“Beantown”
Review of Boston

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Boston, MA
4 helpful votes
“Beantown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2006

Yay Boston! When visiting, don't miss the Duck Tours... although pricey, they are so much fun, especially if you have kids. All of the pictures I posted are from places around Boston. One of the best things about the city is that everything is within walking distance of anything else. You can get off the T at Downtown Crossing and see so much, all in one day, without even getting back on the T. The Freedom Trail is also a great thing for tourists and even residents. I have lived here for three years and haven't seen all of the Freedom Trail yet, but it is such a nice walk that I should really do it all before it snows. Winters tend to be cold here because of the wind, so I recommend visiting in the spring (so many tuplips in the park!) the summer (july 4th fireworks!), or the fall (my favorite!)

1 Thank SAM52706
nottingham, uk
3 helpful votes
“Boston,great short break with the baby...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2006

We visited Boston with our 16 month old son in January. I'd planned the trip as a gift for my wife's birthday. As the trip got nearer, I must admit I was quite worried about a few things, mainly being the flight from the UK with our son, the weather in Boston when we arrived, and if there'd be enough to do to keep us all busy during our four day stay. I needn't have worried on any of these points.
The flight (with British Airways) was excellent. Cabin crew were superb, and looked after us really well, providing everything we needed for our son, and doing thier best to help keep him occupied when he was awake.
We got really lucky with the weather. Anyone who lives in this part of the US or checks the forecast knows how changeable it can be, and this proved to be the case as we had three gorgeous mild days, and heavy snow on the last day, although the place is so well organised it made no difference to our plans for the day,and our travel home wasn't disrupted either.
Boston itself was heaven for anyone with kids or babies. There's so much to do here its unbelieveable, and as with most places in the US, everyhere was so baby-friendly. There are parks everywhere, even when in the City centre there were parks only a few minutes walk away. They were all clean and well maintained.
We stayed at the Hilton Back Bay Hotel, and although this wasn't the most child-equipped hotel I've stayed in, the staff made us so welcome, and always made sure Charlie was looked after. The room was large, and he was quite happy to play with a few toys as he had so much room.
The walk from the hotel to the city is great, either down one of the two best shopping streets in the city, or a little further, but well worth it down the riverside. There are lots of parks along the way, and it really is a nice way to spend some time with the family.
One place you must check-out with the kids is the Children's Museum. It's set in an old building on five or six floors,and there's something to do for all ages from crawling to about ten or twelve. We spent around half a day there,and could easily have stayed longer.
On the whole, we all had a really great time, my wife and I having a better time as Charlie was so well catered for everywhere we went. I'd certainly have no hesitation at all in recommending the place to anyone, especially those of you like us, who still want the odd weekend away, knowing your little-ones are going to be well looked after, entertained, and catered for.
Boston delivers on all counts.

new york
10 helpful votes
“Activate your card”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2006

I purchased the Go Boston Go card, which worked well
at every place we went, except for the Trolley cars.
After surviving the heat and humidity, 100F...we tried to board the Trolley nar Boston Commons. The driver said we had to
activate it the main office across the whole park on the other side, in order to use it. The tears were mixed in with the sweat.
I couldnt believe that he wouldnt let us on. After we walked over to main entrance, the office said that he could have let us on and was being a "jerk". So in order to avoid having to deal with a "jerk", activate your card at office directly near Boston Commons/Swan Ride, and there is a stop right outside the office anyway.

3 Thank bringtoothbrush
Redfield, Arkansas
29 helpful votes
“Nice city but to cold in April..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2006

I just returned from a few days in Boston on business. Boston is a lovely city and the downtown historical area is fantastic. It was lots of walking and the cold wind cut right through us but there was lots to see and lots of pubs to visit.

I was not overall impressed with how difficult it was to get around in the traffic and it was a very expensive city to visit. Although there was a subway that only cost $1.25 to travel across town, it was very crowded and the smell was terrible. The trolly's stopped running at 4 PM so it left you very little way to get around other than by cab which was very costly.

The airport was easy to get around in and all of our flights left and arrived on time which for an airport that size, I found to be quite interesting.

We visited the park down town and was approached by several beggars and some bums that were sleeping on the park benches. It amazed us that the police did not make them move along since it was so close to the Freedom walk and Massacare site. We encountered MANY beggars on the freedom walk and that was the only drawback from that tour that we found. It is definately worth the walk.

We ran into a problem getting a taxi to pick us up in the South Bay area where we found the only nearby Target store so be careful if you travel out that way and make sure that you have a ride back before you stay there. There were young children begging in the streets at intersections as well as a man without a foot and a woman in a wheel chair.
While waiting for our taxi to come back for us, we were approached by a man that insisted that he was a taxi driver. He presented a business card that only had his name and cell phone number on it. I asked him to present his Taxi cab drivers identification car but he could not. He then told us that he used his own personal vehicle to take people places and insisted that it was legal in Boston. I did not check with the local law enforcement to verify this but we did not accept his ride either. I had been warned prior by friends that live in the area not to accept rides from people unless they were in marked cabs so we followed that advise for our own safety. I would visit this city again but I would wait until it was warmer, I would not ever go back in April.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Tour 2005”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2006

Take a tour to Boston , USA and it's a greate and old city with historic landscape and beautiful view.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Boston? Share your experiences!