“Terrible service, mediocre food” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofia Italian Steakhouse

Sofia Italian Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Sofia Italian Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #582 of 3,179 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Roxbury / Hyde Park / Roslindale
Cross street: Spring Street
Transit: MBTA DIRECTIONS: FOREST HILL MBTA STATION Bus #36 (Forest Hills/VA Hospital) terminates at the Veteran’s Hospital on the VFW Parkway. Cross Spring Street, to 1430 VFW Parkway on the north bound side.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Terrible service, mediocre food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I went to Sofia's with a party of four, containing 2 birthdays. We were advised upon check-in that they offer complimentary Creme Brulee or Cheesecake for birthdays. As the 2 birthday guests hadn't yet arrived, we asked that if they did NOT order dessert, please bring one of each. We were then told we could be seated while we were waiting. The host staff was very friendly, smiling, chit chatting, etc. We ordered some wine and received the bread basket and were pretty much left alone, which was fine. Once the other 2 arrived, the waitress took the orders and came back with additional drinks. When the food arrived, I noted my Wellington pastry was RAW. I mean stringy, stretchy raw. The waitress never came back to check in, so after finally flagging her down (which I cannot stand doing!), she said to me "Yeah, sometimes it's kind of jelly." I said "No, as you can see, it is raw. Can you please ask them to toss it in the oven and fire it for a few minutes?" By the time it came back out, the rest of my party had finished eating. The waitress asked if it was ok and I said it was fine. I ended up pulling a portion of the pastry off, but was not about to send it back and risk having the steak ruined. Once I was done, we waited a while before again being able to get her attention. One person said they would like to order a Creme Brulee and one of the birthday guests asked for a dessert menu. After TEN minutes, we again have to wave her down to tell her she never brought the menus. She then handed them to us and within a few minutes, she was back with 3 desserts. She never came back to see what the birthday guest actually wanted, she just brought the free ones and the 3rd person's dessert. We specifically asked that they only do that if they DID NOT order a dessert. I guess the birthday guests didn't order, because she was never asked. The desserts were dropped and the waitress took off again. When she came back I asked her if I could please order a Tiramisu, as she never took my order, and another glass of wine. Again, by the time mine came, everyone else was done. And the wine never arrived. Between the time our party was complete and the time we left, we had been there for 2 hours and 45 minutes. It was absurd. The 2 birthday guests ended up leaving while the other guest and I waited for the tab. I have never in my life spent that amount of time at a table in a restaurant. They could have turned it and completed another sale in that amount of time! Needless to say, I am in no rush to return and if by chance I do, I will be sitting in the lounge, not wasting my entire night trying to flag down someone who can't do the basics of their job.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Canton, Massachusetts, United States
“Indeed a Great Find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Service was excellent for a table of 10 and food was very very good. First time here for all but one couple, and all agree to come back again :). I've always driven by this place, but just for some reason never thought about trying this place until I've read the local reviews. So glad I finally came :).

• Visited May 2013
Boston, MA
“A better family style experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

With a broken and leaking hot water tank in the house, that was all the excuse we needed to try out Sofia's, something we had been meaning to do since driving by this contemporary building. The interior is subdued wood paneling and earth tones, a pleasing ambiance for dinner. Servers were numerous, and not too slow for this type of restaurant. We lucked into a Monday dinner three course special. The clam chowder was rather...huge and it was pretty good too. The Sam Adams steamed mussels were tiny but tasty, and there were lots of them, with fresh chunks of tomato and a decent sauce. Bread was great - be careful not to fill up on that! Swordfish was fresh, and plentiful. My goat cheese and mushroom tortellini was a bit pasty, but still pretty good for a family restaurant. Desserts were likewise large, my creme brulee should have been for at least two people. I think that for a large group of friends or family, this restaurant will satisfy the biggest appetites. BTW, almost everyone was carrying out a large white doggy-bag after dinner, attesting to the portion sizes.

• Visited April 2013
Charlottesville
“Business Trip... Lived Up to Reviews”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

I had dinner at Sophia's with two friends. This was our first time and we were from out of town. It was a Thursday night and our first surprise was the specials. A three course meal for $20 was available with several options. I chose the pasta, Caesar salad and canolli for dessert. I was amazed at the quality of the food for the price. Everything was amazing: taste, portions, temperature, setting. The only slight negative was out waitress didn't really check up on us as I would have expected. Not a big deal but I had to resort to my water vs. a refill on my iced tea. I'd strongly recommend Sophia's to anyone.

1 Thank Kevin K
Massachusetts
“Best ever !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

We were so pleased with our experience at Sofia ! The food was outstanding, the service even better! Our waiter Jerry D. was so nice, he never skipped a beat. His suggestions were right on the money, each course got better than the last. We will be returning the next time we are in the area. No question !!!!!

• Visited February 2013