“great location”

Boston Hotel Buckminster
Ranked #63 of 85 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed September 19, 2013

we booked this hotel because of its location to fenway park and was not dissapointed.
upon arrival we were upgraded to a bigger room on the fifth floor which was large clean and had a very comfortable bed with the added bonus of great views of city and fenway park and had no problems with street noise.
the only downside we felt should be mentioned was that the breakfast room did not match the standard of the rest of the hotel(too small and in need of modernising)
the hotel is very close to subway and has a car park next door,$30 for 24 hours may sound expensive but is the going rate for boston.
would stay here again when we visit boston.

Room Tip: if your there for baseball ask for room with view of fenway and get some great views.
1  Thank hotspur_9
Write a ReviewReviews (1,595)

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Let me start by we just got back from Boston and I am already trying to plan my next trip to Fenway and as soon as I do – I’m booking at the Hotel Buckminster! Book early – you get the best priced rooms that way.

Parking: It is self parking – very tight spaces, but very do-able. (Parking spots are at a premium in the cities.) We parked the car and didn’t move it until we left. (No dents or scratches – yay!) There is a fee for parking. The garage is located next door. We parked and carried our bags to check in.

Staff: All of the staff we encountered was smiling and very friendly. The check in attendant was helpful and explained what we needed to know.

We were “upgraded” from a regular room (which my friend told me is small – but I can’t comment since I did not see it) to a Junior King Suite. (THANKS BUCKMINSTER!). I think this is common practice when available because another friend told me to ask for a larger room on check-in – but I didn’t have to. I am very glad they did. We were in room 530, 5th floor with a FANTASTIC view of FENWAY PARK and Boston!!! We had requested a quiet room – which I always do. I don’t like to be near elevators or ice machines. Well – I wasn’t near those, but with the hotel being smack dab in the middle of Kenmore Square – it’s not too quiet. You can hear vehicles and people through the windows (they are old) but I never had a problem sleeping. It was more background noise than loud. The people noise goes late into the night (you are near the college and Fenway so there are a lot of people out and about and having a good time) but by morning they are all off the street so it isn’t a problem. It’s part of the ambiance!

The hotel is an old historic building (it is where the “Black Sox scandal” with the fixing of the 1919 World Series was born.), I gladly noticed they tried to keep the character of an old historic building but it is kept up well. Everything is freshly painted and extremely clean throughout the whole building.

Room: The Junior King suite has two rooms. There is a roomy living room area with a TV, couch, table and chairs, microwave and small fridge and roomy closet. The bathroom was off this room. The bedroom with king size COMFY bed with lotsa comfy pillows was in the next room. There is a desk, end table, armoire with drawers where the TV sits on it. The room also has a closet. If needed, the large windows open easily for outside air (yay!). Again everything is extremely clean. The temperature control for the room was fantastic. There are no noisy window air conditioners. The central air is very quiet and easy to control. We were there on an 80 degree day and a 44 degree morning, and never were uncomfortable. There is a blanket in the closet of the bedroom because the quilt on the bed may get too warm at night.

In between the rooms, which I liked a lot, is a door. I am an earlier riser than my husband and I let him sleep. Usually I bring a book, or I huddle near the TV with the sound turned way low until he wakes. BUT – there is a door in between the rooms, so I just closed it and was able to watch TV, have my coffee very comfortably. The only downfall was when I closed the door it squeaked LOUDLY at the hinges and he woke a little – but fell right back to sleep. So test your door for noise before you use it. (Remember – it’s an old hotel – it has CHARACTER!)

Bathroom: CLEAN! It is small – when the hotel was built in 1897 people were quite a bit smaller than we are today. The tub is small and the shower head is just a little bit low for my 6 foot 2 inch husband. It was fine for my 5 foot 6 inch height. The shower head was good and there is plenty of hot water. Didn’t have trouble with any changing water temps throughout both of our showers. Important info: make sure you use the bath mat they supply when taking a shower. My husband didn’t the first time and when the water and soap hits the tub floor – extremely slippery! He almost fell – it’s there for a reason. The bathroom door opens into the bathroom so you have to move around a bit to close it – but not a big deal. Large mirror and hairdryer also. And again – I have to stress it’s so clean!

Breakfast: The offer a complimentary continental breakfast from 7 am to 10 am. Unfortunately we didn’t take advantage of it. Our first morning, we wanted something more substantial so we ate in the attached restaurant (see note below). Then we got an early start the next morning and left before it started. I did go down and grabbed coffee to take back to my room. I didn’t look around much (I just wanted to get out of there – bed head hair and all and didn’t want to be seen). Coffee was good, but unfortunately I cannot comment on the food.

Neighborhood: The hotel is a few steps away from the subway/train station and there is a main bus stop extremely close. You can get anywhere in Boston easily without a car. Like I said the hotel is in the middle of a lot of action so there is people noise and car noise – but it never bothered us. We were there for a Red Sox-Yankee game after all. The neighborhood is extremely safe. We never felt threatened in any way. I people watched from my room and there were singles and groups walking all of the time. Nearby are many restaurants, bars, Bank of America (ATM). There is a Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks for the coffee people.

FENMORE AMERICAN BISTRO: It is attached to the Buckminster. We were given vouchers for money off breakfast and dinner. We ate one breakfast. The prices are comparable to cities, but not too outrageous. We both had two eggs, meat, home fries, toast and coffee for $10 ($5 with out vouchers). I almost got the $12 omelet which you can add many choices of fillings. They looked pretty good when I saw them on someone’s plate. The food was good. The coffee is really strong though – if you like that. We noticed a bar in the little restaurant – we could have had a couple adult beverages right there sometime. They also have a “take out” menu so you can order and bring the food back to your room. The choices looked pretty good.

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Hotel Buckminster. It’s extremely clean and beds are wicked comfortable. I WILL stay there again. It’s a perfect place for a YANKEES game at Fenway – it’s only about 300 feet away! Can’t get much closer!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a high floor for great views. Ask for larger room upgrade.
2  Thank bal1234
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed here with friends for a weekend in Boston, and granted this was one of the cheaper hotels we could find, I wasn't overly impressed. They charge $30 per night for overnight parking. Convenient location, as it is right next to BU and Fenway Park..(head down to the bars over there for a fun night out!) Our room was clean and comfortable, no issues there. However, they were adamant about not accepting our AAA discount, although their website clearly states that they normally take them.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Second time here, and it's still a great little place to stay. The price is right (for Boston), you can't beat the location (near downtown, Boston U and Fenway Park) and the metro line. The rooms are comfortable, beds are nice, pillows are good and it's clean. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The onsite restaurant is so-so, so venture out for something above average. This is now our go-to place when we we're lucky enough to be in Boston.

2  Thank BobMor
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Yes, the title is true because Boston Red Sox stadium is bang opposite this hotel. The rooms are pretty small compared to other hotels but the overall service is nice. There could be more options added to the morning breakfast though. The location is excellent with the subway station being extremely close. Copley square is at a walking distance as well. This hotel is good for short business trips and of course for baseball matches

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We had a very clean, spacious and comfortable 2 room suite on the third floor with a view of Fenway Park. There was a parking space for us in an adjacent garage for $30 per day (up to midday). We arrived early evening when the Red Sox were playing, so the traffic and crowds were horrendous, but we still got our parking space. There were reasonable restaurants and shops nearby, and a short walk to Kenmore Square subway station. The staff were friendly and helpful. There was a free continental breakfast available, but the breakfast room was quite small and it was difficult to get a seat. Our one issue was the lack of coffee and tea making facilities in the room.

1  Thank MartinB923
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

The check in process was ok....it wasn't their fault our room was not ready. We did check in without any problems. But when we returned to this hotel & was laughed at by Vincent & his (serurity guard), late at night after experiencing the Boston night life, I was NOT IMPRESSED! Great location, but I would probably not stay here again. Thanks 2 Vincent & his lack of customer service. We simply asked if anyone was still serving DRINKS! & were welcomed with laughs by the rude staff (Vincent) & his "Security Guard" was enough 2 NEVER want 2 stay here again. All we did was walk across the street 2 get a couple DRINKS! NEVER AGAIN BOSTON!

• Stayed: September 2013