quick pass through and took a few pictures of the Duesenberg, Stanley Steamer, Tucker, Edsel, etc. Then I went to sit on a bench by the front while my husband finished. They were playing a video of how the museum came to be. You would be tempted to pass this by. DON"T. It is the fascinating
story of a Mr. Spain from Tupelo whose passion for antique cars led him to collect these into his private collection. As I understand it, there are even more cars lodged somewhere else. Mr. Spain passed away a few years ago, but the fascinating thing to me about the story was his part in building (literally) the tv station in Tupelo back in the 50's
Plenty of parking is provided, along with a gift shop and restrooms.

Visited June 2011
4 Thank corollagirl

Birmingham, Alabama
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Would have been an excellent visit if they did not turn the lights out when I was using the bathroom.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2011

This was the most unique collection of cars that I have seen. They have a lot of rare cars, including the Tucker. When we were leaving the building near closing time, I stopped to use the bathroom. This turned out to be a mistake. The lady at the counter had turned out some lights from her counter that was in the front of the building and the bathroom light was one of them. I had to wander around in the dark to find the door. It would be good to have the bathroom lights on their own switch...

Visited March 2011
4 Thank wantToSeeItAll064
Tallahassee, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Love the smell of rubber”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2010

....tires that is! I was giddy by the time I walked out. Not sure why I've always loved that aroma...some of you know what I mean, right? Maybe it's just me. Anyway, the collection of autos is unsurpassed. They even have one of Elvis' cars there. It's a fun and educational place to visit. Will be back!

3 Thank PickyGirlfromFlorida
Gainesville, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A Must See!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

This is a beautiful and intelligently designed museum that will appeal to a broad spectrum of folks, from kids of all ages to automobile collectors and enthusiasts to anyone who enjoys a glimpse into human progress over the past century. In addition to showcasing over 100 impeccably restored vehicles, the museum really celebrates the history of invention You get an awe-inspiring dose of the human spirit for innovation when you walk these aisles.

3 Thank ATHiker65
Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awesome stop for the whole family!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2010

Went to this museum when visiting relatives in Tupelo. I'm not a car enthusiast, but was SO happy I went anyway. My husband loved the fast cars, I loved seeing all the amazing old cars - which are perfectly restored with all the incredible details - and my near 2 year old loves running around seeing all the different sizes and versions of cars! The price is right and we go there every time we go to Tupelo. I would not miss this! It's an awesome time for the entire family. The gift shop is also great for kids travel toys and cool postcards. It's also right downtown so we hit food, shopping and the free kid's fountain right after. Made for a fun day!

3 Thank HeartDarts