“Great location and price, but bring earplugs”

Boston Hotel Buckminster
Ranked #63 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Buckminster May 3-5. It's true that some of the furnishings are a little out of date, but the room was very clean. I found the staff to be pleasant and helpful. In fact, they upgraded us to a larger room for the weekend. After doing quite a bit of online research, I have found that there is no better value in Boston. The complimentary breakfast runs late into the morning--something those of us who like to sleep in while on vacation really appreciate. And it's more than just bagels and coffee. They had waffles and a variety of fruit. Very nice. The television was analog, but I didn't come to Boston to watch TV. For what I saved over some other nearby hotels I can buy my own TV. This is a hotel that attracts concertgoers from the house of blues. Unfortunately a group of drunken concertgoers were in a room across the hall. Having read the reviews, we were prepared for this. I made sure to slam the door a couple of times at 8 AM the next morning. Fair is fair, right? Other than being awake from 2:00-2:30 one morning because of drunken revelers, we had a great stay at Hotel Buckminster.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank microfilmer

Reviewed May 13, 2013

A very clean hotel, close to everything you need as the subway is five minutes from your door. No noise form outside traffic or the nearby Red Sox. Lots of local bars and restaurants with plenty to eat. I walked into Boston both days we stayed so I could explore.

The staff were excellent as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a street view rather than an inner courtyard view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank stuihan
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Newly refurbished the hotel is clean and comfortable. We were given a free upgrade to a king suite which was excellent. The bed was huge and comfortable and the staff were really friendly and helpful. The hotel is situated near the Red Sox stadium and will probably get very busy during games. Overnight parking was expensive but everywhere is. Using the local underground is the best way to travel to the main attractions with stations nearby. The underground trains run frequently and is simple to understand. I thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 10, 2013

customer service is horrible. I didn't receive any confirmation email when I reserved the hotel room and neither did I receive one when I cancelled my reservation. they charged me despite of my cancellation a month ahead of time and denied any service to help me solve the problem. The manager was rude and unreasonable.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've travelled to Boston a few different times now. I always stay at the Hotel Buckminster. It is about a block from the Subway station and is near many good restaurants. It's an older hotel that has a lot of charm. The single bed rooms are a little small but when you're only there to sleep it works out perfectly!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Me and my 2 friends chose this hotel because it has a great location. It is nearby to Kenmore Station of Boston's subway, so it is easy to get around and go to other sights. The hotel is also a short walk away from Fenway Park, the famous Citgo Sign and Boston University. There's also a House of Blues nearby, so that was great. :D

The price we paid for was for a standard room, but I believe we got upgraded to a suite. The room had a separate living room and bedroom. It also had its own microwave and 2 tv's and there was an iPod dock. The room is definitely very nice and it had a great view of Fenway Park as well. The beds were very comfy and the room was cold but just right, so it was real easy to snuggle and hide under the sheets.

The hotel did provide free breakfast as well, however we didn't get to utilize, so no comment on the quality there. There was a few restaurants nearby, a McDonalds, Auntie Anne's, etc. There was also an UNO Restaurant near the hotel entrance.

Service wise, the hotel performed excellently. My two friends who came from a tropical country was leaving the US the next day, at 2 am that night, we got back to the hotel and it was snowing. It would also be their last time to see snow in a long time, and so they started getting crazy and went out to take pictures in the snow. A person from the front desk saw this and he himself came out to the snow and offered to take pictures for us. Just excellent customer service, for which I am truly appreciative of. Kudos to you sir.

Overall, a highly recommended place to stay in.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank xploredworld
Reviewed May 4, 2013

My fiance and I found the The Buck easy to drive to, close to the T, We were not here to see a Boston Red Sox game, but it is close to Fenway. The room ( 321) was large and comfortable , with a sitting room with Flat screen TV, microwave, refrigerator, desk, wifi, couch and armchair.
The bedroom held two full or queen beds, which were comfortable. The bathroom was smallish but adequate. Overall the room was impeccable and clean. The Continental breakfast was perfect with a good assortment of breads, danish, muffins, fresh fruit, waffles, yogurt, cereal, juices and coffee. One suggestion I would make is that the clean trays be placed near the entrance rather than at the end of the buffet tables. it did cause some confusion as guests were taking the dirty trays by the door as they entered. It certainly is nothing more than only a minor issue. Parking( a tad pricey but very convenient) is available. The staff was extremely pleasant, polite and professional.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple