“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #66 of 82 Hotels in Boston
Portland, Maine
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Having attended BU, I walked past this hotel all the time, and having stayed in Boston in hotels like the Lenox, Sheraton and the Brookline Holiday Inn when visiting Boston, I was intrigued by this place, and admittedly a little skeptical because of the lower prices here

My fears were allayed when I checked in for a night to attend a concert on Lansdowne St at the House of Blues with my girlfriend. After parking in the adjacent garage (30 bucks for the night), I was informed we had been upgraded to a suite. After walking to the second floor (elevator was broken but was not an issue for us) I was quite amazed... the room seemed more like an apartment-- hardwood floors, spacious living room, separate bedroom, full-sized fridge and large flat screens in both the living room and the bedroom. Far more room than we needed/expected but we certainly didn't complain!

There were no issues here, the room was clean and quiet, the bed incredibly comfortable, and the desk service very efficient. We popped into the new hotel restaurant/bar The Fenmore for a late night glass of wine, and the bartender (forget her name, but she was from Conway New Hampshire) treated us very well and was incredibly friendly!

I would definitely return here, even knowing full well it will probably be in a smaller room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnyMajorDude
Michael M, General Manager at Boston Hotel Buckminster, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Boston Hotel Buckminster. We are excited that you decided to stay with us and happy to hear that you had such a wonderful time. We pride ourselves on our cleanliness, guest service, and overall quality at a budget price. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Berkeley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

It all started with a payment glitch (which could have been avoided if their e-commerce system was a lot more efficient)...and then it \continued with me freezing in my room because, for some reason, the heating was shoddy and took a while to warm up to any respectable level. Fate delivered me with a warmer second day outside so that was a savior. It was a convenient location - it was reasonably-located to the T and other amenities. The food at the restaurant tasted average but we did receive a discounted brunch so I could not complain. The front desk receptionists were not too clever and had an attitude during me dealings with them. Also, the floor plan was like a maze and the elevator was very archaic. Otherwise, for the cost, some of these things were expected. My room had a really large picture window with a lovely view towards the entrance of BU.

Room Tip: Don't expect five star treatment. Just a great place to lay your head. Also, you are expected to...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Michael M, General Manager at Boston Hotel Buckminster, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Boston Hotel Buckminster. We appreciate everyone's feedback as it helps us as we strive to constantly improve our level of customer service. Our guests are our most valuable assets and we view every guests opinion as extremely important. We look forward to serving you again in the near future and thank you for your patronage.
Udaipur, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

We came in the room and it was really cold so we turned on the heat but it stayed cold for about 24 hours, we had to keep our coats and sleep with additional blankets... But the room was just fine with everything we needed!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Boston Hotel Buckminster, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Boston Hotel Buckminster. While we strive to always provide our guests with the best possible service sometimes we fall short. While we were experiencing a very cold winter season this has been difficult from time to time. I am sorry you feel that your stay with us was less than perfect and we hope that you will return to give us another opportunity to make your Boston experience perfect. Again, than you for choosing the Boston Hotel Buckminster.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Clean but dated rooms. Excellent breakfasts at reasonable prices. A bit out of town but next door to the Red Sox and 2 mins to the subway. The bar only serves beer and wine- what's that about? Plenty of places nearby to have a drink anyway. Reasonable room rate. Would stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for choosing the Boston Hotel Buckminster. We are always striving to improve the ways we can make our guests stay a memorable one. We appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you again. Thank you again for choosing the Boston Hotel Buckminster.
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

When I checked in none of the lights in my room worked. This was fixed in about an hour. When I was about to go to bed I found an empty wine bottle at my feet under the bed likely left by a previous guest. The next day when I came back from my work I found an empty cup on my night stand with some milky brown residue inside, most likely left by someone taking a "break" in my room. The hotel is in need of renovation and repair. The staff were all very friendly. Location is good. Heat worked though the window was broken and leaked cold air. I left a day early due to the dismal accommodations. All this was over $200 a night plus $30+ for parking. I made the staff aware of these things when I left and was credited a small (approx $20) amount. I do not recommend this hotel except for it's location.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thank you for choosing the Boston Hotel Buckminster and thank you for your feedback. We have addressed the issues you mentioned and I am truly sorry that you feel your stay was less than perfect and can assure you that we are continually trying to improve on ways to make your stay with us more memorable. I sincerely hope that you will give us another try when you come to Boston again.

Travelers are raving about these Boston hotels

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We booked this hotel and we could see Fenway from our window. The rooms were clean and the service was great. The rooms feel old but updated. Very affordable and in a very cool part of town. The GPS freaked out trying to get there but we will just blame that on the narrow Boston streets. Great stay, would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ashlie A
Thank you for choosing the Boston Hotel Buckminster. We appreciate your business and hope that you will come visit us again soon.
Hillsdale, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

Great find/ spotless; great and friendly staff. Great value for the money. Would definitely stay again. T just across the street. Very accessible to all places. On site bistro good for breakfast. Good coffee. Very historical . A must for baseball lovers/ u can see Fenway from some of the windows.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank randy740
Thank you for choosing the Boston Hotel Buckminster. We value each and every one of our guests and always strive for ways to improve upon making your stay with us a memorable one. Please come see us again soon!