“Great value, great location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Boston Hotel Buckminster

Boston Hotel Buckminster
Ranked #66 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Boston
“Great value, great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2009

This old hotel has been updated and has excellent and accommodating staff. The furnishings are old and rooms and suites oddly shaped, which adds a sort of quirky personality. Not for those who want pristine accommodations but clean and friendly. Good wi-fi. Beds can sometimes be overly firm, but the staff will switch out rooms if they have them. Crowded during baseball season since it's just across a small bridge from Fenway Park.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rick R, General Manager at Boston Hotel Buckminster, responded to this review, October 12, 2016
Thank you for choosing the Hotel Buckminster and taking the time to provide feedback. We value your comments and share them with our staff in an effort to improve the guest experience. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Boston.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
los angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2009

i just got back from 3 days in boston visitng my son at b.u., and i chose to save money on the room...so i was going to stay in a b and b in brookine when i stumbled over a dirt cheap hotel across the street from fenway, at kenmore square, a perfect location to sight see boston as well as to hook up with my son who lives in allston...WHAT A PLEASNT SURPRISE!! a delightful staff, clean rooms ,, elegantly apponted lobby and furnishings, all for 85 bucks!!! that was less that nay b and b, and $100 less than any hotel in the area!!!...WHAT A FIND!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for completing the survey for us. We value your feedback and patronage. It is good to hear that you took advantage of our great location to experience all that Boston has to offer.
Bermuda
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2009

I have been staying at The Hotel Buckminster since 1987, first as the parent of a student in college nearby, and then after that as a passionate Red Sox Fan. While the hotel is undoubtedly one of the oldest in Boston, and probably does not have the same "snob" appeal as some others, that sets it apart from the generic modern hotel which could be in Atlanta, London or Berlin. It has it's own distinctive personality.

The rates are reasonable. The staff are the friendliest I have ever encountered and no problem has ever gone unresolved. The present owners/managers have spent time and money modernising the hotel without taking away from its charm.

While my visits are now Baseball related and the proximity to Fenway Park ideal, the location is great for virtually any visitor to Boston as it is minutes away from the "T" which provides transport to greater Boston.

The Buckminster is well run, in a prime location, reasonable, safe and friendly. I always recommend it to anybody I know who is visiting Boston.

Red Sox fan from Bermuda.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank MickelsNana
CT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2009

OK, where should I start... OK I'll start with the only positive I can think of. The girl at the front desk was very nice when we checked in. She even had a good sense of humor, which is obviously very necessary at this joke of a hotel.
Granted, this hotel is probably great for a drunken bunch of baseball fans after a Red Sox game because it is seconds from the ballpark, and they would probably be the only people tolerant of such a place, but for anyone sober, it is much too much to stomach.
The room was over 80 degrees and you were unable to turn the heat down, and if you opted to open the window, it sounded as if you were sleeping on the highway below. My entire body and mouth were so dry by morning that i drank 4 glasses of water just to get rehydrated. As if that isn't enough, the bed was so hard that my boyfriend's back is still recovering from sleeping on a 25 year old mattress.
We complained at the front desk about the heat and he told us that they were in the middle of installing a new heating system and they could have adjusted the heat for us from outside the room. This may have been a bit of necessary information at check-in, not check-out.. Also, from the past reviews, it seems as though many others have complained about this heating problem as far back as 2005 so I guess it is quite a lengthly installation process huh?
I am not a Hilton necessary type of person, but this place was the pits. Good thing I had good company to be there with or I really would have written a lousy review!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bed comfort/room comfort
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank sunnyc1967

Travelers are raving about these Boston hotels

Birmingham, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2008

When all other hotels and B&B's had failed me, the Buckminster came to my rescue and not only had availability but also came in cheaper than anyone else - although still not what I'd call cheap but then you'll find Boston is very pricey.

As I was in Boston just to look around all I really wanted was somewhere just to put my head down for the night, I wasn't looking for luxury because I didn't plan on spending anything but essential sleeping time there. And it did just that - nothing fancy but not worthy of the bad reports I've seen on Trip Advisor.The hotel is brilliantly located - Fenway Park is a few hundred yards away, there's restaurants all over the place and access to the subway is just down the road (Top tip: taxi from the airport cost me a rip off $35 but I got a 7 day pass on the T for $15 which gave me unlimited travel around Boston and I used that to get back to the airport from Buckminster - and that was surprisingly no hassle). If you choose to walk around the city like I did most of the time you'll find the harbour is about an hour away, which sounds a lot but it's well worth it if you want to get a real feel for the city.

The only problem I'd have with the Buckminster is the breakfast in the restaurant next door, which was quite basic and managed by two Japanese ladies who couldn't understand a word of what I was saying. Apart from that, everything was fine - oh, and I should point out that I thought the staff were really helpful and quite conversational. I would definitely recommend to friends.

• Liked — Convenient location
  • Disliked — Breakfast was a little lacklustre
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Hungry_Hippo_UK
Pleasant Hill, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2008

We were looking for an accessable place to stay while close to Fenway... This place can't be beat! Price moderate $109 a night is good for the location. Room is clean and bath is decent. Not much to look at but great for tired people who don't freak out about everything.

We had no trouble getting from the Logan airport to the hotel via the Metro. Get a $2 "Charlie" card to travel one way... nice! Then we took the Freedom Trail which is alot of walking but worth it. Once you are tired and a bit cold stop into the Au Bon Pain, where you can get a hot meal for cheap.

• Liked — Close to Fenway
  • Disliked — packed trains
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AmaliaO
Pelham, NH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2008

We stayed at the Buckminster for a bachelorette party and had a corner suite on the 6th floor. The hotel and room were very clean and the staff was extremely nice. The suite was great with a living area and two bedrooms. The hotel location was perfect in Kenmore square. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Great Location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends