“Never again!”

Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in Tupelo
Panama City
“Never again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

I have never left a comment about a hotel stay but I can’t help this one. We booked 15 rooms at the Jameson Inn in Tupelo this past week. From the beginning we had nothing but problems. We would have immediately left but all hotels were sold out until Sunday. When we checked into our room it took us 30 minutes to get the door opened. It was not the key but the lock. The front desk said maintenance would be out first thing in the am to fix it. Once we got into the room it was filthy, I could write my name in the dust on the furniture etc., no toiletries, the coffee maker had days of coffee grounds dried in the filter and pot. We were so tired we didn’t notice the bugs for a few minutes. We’re not talking a few but a colony of roaches. Again, promise to fix in the am. There was no other room to move to according to the desk. In the morning we went to the bathroom, our shower curtain was completely covered in mold. It took the front desk 45 minutes to replace, missed breakfast. For 3 days we waited on maintenance to spray for bugs and fix our door. I went to Wal-Mart to buy cleaning supplies since our maids could not get into our room to clean (lock problem not because we were in the room). The desk stated they cleaned our room(not) but the maids didn’t bother with the lock. No beds made, no towels. We had trouble getting back into our room every time we left. Orkin came on the third day but the technician cussed as he tried to get our door opened and left without spraying until another party in our group forced him to keep trying to get in. He said he never sprays this room since he could never get in- reason for bugs. I then noticed the room next to ours vacant and asked the desk if we could move. They stated that it was a king room, I didn’t care. My 9 year old was not going to cry himself to sleep (scared a bug was going to crawl in his mouth) another night we would all fit into the bed. I checked the room for bugs moved the furniture and didn’t see any bugs. This room did not have a refrigerator or microwave as promised. The desk said to move the one from the other room to this one. We moved the refrigerator and 100’s of roaches raced up the wall and floor! I called the desk for RAID to spray so we would not transfer the bugs from one unit to another. He said he didn’t know if they had any, I asked if he could check and he said no. I told him I was going to go and buy some and he said to wait till he called the manager. He then called back within a minute to tell me the manager was on his way with bug spray and he will move the refrigerator. We waited 4 days (until checkout) for that manager with the bug spray, he never showed up. We stayed in the new room for the remaining of our reservation with no refrigerator or microwave. Housekeeping would clean our room but I guess it was too much for them to put our “2” towels in the bathroom, they would just lay them on the chair in front of the front door. Jameson advertises in-room wireless internet. No internet here, not even in the lobby. We specifically called since many of us need it to work. They kept making up excuses that HotAir was coming onsite to fix. I notified HotAir and they are not even located in Tupelo and had no phone calls from the management stating there was a problem. They proceeded to tell us that we would not have internet since the equipment was so old they couldn’t do anything about it. This hotel was completely full with only 2 guests being able to connect to the internet for maybe a few minutes. Some of us went and bought air cards just so we could get internet. Other guests had AC units leaking into their rooms and they did nothing to dry it out- mold was starting to grow and boy did it smell. The pool was filthy and when we, yes we, tested the pool it was unsafe to swim in. People in our party treated, shocked and cleaned the pool, not the Jameson. When we asked them to lock the pool after the chemicals were in they said they did not have a lock. We then asked for a sign so we could close the pool for 24 hours so no guest would get in and get sick. We had to make our own sign. We treated the pool the next couple of days and I have to say it was pretty clean after we left. Another guest did not have a telephone in his room for the entire 7 days. Everyday he was told they would bring one up. We finally came to the conclusion that they did not like to climb stairs. We will NEVER look at a Jameson inn without thinking of our terrible experience. I personally will never stay in a Jameson ever again! My husband is a General Manager of a condo resort and we hear them all- complaints to get a free room, salt shaker too small, color of the shower curtain is a little off from the paint in the bathroom…….but nothing like we just went through. Because of this my husband hates to complain…..but this time is different. I would be ashamed if my husband ran his resort like your Jameson in Tupelo.

