“The worst hotel ever.”

Boston Hotel Buckminster
Ranked #63 of 84 Hotels in Boston
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 22, 2005

I should have cancelled my stay right when I walked in. The entire lobby is under construction, yet we saw no construction people working. We stayed two nights. Upon inspection of the room we found hair on the "clean" towels. A sign by the thermostat in the room says not to put the heat below 68 or the main unit shuts down. The room was so hot we slept with the window open all night. I finally turned the thermostat down anyway. The TV was in an amoire on the LEFT side of the bed (with the shelves still wrapped in bubble wrap on the bottom). Ever try to watch TV in bed when the TV is on the left wall? The TV remote didn't work. There were no extra pillows. The bathroom was dirty and the light above the sink had four different kind of lightbulbs, two of which were burned out. The tub filled up with water when you showered. Our stay included breakfast in the morning next door at a Japanese restaurant. It was horrible. When we entered, all the tables were dirty and there was only one waitress. We sat at a dirty table for at least 15 minutes before we got service. The food was so horrible that the next day's breakfast we skipped even though it was included in our stay. After a day in Boston we returned to our room to find that our bed was made (well, they put the sheets back in place but didn't tuck in the sides), the carpet was not vacuumed, they never gave us any more soap, shampoo or plastic cups, there was a bit lint ball on the bathroom floor, and only one set of towels instead of two (We called the front desk who said they'd send some up. They never came.) We had to call again the next morning. This place was an absolute dump. I've never stayed in a more disgusting hotel. We tried to find other accommodations nearby, because we already paid for two nights parking, for our second night but every place was full.

• Stayed: October 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,587)

Reviewed October 8, 2005

The Buckminster Hotel exceeded my expectations in terms of value for the money spent. Other hotels in Boston are at least twice as much and in many cases three times as much. The lobby is being renovated but the rooms were quiet and comfortable. The staff was courteous and friendly and breakfast was included. I would highly recommend this hotel for travelers who do not want to drop a bundle on their hotel.

Stayed: October 2005
3  Thank ldraz
Reviewed October 3, 2005

I tentatively booked a 4 night stay at this hotel. I loved the location, as we were going to Red Sox games. I loved the UNHEARD of style of 2 bedrooms and a living room for $200 in Boston. I liked the idea of the free breakfasts, the fridges in the rooms, the kitchens on the floors. I liked it all.

THEN, i read some of the reviews on the site. That scared me like crazy. But after going ahead with the booking, we gave it a shot.

I walked in, and the staff was incredibly friendly. Very helpful. The way to the room was pretty messy....mostly due to rennovations, but it was hardly 'disgusting' or even an issue.

The rooms are very large and clean. There is a lot of wear on the walls and everything....but it's over a hundred years old!!! It was not unappealing and all the furniture was fine. Very comfy beds too.

It's not a 5-star hotel, and it doesn't pretend to be. But it IS clean, it offers so many things that you won't find in Boston (especially for that price), the location is awesome, and if you're travelling with more than 2 people, it's absolutely perfect. Especially if you're going to Sox games.

I highly recommend it, and would be more than happy to stay there on my next visit.

It would be a shame if you were to not stay there because of some negative reviews you see on here. Clearly they were more concerned with feeling like they were at the Ritz Carlton than they were about having a clean, convenient, and very nice room. But you'll be missing out if you choose not to stay here.

7  Thank likeachamp
Rick R, General Manager at Boston Hotel Buckminster, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2016

We appreciate you taking the time to offer feedback. We share this information with our staff as we continually strive to improve our guest's experience.

A TripAdvisor Member
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed October 2, 2005

We stayed for 2 nights at the end of Sept/beginning of Oct at the Buckminster Hotel in Boston. First the good: the price was right-- $99-138 per night and it includes a free breakfast at the restaurant next door. You get to pick from 4 different selections on the menu. The location is EXCELLENT!! You are literally feet from Fenway park and the Kenmore T stop so you can go almost anywhere in the city cheaply. The staff was also extremely courteous. Now the bad: it's a little rundown/dirty. The lobby/hallways are very dirty/dusty. Granted, the hotel is undergoing a major renovation, but there are years worth of grime on the floors. However, I felt like the things that really needed to be clean like sheets, towels, shower, etc. were clean-- so a little dirt on the floor was not that big of a deal. There was certainly less dirt in the room than in the hallways. Hopefully once the renovation is complete they will maintain the hotel with less dirt, but I'd stay there again anyway. For that price you can't beat it!!

• Stayed: October 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 26, 2005

We just spent 2 nights at The Buckminister in Boston's Back Bay area. We wanted a room under $200 in town . We were reluctant to book because some of the reviews were scary . Yes there was construction inside and outside the hotel , the hotel is well worn like a regular European hotel, but we were next to a T stop, Kenmore Sq. Fenway Park etc. , etc. Our room was very clean, non smoking without the tell tale coverup smell, the AC worked even at the end of September, linens and bed were above average , breakfast (included was very good provided by overworked staff member with a great attitude. I can't say enough good things about the staff, they all had the right attitude during i am sure tough times for them. Did i mention the discounted parking next door? $18 insted of the usual $32 +++.

2  Thank kemomom

Thank you for choosing the Hotel Buckminster and taking the time to provide feedback. We value your comments and share them with our staff in an effort to improve the guest experience. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Boston.

Reviewed September 21, 2005

Great location to Fenway, other than that, there is nothing to look forward to here.
We stayed one night. Arrived at 4:30 and dropped off our bags to head to Fenway. Upon our return at 12:30AM we got a good look at what we were in for....
Construction aside, Our room was filthy: the carpet, the furniture, the doors
Our bathroom had hair and a half used container of shampoo on the floor
Our fridge had some leftovers in it
There was also a room key left from the previous visitors.
When I notified the desk of this upon check out they responded "Oh really? Ok I will let housekeeping know."
No apology, no offer of any sort of discount.Wwe were just happy to be getting out of there!
I hope the construction makes some big improvements!

Reviewed September 18, 2005

I stayed for 3 nights in September at the Buckminster.
After reading some critical reviews here on TripAdvisor I must say that my expectations have been exceeded.
I booked a regular room. The room was very spacious, we got the semicircular bay windows. The bathroom was nice, clean, large and modern. The room had a small fridge, which proved very useful.
The subway station is very close, which makes its location very convenient.
The staff was friendly and helpful. I enjoyed the daily free copies of the Financial Times in the lobby.
Yes, the lobby is under renovation, and the not-renovated area looks old and worn, but the rooms do not.
My main problem was with the breakfast: it is not buffet. A coupon entitles you to 1 of 3 basic choices, which are insuficient. As you must order this takes a lot of time, 45 mins at least, so you start your day late and hungry...(that's where the fridge comes in handy...)

1  Thank Alex047