“Just a place to stay”

Rodeway Inn & Suites Tupelo
Ranked #21 of 26 Hotels in Tupelo
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We were heading South and ended up in Tupelo? This was the only hotel we could use our Choice Points at so we gave it a chance. It is in a very weird area of town although there are other hotels and one being built. The hotel in the front was boarded up which was unsettling. The motel is old but they keep up to a bare minimum. The place was clean but the towels were threadbare. I had a challenge with the taps in the shower to get the right temperature. There is a fridge, micro and coffee maker but the other amenities were a bit lacking but the bed was comfy. The receptionists were very friendly. There is nowhere to eat locally you have to drive into town. It you are looking for a place to stay for the Elvis boyhood home apparently this is the area. Just choose another hotel. There were only 3 rooms occupied on the night we were there.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 6, 2013

we attended a concert at bankcorp south arena so wanted some place cheap and close. price was great booked thru hotels.com. the front desk employee were great very helpful rooms were a little small but clean just a older motel ice maker only on 2nd floor but had a good stay this was in march so pool was closed the outside was clean only problem was the eyesore of the closed hotel in the front but that in not the fault of this company

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tracy B
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The staff was friendly, the room size and cleanliness was good, and the bed was comfortable. But I couldn't get the tub water to completely shut off and the latch on the entrance door needed repair. There was too muck caulking on caulked area, and some of it look old. Still, over all the room was a comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Ok for one night but we've been in better Rodeways. Nail clippings on floor which turned my stomach and just lazy cleaning as rest of room was clean. I know you get what you pay for but that was unforgivable! Have had better options for breakfast too at same price! Internet intermittent.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I travel for business weekly. I recently jioined and stayed at Choice Hotels for 2 nights to get 1 night free. This Roadway was my 8000 point reward. My family pulled up to what appeared to be abandoned hotel buildings and drove around side. In parking lot were about 10 men sitting around looking at us, old cars, nasty tired old building. This is worst hotel I have seen. I cannot believe this is my reward. Regardless to say, I drove across street and payed for clean room in safer area and will discontinue using this chain all together. I cannot afford to be traveling and 2nd guessing what type of hotel these folks may stick me in next time.

Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Docsblocks
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We were on our way to Louisiana to visit our brand new granddaughter with our 2 small/medium size dogs from Ohio. After stopping at 3 other hotels with "No Pet" policies &/or high pet fees, we tried the Rodeway Inn tucked behind some empty buildings right off the highway. The receptionist was very friendly, told us our dogs were welcomed, no extra fee & let us check out our room before registering. It was nice & clean with all the usual amenities. There was a lot of land around the motel for dogwalking which was nice. The price was reasonable & breakfast was served just across the parking lot at the Clarion. The food was tasty, fresh scrambled eggs, homemade biscuits & gravy, etc. offered on real china & silverware, as well. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Cathy B
Reviewed October 24, 2011

My teenage son and I traveled with a group this past weekend and our group booked hotel accommodations at the Clarion. Before we left, I reviewed the hotel on this site and thought it would be fine for one night. I travel quite a lot for my job and have done so for years. Net, I have stayed in the best and the worst and generally I am a very easy guest. As long as the room is clean and in a safe area, I am okay.
Here’s where the story goes south. We arrived at the Clarion and, like other reviews have stated, it’s located behind two other seedy motels (Travelodge and Rodeway Inn). The Travelodge appears to be closed. As we got off the bus, all of our parties’ key packs were laid out in an orderly fashion with names and room numbers. I found my name, grabbed my key and headed into the Clarion. To my surprise, my room number was 334 which was not in the Clarion but next door at the Rodeway Inn. Rooms at the Clarion begin with 500 and go up to the 700’s. Rooms 100 – the 300’s are located next door at a very nasty, very tired Rodeway Inn. I later found out that the Clarion owns the Rodeway Inn and routinely overbooks itself and puts spillover travelers like me in The Rodeway. Well, it’s only for one night, how bad can it be?
We went to our room and went in. To our surprise, our room wasn’t a typical motel room; it was a meeting room complete with conference table. There was a sofa and roll-a-way bed in the room. The roll-a-way’s springs were rusted and appeared to have survived both World Wars. The bathroom was closed off from the main room by a broken wooded partition, privacy, heck no it’s over-rated. The tub was filthy. This is pretty funny, my son is all boy. He’s an excellent athlete, always up for a challenge and, like his father, can pretty much sleep anywhere. He showered with his socks on. The room was a smoking room and had numerous ash trays around for your pleasure. The TV was perhaps the oldest working TV on the planet. I thought that the original Ed Sullivan show would come on if I turned it on. There wasn’t a channel changer with the set and; my son thought it was pretty neat as he has never seen a set that old. The picture was bad as you would expect. The room was so nasty we called a cab which took us to Walmart whereby we purchased two new pillows to sleep on. After we left, we threw them away. The water in the right sink barely ran at all, just a trickle. The “chandelier” was only 5 feet or so above the floor. We had to move the oversized table to open the sleeper sofa and roll-a-way. Net, I slammed into the darn thing with my head three times. I got two hours of sleep or so Friday night. I kept thinking we were going to be on an episode of Cops or something. Oh yea, all of the buttons on the phone and on the TV were sticky.
So now you are asking, why didn’t you call and change rooms? We tried and the Clarion/Rodeway was completely sold out. So was everything else nearby. There was an Ole Miss/Arkansas game that weekend and everything in town was booked. We would have left in a minute, but had two constraint lines: transportation and availability. There is a commercial out now whereby a person goes into a hotel room with a hazmat suit on. If you have one of those available, stay here, if not, drive an hour or so north and stay in Memphis or at another hotel in the area.

One positive note, A-1 Cab company shuttled us to Walmart and back is really good and economical.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel, do not stay here.