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank TinaKelley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Flowood
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2009

Before I took a bath, I had to clean hair out of my bathtub. Killed 2 spiders the first day. The next morning, there were 2 1/2 inch bugs in my bathroom and at that time, I also noticed hair on my floor. Had 2 towels to begin with, but gave them to maids and then never got any back. Went to desk and I got one towel and 1 wash cloth. My son had to shower that afternoon after a soccer game, so he hung his towel up to use the next morning and I dried off with a wash cloth the next morning. It was inexcusable.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Tupelo hotels

Vicksburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2008

I was in Tupelo for a PBL competition during February. I stayed at the Jameson Inn on Mississippi Blvd. The service was exceptional and I am planning on taking my whole family back at the end of March.

• Liked — Outstanding Service
  • Disliked — Too cold to swim.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank amomo7
Independence, KS
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2008

We were on the road home from Florida; our son booked us this through Hotwire for one night's stay. When we arrived in the room, we were mortified. The carpet was worn, furnishings rundown, and not exceptionally clean. But the worst was pulling back the bedspread and seeing worn out stained & dirty linens, with bug parts (legs, etc.) in the bed. We called the front desk; the night manager brought new linens - apologized, but did not even offer to take the old ones or make up the bed for us! If we had not been so tired and in need of lodging, and it had not been 10 pm, we would have left. They discounted another $20 off the room, but it was NOT a good experience. I wish I had taken pictures of the bed, linens and bug parts (and hair) and posted them here. So much for 2* hotels. It's a 3 or better from now on.

• Liked — Breakfast was okay.
  • Disliked — Cleanliness - worn, dirty, stained linens
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StephanieHarris
evansville, IN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2007

We have always had good experiences at Jameson's, and this one is outstanding. Can't beat he rate, $67.99 plus tax. As all other Jameson's, the outside is neat and clean, and very attractive. The hotel is great. If you pass this one up, pity you. I don't know where some of these reviews come from, but I have not had a bad Jameson, and this one is right up there with the best.

• Liked — near to many restaurants
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank welltraveled75
Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2007

Hotel was a little run down, and in a noisy location. Running the fan took care of the noise. Breakfast was barely adequate, go out for breakfast unless you want something fast. Host was friendly and knowledgable, but the location needs some updating. Furniture was scuffed, and rugs worn.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank notreallymyname
Canadian in the Caribbean
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2007

Hello:

After reading the previous two posts, I couldn't, in good conscience, let the negative comments stand, as I had a wonderful four-night stay at the Jameson Inn Tupelo, beginning January 9, 2007.

The room was quite clean, spacious enough, and comfortable. Many of the amenities that I am used to at other places were there, including cable TV, coffee-maker, in-room ironing board and hair dryer, free wireless internet, free breakfast, etc.

As previously noted, the staff was very friendly...always courteous.

Though the free breakfast did not include eggs, bacon, or sausage, there was a good selection of individually-wrapped slices of bread, danishes, biscuits (the roundish ones), donuts, muffins, etc. Hot items included porridge and waffles. Various cereals were also available. For drink, there was milk, orange and apple juice, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate.

Free coffee, tea, and hot chocolate were available 24 hours in the lobby, along with a computer to access the internet, for those who did not have a computer to access the free wireless in-room internet service.

There were no renovations going on at the time. It seems like they finished those, as everything was in order.

The Jameson Inn is literally a stone's throw from Barnes Crossing Mall (www.barnescrossing.com), Old Navy, Circuit City, and other shops, and is a VERY short walk (across N. Gloster Street / # 145 highway) from other retail shopping and restaurants, like Walmart Supercenter, McDonalds, China Buffet, etc.

The only (minor) disappointment that I had with my stay was the bathroom fan. When on, it would draw a cigarette-smoke smell into the room, which I have noticed in some other hotels. To solve that problem, I just didn't use the fan, and all was well. I didn't detect a hint of smoke in my non-smoking room when the bathroom fan was off, and I have a fairly acute sense of smell.

I would highly recommend the Jameson Inn for its comfort, convenience, and amenities. I would rate it above places like the Comfort Suites.

After my stay at the Jameson, I spent four nights at the Hyatt Regency in Atlanta. I had a nice room there, which was slightly larger than the room I had at the Jameson. Okay, the bedding was fancier, though I was fine with Jameson's offerings; but, the Hyatt charged for their internet service, did not have as good a (free) cable television channel line-up as did the Jameson Inn, and did not offer a free breakfast!

So, again, I was very pleased with the offerings of the Jameson Inn. I highly recommend it.

I hope my review has helped you.

Happy travels!