“Good intentions... Filthy accommodations & non-existent breakfast.”
Review of Econo Lodge Tupelo

Econo Lodge Tupelo
Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in Tupelo
West Des Moines, Iowa
“Good intentions... Filthy accommodations & non-existent breakfast.”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I have procrastinated writing this review because the woman working at the front desk was so incredibly kind and helpful to me and my family at check in. But this is where our good experience ends. The only other thing this visit provided us with was a funny story to our family and friends called "Where NOT to Stay in Tupelo". I realize it's only a 2-star hotel so expectations shouldn't be set too high but.... We had just finished driving 12 hours on our way to the Gulf Coast. We rented two rooms. We were tired traveling with kids, ready for showers, a good rest and a decent continental breakfast in the a.m. before we headed out again the next morning. I'll be brief. This hotel is FILTHY. Dirty, dirty, dirty comforters on the beds that we immediately threw on the floor, sticky carpet, dust covering light fixtures and other surfaces, cobwebs in the ceiling corners, one room had DIRTY SHEETS with a hair on the pillowcase!! One room showed indications of an electrical fire with outlet covers pulled away from the wall and the wall blackened around the outlet. The doors appeared to never have been cleaned with black fingerprints and just plain dirt. Everything needed a good scrub. Garbage bins in the outside corridors were absolutely overflowing. We got up early and packed up to get the heck out of there. The free continental breakfast? Well, upon entering the lobby, we were met by a staff member lounging on the lobby sofa who just sort of glared at us. At 8:30 a.m. there was nothing edible left. An 1/8 inch of sticky goo in the waffle batter dispenser. SunnyD in the "orange juice" dispenser. My youngest complained that the cereal and milk "tasted funny". When we discovered that there was no coffee, we alerted the staff. What ensued was an argument between staff members of who who in charge of changing the coffee and then they informed my husband that he was wrong, there WAS coffee in the dispenser. When I looked over and saw my husband unscrewing the top of the dispenser trying to get coffee into a cup.... I stopped the insanity and we went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast which was a much better experience. I am sorry that this was so bad. Again the front desk woman was so very nice. The outside of the hotel looks new, but it's a total facade covering an older and very, very dirty hotel where obviously many of the staff has zero pride in the hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
jamesoninnTupelo, General Manager at Econo Lodge Tupelo, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and let us know about your stay at our hotel. We cannot fix problems at our hotel if we are not made aware of the issues that are here. I am very sorry to hear about your stay with us being an unpleasurable one. As the manager here it is my goal that each guest walks away with a good experience. If you are ever in our area again I hope you will allow us the opportunity to change your thoughts about our hotel. I personally extend you my deepest apologies and welcome you back to the Jameson Inn of Tupelo. I have and will continue to make sure that I correct the issues you brought to my attention so other guests do not have this same experience. Thank you again for this helpful review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Midlothian, Texas
Reviewed February 13, 2012

This was my first stay at this property and I will come back again. Very friendly staff and the location was excellent. The rooms were very clean and had everything I needed.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
jamesoninnTupelo, General Manager at Econo Lodge Tupelo, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Hello dcowan76,
Thanks you so much for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are looking forward to having you back with us again.
Hernando, Mississippi, United States
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Manager is excellent!! Good breakfast choices; neat, clean, tidy rooms; customer service could not have been better. It is the top of the line in affordable, nice place to stay. It is also in a great location!!!

Room Tip: Lower level rooms have outside doors convenient for carrying in baggage!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
jamesoninnTupelo, General Manager at Econo Lodge Tupelo, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Hello Hernando, MS,
First I would like to say thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor about our hotel. We take pride in providing a perfect stay for our guest. I am proud you found your stay pleasing. We look forward to seeing you again.
Atlanta
Reviewed December 29, 2011

We got a $30 deal and this hotel was great for the price, but I would not have been happy had I paid the current Internet price of $80. The curtain rod was rusted, the toilet ran, but the room was clean. It was kind of hard to get to from 78, had to drive around a mall.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Milan, Tennessee
Reviewed November 7, 2011

A group of 12 men stayed at the Jameson in Tupelo on Friday night, November 4th. The Inn is clean, and the property is well kept. However, on the night we stayed, a rock-band tour bus was parked next to our room, and the bus engine ran all night, which was annoying. This Jameson is in an older building with outside entrances. The heat/air unit did not have a setting to allow the fan to run continually, so the unit cycled on and off all night. The road noise from the highway was also evident all night. The pillows were much too hard, and there was not a choice of softer pillows. The bed was great. The continental breakfast was good. Having stayed in the Jameson in Alcoa, TN recently, which was excellent, this Jameson was a bit disappointing.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the same building as the continental breakfast, or you will have to go outside to cro...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Florida
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We stayed here for one night. The location was maked with signed leaving the Highway. Its not directly off the exit, but two turns (about 1.0 mile). Fairly new building, pleasant staff at check-in. They even recommended a non-chain restaurant for dinner. Plenty of parking on site. It is located in a newer part of town with many new box stores, gas stations, and fast food restaurants. Room size was good.
We only had two problems during out stay which we addressed at checkout and I am sure they were looked into. The toilet would continue to "run" on and off all night long to which we just closed the door and the noise was reduced. Also the smoke alarm battery decided to die at 3am. The beeping noise was too much to bear afte a while so we removed the battery as per the suggestion of the front desk staff. All in all it was a good stay for the price paid on hotwire.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
jamesoninnTupelo, General Manager at Econo Lodge Tupelo, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel on trip advisor. I am glad your stay with us was pleasant one. We pride our selves on having the most friendliest and helpful staff. Just want to let you know that the minor issues you brought to our attention has been addressed. Once again thanks for taking the time to post a response on trip advisor.

Angie Gunnells
Stansbury Park, Utah
Reviewed September 6, 2011

This is the worst hotel room that I've stayed at in a very, very long time. Purchased through Expedia for $52 per night (Hotwire type purchase). Room key-card reader didn't work, spiders/insects in the room, no maid service, air conditioning condensation leaked onto the carpet, etc.

If you have the choice to stay here...don't.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family